PDA

View Full Version : Guy Gambling Next To You Owes You Money???

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Tell me, how many of y'all would refrain from voicing verbally some kind of jab like, "Hey friend, you better get him to post, cuz he still owes me money from last year, and keeps promising to begin to get some for me!" This thing is just starting to piss me off having somebody with the nerve to be moving pennies on 9-ball sets RIGHT NEXT TO ME while owing me from long ago.

When is it time to be an A-hole???sid

cycopath
02-24-2003, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Tell me, how many of y'all would refrain from voicing verbally some kind of jab like, "Hey friend, you better get him to post, cuz he still owes me money from last year, and keeps promising to begin to get some for me!" This thing is just starting to piss me off having somebody with the nerve to be moving pennies on 9-ball sets RIGHT NEXT TO ME while owing me from long ago.

When is it time to be an A-hole???sid <hr /></blockquote>Break his f****** thumbs!

Naw, I'm just playing. I'd keep bringing it up in front of people, as to embarass the sh*t out of him. Everytime you see the guy playing someone come up and say in a loud voice, "Hey man, when are you gonna pay me my ____ bucks I beat you out of?". He'll probably eventually get tired of the shame and pay up. And if not... BREAK HIS F****** THUMBS!

Wally_in_Cincy
02-24-2003, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Tell me, how many of y'all would refrain from voicing verbally some kind of jab like, "Hey friend, you better get him to post, cuz he still owes me money from last year, and keeps promising to begin to get some for me!" This thing is just starting to piss me off having somebody with the nerve to be moving pennies on 9-ball sets RIGHT NEXT TO ME while owing me from long ago.

When is it time to be an A-hole???sid <hr /></blockquote>

If you have discussed this with him privately and he has promised and not delivered, might as well be an ass about it. What have you got to lose?

Obviously you don't consider this guy a friend.

02-24-2003, 11:45 AM

When is it time to be an A-hole???sid <hr /></blockquote>

honestly, it's way past time. this sort of thing is poisonous and will cause others to think they can play you, lose and just walk away.

dan

Kato
02-24-2003, 11:53 AM
honestly, it's way past time. this sort of thing is poisonous and will cause others to think they can play you, lose and just walk away.

dan <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with Dan. I think it's disrespectful and flat out wrong. Do what you gotta do.

Kato~~~is owed a gambling debt from very long ago and will never get over it.

Popcorn
02-24-2003, 12:20 PM
It is nobody else's business. Just quietly say to the guy, Hay, you know you still owe me money from before, so if you book a winner here lets us get straightened out, OK? If he wins you will get something for sure. I have had the same thing come up and it always got me my money.

Popcorn
02-24-2003, 12:29 PM
I don't fight over money. Some of these guys would like you to make a big deal out of it, you come off looking like a jerk and won't get paid. It gives them an excuse not to pay, at least in their minds. Honestly, people I play with pretty much always pay, there is no reason not to, we respect each other. It has happened, but it is rare. With strangers, I like to put up, without exception. Either way, I don't fight over money.

Popcorn
02-24-2003, 12:35 PM
You will never get paid like that, it's nobodies business he owes you money. It is between you and him. Besides, if you make a public display and try to embarrass him, you come off looking like a jerk. Keep this stuff private. Gambling is an adult, mature activity, and has to be treated that way. It is not for hot heads and childish people. I am selective of who I choose to gamble with.

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2003, 01:28 PM
I believe this is the truth. It's always been "the buzz" amongst the small groups around the room when two players are on adjoining tables, one owing the other "the cash" for a long time. I don't care to think about people seeing me as a sucker for an air game, payment maybe in the next decade...sid~~~simply lost my good nature about this

DSAPOLIS
02-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Sid

I have an article entitled "Gone Fishin'" that deals with how to handle this situation. It is currently posted on my intructional section at 8 ball.org. , here is the link:
http://www.8ball.org/blackjack.htm

It's a rather lengthy article, but it is extremely useful in situations such as this.

Blackjack David Sapolis

cycopath
02-24-2003, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You will never get paid like that, it's nobodies business he owes you money. It is between you and him. Besides, if you make a public display and try to embarrass him, you come off looking like a jerk. Keep this stuff private. Gambling is an adult, mature activity, and has to be treated that way. It is not for hot heads and childish people. I am selective of who I choose to gamble with. <hr /></blockquote>Mature adults pay their debts. Immature jerks do not. And they should be treated as such.

Popcorn
02-24-2003, 02:40 PM
At what point does what has transacted between you and another player become public business? At no point is it anybody's business. Even losing and possibility getting stiffed, requires a mature attitude. What you propose is childish and is not likely to get you your money. Gambling is obviously not for everybody. Like I said, it is an adult activity. If you are having problems, you need to be more selective who you gamble with.
Added thought:
I came back to add an edit to this. I was not in any way being sarcastic with my remarks. Gambling is an activity that is not for everybody. It requires a certain amount maturity and class. Two guys playing for $5 a game in the local poolroom, still need to show the same class as two guys playing for a $1000. a game. When you gamble, you must be playing for the money, not because on any ego thing or grudge you have with someone. If you can't gamble with someone and be able to go to dinner together after the game regardless of the outcome, you maybe should not be gambling. Just my opinion

Hopster
02-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Sid, the best thing to do is forget about it and chalk it up to experience unless you want to make an example of the guy and crack his mellon open to send out a message.
Sometimes its best to do the first thing, sometimes its better to do the second.
You got to figure out whats best for you.

