PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Danny Hewitt

Steve Lipsky
02-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Danny Hewitt won the Atlantic City 10-ball event after losing his first round match.

Many of us may have experience coming through the loser's side and doing well in the dopey tournaments we usually play /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but to do this in a pro tournament is truly phenomenal.

What an inspired lesson we can learn from this. Talk about a mental toughness; he took down champion after champion after champion (many hill-hill), and persevered to win the whole damned event.

Amazing. I don't know Danny, but after this, I know something about Danny.

- Steve

cheesemouse
02-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Steve,
Truely an amazing feat. Going thru the losers bracket in any field of 64 and above is tough duty even for the young and energetic. To do it in a 'pro' event tells us all something about this guy and his game. A world class proformance with what must be a world class game... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eric.
02-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Good point. I'll add this; Danny beat a red-hot Bustamante to get to the "B side hot seat". Remember, Bustamante just ran through Strickland the nite before [it was 8-1 Bustamante, after running 3 racks, before Earl won again]. Then he beats R Alcano who was playing pretty sporty as well. A lesser player would have been out of gas at that point. Looks like Danny is no longer "Mister Runner up".

Eric

Rich R.
02-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Eric, Bustamante not only beat Strickland the night before, he also beat Reyes before that. Strickland and Reyes, back to back. And if that wasn't hot enough, he beat Archer the day before.
Either Hewitt has one heck of a game, or Bustamante ran out of gas. I think Hewitt had the game, for at least that tournament. It will be interesting to see how he does in the next big tournament.

Ross
02-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Congrats to Danny for beating some tough players.

Hate to say it, but it looks like he benefitted from Rempe choking big time. According to azbilliards, Rempe had TWO ball-in-hands with an open table in the hill-hill game and failed to get out both times.

Rich R.
02-24-2003, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>Hate to say it, but it looks like he benefitted from Rempe choking big time. According to azbilliards, Rempe had TWO ball-in-hands with an open table in the hill-hill game and failed to get out both times. <hr /></blockquote>
I got the same impression Ross. Maybe it has been a while since Rempe has played a match for that kind of cash. It just goes to show you that any body can choke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric.
02-24-2003, 03:34 PM
What I found surprising about Hewitt is that while watching him on Sat., he didn't seem to be playing "dominant". In the last match of the night vs. Raphael Martinez, he almost lost. At 9-7 Martinez, Hewitt managed to come back and win it. To his credit, he did make a come back, but like the Rempe match, if it weren't for a couple of Martinez misses, it would have been over. Oh well, that's pool. Congrats, Danny!

Eric

Thierry Layani
02-24-2003, 04:37 PM
You don't know how proud I am of my friend. And as I said elsewhere this is even more wonderful because that was Danny's first win in a pro tournament. He kept on finishing 2nd place (about 8 tournaments in 2002) and it seems he could never win. Danny still can't believe it himself. He says to me on the phone today, "I think I may have won the tournament yesterday but I'm still not sure". For him this is more than just a tournament it's the start of a real career. Danny practices for about 40 to 50 hours a week, he trains at the gym, he does everything he has to do to become a world champion, and I'm convinced one day will be his day. I've seen most of the players in the world play at their best and I do put Danny amongst them. He still has a lot to learn, but with his talent and perseverance anything's possible. Danny still manages to impress me when I watch him play because he masters the game so incredibly. Danny can run so many racks (6 or 7 in a row regularly)and with his peculiar style even if I know his game completely, he still amazes me, the same way Reyes, Bustamante or Alex P. does. Still he has a long way to go before being constantly at this level but now it's in the mind that he must concentrate his effort.
I'm probably as excited as he is, I just thought I'd share my pool related joy with you all.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

L.S. Dennis
02-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Congrat to the young Danny Hewitt, it's always nice to new people come into the game. One the other hand let's not forget a warm round of applause for 'Kings James' as well!

The guy is 56 years old and you gotta know that he wanted this one too not having won for a while now.

So all the best to the two of them, and maybe they can match up again before too long!

02-25-2003, 12:50 AM
I've said it over &amp; over, shoot straight, innovate &amp; never give up no matter how bad it looks. Once a player actually does this, hangs in there against odds that tell him he has no chance, and actually over comes &amp; wins, then he has the heart of a lion, &amp; should remain a champion for many years to come. Everyone loves to see a under dog win, and new champions to emerge. Never give up, it sounds so simple, but it is such a vital thing, that few really understand it's meaning. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger