PDA

View Full Version : Ebert & Roeper review "Poolhall Junkies"

Wally_in_Cincy
02-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I haven't watched this show since the skinny guy died but looky here:

Ebert & Roeper
30 min.
Cradle 2 the Grave (Jet Li, DMX); <font color="red">Poolhall Junkies (Christopher Walken, Chazz Palminteri);</font color> Till Human Voices Wake Us (Guy Pearce, Helena Bonham Carter). Hosted by Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper.

Popcorn
02-25-2003, 11:24 AM
It says at the website they will be reviewing it on March 1st. You can listen to their reviews on the website.

cycopath
02-25-2003, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't get too excited, they'll probably slam it. Unless a movie has lots of emotional dialogue or maybe a mentally challenged person, all the critics rip them apart.

Jimmy Mendoza
02-25-2003, 01:30 PM
I like your little picture there. I saw that on azbilliards.com and about spit my morning coffee out laughing.

Icon of Sin
02-25-2003, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't get too excited, they'll probably slam it. Unless a movie has lots of emotional dialogue or maybe a mentally challenged person, all the critics rip them apart.

<hr /></blockquote>

Im gonna have to agree with you on that. There reviews never sway my opinion into seeing it. They will prolly just talk about how awful it is although real pool players rate it better then Color of Money and Newman won an Oscar for that.

Besides, who cares if they like the movie, as long as you do. What makes them the deciding factor? If you like it, than thats all that matters /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Sorry for the rant, I'm a movie buff and I hate critics)

TomBrooklyn
02-25-2003, 02:08 PM
I like their assessments most of the time for clarity and cognizance. Usually, the reasons they give for panning a flick are lucid enough for me to tell if I will disagree with them. The best place I know of to get reviews is http://www.mrqe.com/ or Movie Review Query Engine. (No pun intended vis-a-vis Ebert). MRQE links to multiple reviews of over 29,000 movies.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-25-2003, 02:10 PM
If the critics say a movie is good then I know I won't like it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even if they pan PHJ, any publicity is good publicity.

cycopath
02-25-2003, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr>Besides, who cares if they like the movie, as long as you do. What makes them the deciding factor? If you like it, than thats all that matters /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>Amen

TomBrooklyn
02-25-2003, 03:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr>I hate critics<hr /></blockquote>If I read a movie review in which the reviewer said he hated a movie without providing any reasons and supporting them, hopefully in an entertaining and informative way, I wouldn't consider him much of a critic, just a basher.

Can you provide some lucid reasons why you hate critics and support your argument with examples in such a way that attmepts to convince others to agree with your premise? In other words, can you critique them? But if you do, will that make you into the thing you hate?

Icon of Sin
02-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Here is an example of why I dont like critics.

Im not much for comedies, but i thought waterboy was rather humorous and defintely not a waste of money to see it in the theatre, most of the people I know that saw that movie said they liked it. Critics bashed and and said it wasnt funny or anything.

Shakespear in Love is Loved by Critics, most people I know tha saw that said it sucked, just wasnt good and was very boring movie. I never saw that so I have no opinion.

One of My favorite Movies is Dark City. Roger Ebert loved this Flim Noir Like movie. I love this move, Everyone I know that heard of this movie and saw it loved this movie. Did it make it big in the box office. No not at all. Did it make it big anywhere. No, Not at all.

Equilibrium was released in the theatre not to long ago. Most of you prolly never have heard of this flim. Movie was fantastic, everyone I know that saw it said it was fantastic. There was hardly no marketing for the movie at all. All the Big Name critics totally bashed the movie, but every non-critic typical movie goer joe public thought the movie was fantastic.

All This inconsistancy just goes to show that , you like what you like and they like what they like, who cares if a critic likes a movie, that doesnt mean you will. If a critic hates it doesnt mean you shouldnt see it, it all depends on what you like. I have a good philosphy, if the trailers and commercials appeal to me, then I go see it. I look at critics opinions but they dont sway my decision making.

And why is this in this forum? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HOWARD
02-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Wally,

Check out http://entertainment.msn.com/movies.movies.aspx?m=523842
(Sorry I do not know how to make it blue so you can just click on it.)