DSAPOLIS
02-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Quote Popcorn:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will never get paid like that, it's nobodies business he owes you money. It is between you and him. Besides, if you make a public display and try to embarrass him, you come off looking like a jerk. Keep this stuff private. Gambling is an adult, mature activity, and has to be treated that way. It is not for hot heads and childish people. I am selective of who I choose to gamble with.

Popcorn,
with all due respect, you are way off base on that statement. The STIFF embarrassed himself in public, not the other way around. If I was in Sid's shoes, I'd spread the good word around and I wouldn't stop until everybody knew about the owed debt. The only way to save face in this situation (if you are the STIFF) is to make an honest attempt to pay back the guy that you owe as soon as possible or to give something up as collateral, be a watch, a ring, a cue, etc. It ain't my fault the louse gambled money he didn't have, that's on him. If he was man enough to bet it, he should be man enough to pay it when he owes it. Ask for payment upon the sinking of the money ball - NO EXCEPTIONS - the nicer you are to somebody, the easier it will be to for him to screw you. Some people mistake kindness for weakness. If you owe me, and I see you playing someone else and winning, your damn right I'll say something to the guy, because in actaulity, it's MY money he's winning, not his own. He'd be better off losing again than trying to get past me with the cash.

Blackjack David Sapolis
El Paso, Texas

Ross
02-24-2003, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It is nobody else's business. Just quietly say to the guy, Hay, you know you still owe me money from before, so if you book a winner here lets us get straightened out, OK? If he wins you will get something for sure. I have had the same thing come up and it always got me my money. <hr /></blockquote>

I have to agree with Popcorn here. His approach is effective (gets him what he wants and deserves) and avoids the silly melodrama we often see in many poolrooms. If I somehow found out that he took that approach with someone who owed him money, I would respect him more, not less, than someone who decided to humiliate the "stiff."

bluewolf
02-24-2003, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> At what point does what has transacted between you and another player become public business? At no point is it anybody's business. Even losing and possibility getting stiffed, requires a mature attitude. What you propose is childish and is not likely to get you your money. Gambling is obviously not for everybody. Like I said, it is an adult activity. If you are having problems, you need to be more selective who you gamble with. <hr /></blockquote>

OOUCH!!!!

Laura

cycopath
02-24-2003, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> At what point does what has transacted between you and another player become public business? At no point is it anybody's business. Even losing and possibility getting stiffed, requires a mature attitude. What you propose is childish and is not likely to get you your money. Gambling is obviously not for everybody. Like I said, it is an adult activity. If you are having problems, you need to be more selective who you gamble with. <hr /></blockquote>I don't want to argue with on this but, unfortunately there isn't a Better Business Bureau when it comes to gambling in poolhalls. So how else is the next guy suppose to know this nit is betting money he doesn't have, unless someone speaks up. That's my point.

Popcorn
02-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Now you are really getting into a sensitive area. I once went out side and called a guy from a pay phone to tell him he was playing someone without a nickel in their pocket. Nobody wants to be labeled a pool detective or knocker, but sometimes you do need to get involved. Just don't get caught.

02-24-2003, 04:26 PM
there is a whole 'nother point that might as well be made here. the guy who owes you the money has, in effect, taken out a loan from you the same as if he had your cash in his jeans. so, isn't it also fair to charge him some interest? since it's a street loan then street rates might apply.

i know. you're not getting paid the principal so why think you can get more? just the principle of the thing. also, if you don't pay sears, they'll slander your name all over the place. credit ratings &amp; reports. the ethics of this deal cut pretty clearly to the side of you not letting the guy get away with it completely.

and no, i'm not suggesting coming up from behind with a brick. probably not worth that but messing with his local credit rating is absolutely fair.

dan...i'm thinking 10%/week.

Hopster
02-24-2003, 05:18 PM
10 points a week ? Pretty stiff but i like it !!! lol

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2003, 05:21 PM
...tells me that this other guy in the PH I've played once in a while never has cash, "Make him post, or else he'll not pay you." I felt like laying into him with the "kettle black routine", and yet I was in a good mood plus I did understand that he was giving me SOMETHING, solid advice(I already knew about the other guy though.) Still, it takes some nerve in my opinion, to talk about someone else while you yourself owe an old debt. As far as being gentlemanly and not cracking a comment outload this past weekend, the stiff was playing another friend of mine. I'd have been like killing two birds with one stone had I said something,,,warned another friend and jabbed at an old debt. I'm getting close to saying f*** it and saying it outload...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
02-24-2003, 06:06 PM
1. Always get your game defined. Helps stopping those questions in the middle of the match, like "are we playing the 3 foul rule?"

