PDA

View Full Version : How do I get this crap out of my wrap?

02-24-2003, 08:30 PM
After practicing the other night I wiped down my cue with a dry towel. Little threads from the towel somehow got stuck in the wrap and I can't get them out. It's really annoying to play with. Any suggestions on how to get them out? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

L.S. Dennis
02-24-2003, 10:16 PM
I'm assuming that the wrap you have is irish linnen. It's strange that a towel would have done that! Anyway you might want to try a little spray of carpet spot cleaner to both clean your wrap and possible also get that stuff out from the towel. Good luch with it!

02-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Go to a cue repair guy & have it rewrapped, it is not that expensive. Nothing last's forever, things wear out, when they do, fix them. If the cue is new and cheap, then next time spend over $100 & buy a decent stick. If the cue is less than a year old, call the seller, perhaps they will fix it & it is in warrenty. If it is a used cue you bought for less than $50, toss it in the trash can. I have cues I have cleaned the Irish Linnen wrap with once a week for years with grip cleaner or just a warm damp towel & have never had a problem with them, did you know what this stuff really is? It is fishline. Your wrap, if there was no abuse by you, it may have just been put on poorly, but who am I to judge not seeing your cue. I played with a leather grip for 40 years, they are great, consider that. Good luck, Fast Larry Guninger.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-25-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>
*snip*....If the cue is less than a year old, call the seller, perhaps they will fix it &amp; it is in warrenty....*snip*<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry from "predator warps" thread:</font><hr> 99% of warped shafts are caused by customer neglect, you leaned the cue up against the wall while playing for 2 years &amp; now wonder why it goes blop blop when you roll it over. Now you want the mfgr to replace something you ruined...*snip*<hr /></blockquote>

If you don't want to be quoted out of context don't make it so easy.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Maybe try a damp, lint-free cloth, like a mechanic's shop rag, cleaning with the "grain"?

Or a soft brush, like something between a shoeshine brush and a hairbrush, again cleaning "with the grain"?

Or maybe it will wear off eventually.

Wally~~never heard of this problem before

Fred Agnir
02-25-2003, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> I have cues I have cleaned the Irish Linnen wrap with once a week for years with grip cleaner or just a warm damp towel &amp; have never had a problem with them, <hr /></blockquote>
As much as I love Schulers, it's the only brand of stick that I've had any problems with in cleaning the wrap. It fuzzed up immediately upon contact with a damp towel. None of my other cues have even hinted at fuzzing. Do they sand the wrap?

So, I assume this can happen to all Schulers (as it did to mine before and after Ray rewrapped it). So, has that happened to you, and what do you do about it?

Fred

02-25-2003, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Go to a cue repair guy &amp; have it rewrapped, it is not that expensive. Nothing last's forever, things wear out, when they do, fix them. If the cue is new and cheap, then next time spend over $100 &amp; buy a decent stick. If the cue is less than a year old, call the seller, perhaps they will fix it &amp; it is in warrenty. If it is a used cue you bought for less than $50, toss it in the trash can. I have cues I have cleaned the Irish Linnen wrap with once a week for years with grip cleaner or just a warm damp towel &amp; have never had a problem with them, did you know what this stuff really is? It is fishline. Your wrap, if there was no abuse by you, it may have just been put on poorly, but who am I to judge not seeing your cue. I played with a leather grip for 40 years, they are great, consider that. Good luck, Fast Larry Guninger. <hr /></blockquote>
Its a Viking that I bought new for about $300. I don't think it comes with a warranty. I take good care of it, I never lean my sticks on anything. How much is it to replace a wrap?

02-25-2003, 09:04 AM
I forgot to mention I've had it for about 4 months.

L.S. Dennis
02-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Before resorting to getting it rewraped, I would exhaust all measures in trying to clean it first. Try some of the things that were mentioned, if it's a $300. cue the wrap should be decent and should be able to be cleaned.

It that fails generally a rewraping can go for anywhere between $30. and $50.

Rod
02-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Have you tried something along the line of a lint remover? Roll up some masking tape or similar with the tacky side out. Then roll it against the wrap. Sounds like your wrap has some fuzzy ends and needs a little attention.

Rod

Rod
02-25-2003, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
As much as I love Schulers, it's the only brand of stick that I've had any problems with in cleaning the wrap. It fuzzed up immediately upon contact with a damp towel. None of my other cues have even hinted at fuzzing. Do they sand the wrap?

So, I assume this can happen to all Schulers (as it did to mine before and after Ray rewrapped it). So, has that happened to you, and what do you do about it?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I've played with two (2) Schulers and both had fuzzy wraps. It's something I don't forget because I don't like that feeling. A local guy uses some kind of liquid sealer? but that does not last the test of time. I think some of these wraps must have been sanded but have no idea what Schuler did.

One way to get rid of the fuzzies. Clean the wrap with denatured alcohol in the direction the cue was wrapped. It needs to be oil and dirt free. Turn the cue in the same direction smoothing down the fuzz as much as possible. Tape off both ends forearm and butt flush with wrap. Using clear laquer give the wrap two med coats and let dry 24 hours. Sand the wrap with 800 in the same direction, it will knock off the fuzz. The laquer soaks in so you never know it is there. I've done this several times because of no repair available locally. It works very well but few will venture there since it can be re=wrapped.

~~~rod has lived in more remote areas

02-25-2003, 08:56 PM
If you have a good cue repair person around, you should be able to get it done for about $40. If not, there are several online you can go with. Scott Sherbine @ Proficient Billiards (jipz.com) or Mueller Pool &amp; Dart Supply (poolndarts.com) do quality work, though there are certainly others. I would try to clean it yourself first, as if you end up re-wrapping, you have nothing to lose. I would think that maybe the friction from your rag fluffed the wrap up, and it's probably not the fibers from the rag that you're feeling, but that of the wrap itself. Probably will take a professional cue person to overcome your problem.

Jimmy Mendoza
02-26-2003, 03:53 PM
If that is the problem, going over the wrap with a piece of wax paper will smooth it out and have it feeling new.

Barbara
02-26-2003, 04:04 PM
If the wrap got scuffed up, get the help of a professional cue repair person to "press" the wrap back down. This cannot be down without the aid of a lathe.

I had an old Palmer rewrapped with Cortland. Looked great and the green specks really picked up on one of the green veneers over the points. It started to get dirty so I thought I would wipe it down. Since the wrap was almost new and had little skin oil content, it fluffed up out the wazoo like NOBODY's business!! And I had a tournament that Saturday!! Well, I got a hold of the cue man for that room - Paul Fanelli - the night before the tourny and he pressed it back down.

I never took a wet rag to it again, but the wrap job didn't last because it wasn't done right in the first place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara

02-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think it was just the wrap fluffing up. The wax paper took care of it but hopefully not just temporarily.

Irish
02-27-2003, 01:34 PM
If the problem is that your wrap is "fluffing" as you say then the answer is to take your cue to a cue maker/repairman and get it sanded on the lathe. That will remove this problem.

L.S. Dennis
02-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Actually I think what you'll want to do is to take it to someone withe a lathe which most cue repair people use and have them 'press' the wrap. I don't think what you want them to do is to 'sand the wrap'. Anyway they'll know what to do when you bring it to them.