PDA

View Full Version : Instructional Videos

02-23-2003, 10:31 PM
I'm looking for recommendations on instructional videos. I was also wondering if these really have helped anyone and if there are any that are better than others as far as learning anything above and beyond the basics. I am an intermediate to advanced player and I know the basics and I am just looking for that little edge that will maybe teach me some things I don't know and also give me some ideas on what to practice and how to improve the things I do for practice (i.e. drills, etc). As opposed to just banging balls and playing in tournaments and leaugue. Thanks, Brian

bluewolf
02-24-2003, 06:29 AM
Kicks (only kicks?)- Grady Matthews, purchase at accu-stat

Laura

02-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Yes they do but you need to look at them before you buy them. There are some pool halls that show them , But the best place to get them is at Billiards Supplies story handles them and ask them about the tape you are going to buy pricey but you get what you pay for . /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mike H
02-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Check out Bert Kinister's video series. He's got tons of great drills and one-pocket shots, and you may pick up a little extra knowledge also. His website is www.BertKinister.com (http://www.BertKinister.com) .

Wally_in_Cincy
02-28-2003, 01:55 PM
What games do you play?

Some have recommended Bert Kinister's tape #1 "8-ball and 9-ball Workout"

If you're are really intermediate to advanced maybe check out tape #20 "Advanced workout for 8-ball and 9-ball"

There's a lot out there, some really good, some really bad, most in between.

I'm surprised you didn't get more response. Ask the same question again in a month and see what happens.

02-28-2003, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> What games do you play?

Some have recommended Bert Kinister's tape #1 "8-ball and 9-ball Workout"

If you're are really intermediate to advanced maybe check out tape #20 "Advanced workout for 8-ball and 9-ball"

There's a lot out there, some really good, some really bad, most in between.

I'm surprised you didn't get more response. Ask the same question again in a month and see what happens. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm suprised too (that I didn't get more responses). Guess it's because I'm just a loser "newbie", lol. Anyhow, I used to play mostly nine ball when I had access to a nice pool hall. Now where I live, it's mostly 8 ball on barboxes. Thanks for the tips on the Kinnister series tapes. And my exact reason for posting this thread was because of precisely what you said. "That some are very good and some are very bad". I didn't want to waste my money on something that really sucked because I know they are expensive. Thanks everybody!

P.S. - What about Robert Byrne? Anybody know anything about his tapes?

Fred Agnir
02-28-2003, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr> P.S. - What about Robert Byrne? Anybody know anything about his tapes? <hr /></blockquote>
All instructional videos suck. There isn't one good one out there.

Hope this helps,

Fred

bluewolf
02-28-2003, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr> P.S. - What about Robert Byrne? Anybody know anything about his tapes? <hr /></blockquote>
All instructional videos suck. There isn't one good one out there.

Hope this helps,

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I have a couple of instructional videos. I have kicks by grady matthews, how to run 100 balls and a berne video and a one pocket video that scott sold us. I also have some videos made by accustat of tournaments. I think these are probably better than most so called instructional videos. I also have a few books. I think the books are better for the money especailly Black Belt Billiards and I have the Berne book on my list. For the money though, I think a lesson with a great instructor is more beneficail and more economical also.

Some instructors also tape the lesson and you always have the tape to go back and reveiw the session.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
03-01-2003, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr>
I'm suprised too (that I didn't get more responses). Guess it's because I'm just a loser "newbie", lol.....

...I didn't want to waste my money on something that really sucked because I know they are expensive <hr /></blockquote>

I hope Fred was joking. Hmmm?

If you are a newbie you could learn a lot from Instructional tapes. I probably have about a dozen.

I'll start with the worst: "Winning 8-ball with Bobby Burnett". Whatever you do do not buy this tape. It has to be the worst I've ever seen.

I only have a handful of Kinister's tapes but one of my favorites is "It's a Hanger" all about getting position off of pocket hangers. It's an often overlooked but very important part of the game.

"the Art of 8-ball" with Jimmy Reid is worth the money. I just got it and I've only watched it once but it's a pretty good tape, especially for a newbie.

My favorites of all time are "Perfect Pool" and "The Runout Series" by Mike Sigel. There's a vast amount of knowledge in these, but he makes it look so damned easy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I don't know if you can find them now. If not, PM me and maybe I can dub you a copy.

03-02-2003, 06:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> If you are a newbie you could learn a lot from Instructional tapes.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

Thanks for the info Wally. Oh, and about the "newbie" thing, I was referring to being a newbie on the CCB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

03-03-2003, 03:20 PM
we rent bert kinnester tapes in our hall to players. well done tapes! the best

Fred Agnir
03-03-2003, 03:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr>
I'm suprised too (that I didn't get more responses). Guess it's because I'm just a loser "newbie", lol.....

...I didn't want to waste my money on something that really sucked because I know they are expensive <hr /></blockquote>

I hope Fred was joking. Hmmm?<hr /></blockquote>
Sorry, I forgot I wrote that response! Yup, I was kidding. I was hoping to get more responses.

Anyway, for those that I didn't write this to, here's a link to a review of many of the Kinister tapes:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=19990130164813.21075.00000294%40ng108. aol.com&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain

Or did I already post this?

Fred &lt;~~~ can't remember anything

03-03-2003, 10:02 PM
You are doing the right thing, ask 50 people what tapes helped them the most, then acquire those. You cant learn how to play great just watching a tape, or reading a book. Neither of them can see &amp; check your basics or line you up properly. You first find your teacher, and take weekly lessons from him for at least a couple of years.
Ask him what books or tapes compliment his teachings, you dont want him teaching you one method, the book another, and the tape a third thing. All 3 must be in sinc, and you need all 3, but first comes the professional teacher, spend your money on him first &amp; not on tapes &amp; books. He is not a professional teacher, if he does not teach with a video camera, never take a lesson ever, if it does not feature this, because the video student advances 4 times faster than the student who gets the old fashioned yak at them method. Taking lessons without a camera is paying 4 times more that you should have to. Fast Larry