2. Post the money, or have a 3rd party hold the cash.

3. If its big money (over $100) you'd best have some friends around. This will help avoid some confrontations, hopefully.

4. If your opponent wants to continue to play and he doesn't have any money, but is willing to pay later, hold his cue until he does. If the cue isn't worth the bet, DON't Play.. call it quits. From this point on, you are taking the bigger risk.

5. Never gamble with strangers unless you see the money and make sure you follow the 1st 3 rules.

6. there is plenty of more rules to add here... the above are just for starters.

BTW... if you want to keep your friends, keep the bet small and remember you will be seeing them again.

Love to see what others think the rules of gambling should be.. especially for medium stakes.. The game and conditions change somewhat when the BET gets into the Hundreds.

02-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Howdy all, I currently have a guy out there who owes me 1,100 from a 22 hour one pocket marathon, and I have discovered that it is NOT his fault that he owes me money, and this goes for everybody that has ever gotten stiffed, if a guy owes me money then I mismanaged my customer and he got the best of it, I have never blown up in his face about it, I am sure that I will get my money eventually, but it is my fault for not posting and letting the guy go on the wire for so long.

~Seattle Smiddy~

02-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Great rules for gambling, Tom. As someone who has been in the lending business for years, I can tell you from experience you're more likely to get your money if you are nice, but firm, with your request. That being said, I'm not sure how applicable this is in the pool hall! I see this situation as the perfect opportunity to get your money, which should be the real goal. Just quietly comment to the stiff that should he win, you will expect the money due you immediately, and if he doesn't that you will expect it soon. If he wins, he'll have no excuse not to pay, and if he doesn't, at least he knows you haven't forgotten. You didn't mention how much this guy owes you. In the pool hall I came up in, if you stiffed a guy the owner would ban you from the place until you paid up. I'm not a big fan of gambling, but the pressure and excitement of a money game still holds an allure for me.

02-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Dear Mr. Vicious, I was taught it is not smart to gamble with people strange to you, and if you are going to gamble, you are going to get stiffed, that goes with the territory.
Dont't go nuts &amp; try &amp; do a Rambo on the dude, and don't waste your time running around telling everyone for the rest of your life he is a bum. You have better things to do with your life. I have spent a lot of time in the far East. In China, they have a saying, when you seek revenge, dig two graves, one for your victim, and one for your soul. Hate &amp; anger is poison to the soul. Learn to chill, let things just ride. Now back to your problem, Wonder Dog is 135 lbs, he is half German Shepherd, half great dane &amp; bloodhound. Rent old Wonder Dog for $200 a day, he can track this bum down, &amp; chew him to shreds, problem solved. There will be nothing left but hair &amp; eyeballs all over the joint when he is done, you will love it, probably give him a big tip.
Just Kidding, but seriously, dont sweat the small stuff, just rent Wonder for the big stuff. Fast Larry Guninger

sack316
02-25-2003, 03:16 AM
question: "When is it time to be an A-hole???"
answer: at the point you find out he is playing for money he doesn't have.

bluewolf
02-25-2003, 06:34 AM
I am not good enough to gamble unless I found some sl4 sucker who would play offhanded LOL.

Anyway, I feel that 'being smart is knowing what you are dumb at'. This means knowing my limitations including my personality limitations. There is just about nothing as embarrassing to me as asking someone for money that they owe me.

So i think that I would want both of us to show the money before we played the games. If I screwed up that one I think that if he could not pay I would talk to him and see if he or she wanted to 'barter' and do a payment plan. Then I would not play with that person again.

I just do not think it is a good idea to make enemies or risk getting rolled by their friends. Also in the old days, if a person did not pay they got beat up or killed. I am not willing to be that rough with someone to threaten or fight them. So that is my limitation.

There is an old saying 'if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen'. If I tried to gamble and did not have what it took to deal with the situation because I did not have enuff nerve to ask for my money, try to work it out etc, then I would not gamble anymore. I also would not gamble with friends unless it was for a beer or a dinner because it is not a great idea to 'mix business with pleasure (friendship)".

just my niave opinion /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Ralph S.
02-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Sid, I feel for ya man. I've been there myself. If I had the money owed me from gambling debts alone I could buy several new cues, nice ones at that. I have gotten some of the old debts payed back to me but had to get it the old fashioned way by flexing a little muscle if ya know what I mean. If you arent much of the fighting kind I would suggest you not do that though as you may take some lumps yourself. As far as ruining the guys action depends on what he owes you and how much action he really gets. If he owes you a c-note or better and he does get good action, then I wouldnt hesitate to make things difficult for him. Just my opinions here and hope they help ya.
Ralph S.

02-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Dear blue wolf, seriously, what is sl4 lol, did you just get in from another planet, or am I getting old &amp; losing it.
Fast Larry

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 06:21 AM
I wondered the same thing when I got here, Larry. That refers to an APA 4, sl4 means skill level 4.

Laura