PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Shop Cues....

Yuppie
02-25-2003, 10:34 AM
What do y'alls think about them? What should I look for?

The only reason I'm even considering a pawn shop cue is because a friend of mine has been using my cue when we play. And we play a lot. So basically, we do the switch off thing and it frustrates me to no end that he does this. He's really inconsiderate about the cue too, which adds to my frustration. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So I want to get him a good used cue at a decent price which he can pay me back for later. Any suggestions?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-25-2003, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> What do y'alls think about them? What should I look for?

<font color="blue">Without some rudimentary knowledge of cues you probably shouldn't be shopping there. You can get a decent cheap cue on the net or at your local billiard supply.. </font color>

The only reason I'm even considering a pawn shop cue is because a friend of mine has been using my cue when we play. And we play a lot. So basically, we do the switch off thing and it frustrates me to no end that he does this. He's really inconsiderate about the cue too, which adds to my frustration. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

<font color="blue">If he is inconsiderate don't let him use it. Just tell him in a diplomatic but firm fashion. </font color>

So I want to get him a good used cue at a decent price which he can pay me back for later.

<font color="blue">He won't pay you back, so if you do this consider it a gift. </font color>

Any suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
02-25-2003, 10:53 AM
I agree with Wally, besides pawn shops piss me off in how they highball you on prices and make you dance a jig with then on a reduction. I personally won't go into a shop much anymore after seeing things like 19" color tvs within 20 bucks of WalMart's prices. IMO, a pawn shop ought to starts somewhat low, otherwise they ain't much on integrity in my book. I feel you could really get screwed on a cue from a pawn shop if you do not have an idea what you are buying...sid

bluewolf
02-25-2003, 11:05 AM
What is wrong with just telling your friend that switching back and forth is too much trouble and letting him use a house cue?

Why not let him buy his own cue? Are you his keeper?

Sorry. I guess that really is none of my business. I agree with buying on ebay or getting one at a pool store. Get suggestions here on a cheap cue. Or if the one you have is crappy, get a better one for yourself and if you want to do something for your friend, let him use the crappy one.

Laura

WaltVA
02-25-2003, 11:18 AM
I'd agree with Wally 100% - if you just tell your friend firmly," no more switching, use a house stick," it may encourage him to get one of his own. Did you get yours from a local billiard supplier? If so, take him down to look around at what's available. If not, there are good starter cues available on the net.

Pawn shops usually have cheap schlock cues for sale at inflated prices, or beat-up older "name" cues at market prices. Finding an underpriced "diamond" is almost impossible, as every shop owner goes to the net to find out what he's got and prices it accordingly. JMO,

Walt in VA

bluewolf
02-25-2003, 11:26 AM
If you go to ebay and look at the cues, while some are individuals bidding, some of them are dealers buying and reselling for a profit. That is capitalism but if a person wants a good deal, it is better to buy it yourself.

Laura

cheesemouse
02-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Yuppie,
This will cure your friend in short order and he will not like your cue...everytime you hand your buddy the stick wipe the tip clean of chalk; surrpepitiously of course......cured one of my friends this way, in fact he bought me a new cue....LOL LOL

woody_968
02-25-2003, 11:40 AM
I wouldnt buy at a pawn shop at all, they price their cues for the same amount I was selling new cues for.
Check with people in your local pool room, you can usually find someone wanting to get rid of a decent cue at much more reasonable prices.
As for buying it for your friend so he can pay you back I wouldnt do that either. If the issue is swapping cues and you dont want to tell him to use a house cue, then buy yourself a cheap break cue and let him use it while you play. That way he wont use your good cue and there is no chance for hard feelings when he doesnt pay you back for the cue you bought him.

Yuppie
02-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanx to all who replied. I guess I'm really bad with confrontation, espcially with this buddy of mine, which is a different problem altogether. He's the type who would turn any criticism/suggestion around on you. Kind of manipulative if you ask me.

But my suggestion to him was that I buy him a new cue and he pay for pool everytime we play until it's paid off. Won't take very long with as much as we play.

WaltVA
02-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Hey, BW - we can't all luck into a Blackheart on E-bay! Hope you're enjoying it - but I'm not a big fan of shopping for cues on E-bay unless you're really familiar with value and quality.

A lot of the stuff I see on E-bay is the same overpriced schlock the pawn shops offer. I was thinking more of looking at one of the online suppliers like Hawleys, Seyberts, Muellers or billiardsexpress. JMO,

Walt in VA

DEADSTOKE32
02-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Ok if your friend does not have a cue you should tell him to get one he can call his own.Because handin off back and to one another is no fun .But just be nice about it.Because u r frineds.But pawn shop cue r not to bad, it's all in just what u look for .I found a Paul Marty in a pawn shop and Sold it for $600 ,not a bad deal for a cue i paid 20 bucks for.So u never know ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Good Luck..

cycopath
02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Let's not generalize pawnshops. Some are bad, I'll admit that. But I will say that I think our business is one of the nicest pawnshops I've ever been in. My father started the business 31 years ago and he has a very good reputation.

PS. I sell my 19" tvs w/rc for 50-60 bucks.

Icon of Sin
02-25-2003, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or if the one you have is crappy, get a better one for yourself and if you want to do something for your friend, let him use the crappy one.

<hr /></blockquote>

I like that Idea, but all depends on what you have now. BTW, good to see you made it over here Jeff, and welcome /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Carry around some 220 and 320 sandpaper. Take a house cue and sand it for a couple of minutes. Volia'! Your freind has a beautiful cue with a smooth shaft with very few dings to use for the session. Works like a charm, and as long as you get the shaft smooth, the house cue has a good chance of being superior to the one you own and carried in.

02-25-2003, 10:10 PM
picked up a Mcdermott Cue at a Pawn shop, it was obviously used, but plays good, payed 60 clams for it and i ve seen it listed for around 200 clams.

Honky /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-26-2003, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> Thanx to all who replied. I guess I'm really bad with confrontation, espcially with this buddy of mine, which is a different problem altogether. He's the type who would turn any criticism/suggestion around on you. Kind of manipulative if you ask me.

But my suggestion to him was that I buy him a new cue and he pay for pool everytime we play until it's paid off. Won't take very long with as much as we play. <hr /></blockquote>

i think i understand where you're coming from on this thing and you're probably headed in the right direction.

friends is funny.

all of mine are about 3/4 crazy and have all kind of bad habits and such but i'm perfect so it evens out.

unless you're really well educated about cues, you're not likely to get a decent deal at a pawn shop. it happens, but it's rare. pawn shops that do those deals go out of business.

these days, there are a lot of very cheap cues out there that are well made. i know a couple of guys who will take a good house cue(maybe ten $ or so), cut it, turn down the shaft to a nice taper, stick in a pin and have it to you in a day or two for 50$. not a bad cue.

dan...ok, one of the guys steals the house cues.

ras314
02-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Don't like the sandpaper a house cue idea. Some idiot grabbed up my Predator SPW and sanded it, still haven't got it smooth again. Need a lock on the thing.

02-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Consider buying your buddy a Dufferin Sneaky Pete. About $60, and IMO about the best sub-$100 cue you'll ever play with. Beats the crap outta those rough shaft $25 K-Mart cues, that's for sure.

I had one years ago and loaned it out to a fellow GI going on Christmas leave who went home and got killed in a car wreck. I didn't have the heart to file a claim against his family for a lousy cue. I'm thinking of buying another just to have as a cheap backup and break cue.

David