PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Tourney's

02-25-2003, 04:59 AM
Do any of you tounament winners have any suggestions for getting better results in tournaments. For some reason my tournament record in not real good. Even though I'm usually in the top 10% of the field when it comes to abillity, I just don't get good results. A lot of the time I end up matching up with the first or second place finisher after the tourney and have very good results gambling against them. I just seem to get upset far to often in the tourneys. Any tips to help out here would be appriated.

Mike H
02-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Matching up and tourney play are two totally different ballgames. When you match up, you agree on a spot with your opponent, length of race, and so on. When you play in a handicapped tourney, this is determined for you. It could be a mismatch either way. And if you're giving some bum the 5,7,8, and the breaks, odds are they'll find a way to get lucky enough to win. Handicapped tourneys almost always seem to be won by the player with the hot hand, or the guy getting the rolls. Keep playing, and eventually that guy is going to be you.

02-25-2003, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your post mike, but I'm talking about open non-handicapped tourney's. Race to 7 ( 8 or 9-Ball ). Also most of my gaming matchs are straight sets - no spot either way.
Again I lose a larger percent of tounament matches than I do the gaming sets.

Popcorn
02-25-2003, 10:13 AM
If you want to win tournaments, you can't be anything less then 100% right out of the box, every match, first game, first inning, first shot. Even that 10 o'clock in the morning match, you have to be able to turn it on 100%. You don't have to play great matches, you just can't play bad ones. Any player that can play their speed, assuming they can play, even if they are not world beaters, will win tournaments. It is just that simple. You can't be something you are not, but you have to at least be what you are, and be able to do it on demand. In a gambling match you don't even care that much. If you lose, but feel you are the better player, you have the luxury of playing as long as you feel like, raising the bet and so on till you win. A tournament is sudden death, you can't play any bad matches. How many guys have you seen play real good, then day two, go two and out and finish in eighth place. You have to be able to do it every time, one good match doesn't win tournaments.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-25-2003, 10:34 AM
MMT answers own question....
[ QUOTE ]
I just seem to get upset far to often in the tourneys<hr /></blockquote>

Why are you getting "upset"? is it because you are too emotional? is is because you are getting the 'bad rolls'?

Calm down, 'one ball at a time', focus, keep your concentrtion, think only 'pre-shot' routine, do all your thinking standing up, never get down until you are sure that's what you want to commit to..

02-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the comments - Popcorn is there a certain pre tournament routine you use to get in a good fraim of mind for tournament matches.

Tom, when I say I'm getting upset, I mean I am getting beat by player with less abillity - some of which I would beat 100% of the time if I gambled with them.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-25-2003, 12:59 PM
MMT,
Sorry for the confusion, being 'UPSET" by a lessor skilled player in a 9 ball tournament is not uncommon.

One of the things I had to learn about 9 ball, is, to ACCEPT the fact that unless my opponent does not get to the table, there is always a chance of a loss.

Jim Rempe had two (yes 2) ball in hand shots, on the hill game this last weekend and STILL lost. But, there was $6,000 difference between 1st and 2nd (or close to it)

Once your opponent is at the table, your chances of wining decrease. Match Score does not matter, I've seen players ahead 6-1 in a race to 7 lose in less than 10 minutes. On the snap, quick one-9 combos, you jawing a 9 ball or 8 ball, or you scrathing on the 8. all types of ways a lessor skilled player can jump ahead quickly or get back into a match.