Howard

TomBrooklyn
02-25-2003, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> i thought waterboy was rather humorous and most of the people I know said they liked it. Critics bashed it<hr /></blockquote> Waterboy is a comedy classic. One of the best comedies ever made. I think most critics acknowledged it as good to very good, and called it Sandler's best work, better than Happy Gilmore which the critics rated pretty good (and I rate solid good), and much better than anything else he's done (which I also agree with). I'm just going from memory though.

Shakespeare In Love sounds like some kind of sappy abomination of the Masters work and too boring to even think about.

02-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Several years ago, the wife and I were roped into seeing Fargo. All the critics raved over it, it was gonna be Movie of the Year, nominated for umpteen Academy Awards, yada, yada.

It has to be one of the worst movies we've ever seen. To this day, when we see a bad movie, we joke that "at least it wasn't as bad as Fargo..."

David

Scott Lee
02-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Well Dave, now there ya go! See?...My girlfriend and I thought Fargo was not only excellent, but a classic... don'tcha know! LOL It just goes to show ya...Wherever ya go, there ya are! Uff da! Fargo was great!...Oh, you betcha! ROFL <font color="blue"> </font color>

Poolhall Junkies is bound to be great, for us poolplayers and nonpoolplayers alike!

Scott Lee

cycopath
02-26-2003, 11:32 AM
I thought it was great too, yaa.

SpiderMan
02-26-2003, 12:05 PM
What was "Fargo" about? Was it as bad as "Ishtar"?

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-26-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Movie Review Query Engine. (No pun intended vis-a-vis Ebert). <hr /></blockquote>

Ebert's a query?

SpiderMan

cycopath
02-26-2003, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> What was "Fargo" about? Was it as bad as "Ishtar"?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>Never saw Ishtar. Here's the synopsis.
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&amp;sql=A135867

02-26-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Well Dave, now there ya go! See?...My girlfriend and I thought Fargo was not only excellent, but a classic... don'tcha know! LOL It just goes to show ya...Wherever ya go, there ya are! Uff da! Fargo was great!...Oh, you betcha! ROFL<hr /></blockquote>LOL, well, there's no accounting for taste. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And to think I held you in such high regard, Scott! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David

nAz
02-26-2003, 02:46 PM
What? hey Fargo was a great movie. as a matter of fact i'll think ill watch again this weekend.

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr>I hate critics<hr /></blockquote>If I read a movie review in which the reviewer said he hated a movie without providing any reasons and supporting them, hopefully in an entertaining and informative way, I wouldn't consider him much of a critic, just a basher.

Can you provide some lucid reasons why you hate critics and support your argument with examples in such a way that attmepts to convince others to agree with your premise? In other words, can you critique them? But if you do, will that make you into the thing you hate? <hr /></blockquote>

It depends on the critic. Some are better than others. I have seen some on tv that critiqued movies and were themselve so entertaining it did not matter if I agreed with them or not.

Plus it is useful to hear what they have to say imo. I can tell if their complaints are about important stuff or not.

Laura

Karatemom
02-26-2003, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> What was "Fargo" about? Was it as bad as "Ishtar"?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I think Fargo was better than Ishtar. At least Fargo had a plot, albeit a far out plot, and interesting characters.

Poor Dustin Hoffman. His career went downhill after that movie.

Heide

Karatemom
02-26-2003, 04:35 PM
If I hear "You betcha!" one more time, I'm gonna scream!!!! It's almost as bad as Jimmy Reid saying, "relax and get comfortable". Two sayings that I will never forget!

hahahahahahaha

Heide

Karatemom
02-26-2003, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Movie Review Query Engine. (No pun intended vis-a-vis Ebert). <hr /></blockquote>

Ebert's a query?

Didn't you know? That's why Siskel just couldn't take it anymore, poor guy!

Heide ~ always thought there was something odd about Ebert

SpiderMan
02-27-2003, 12:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Movie Review Query Engine. (No pun intended vis-a-vis Ebert). <hr /></blockquote>

Ebert's a query?

Didn't you know? That's why Siskel just couldn't take it anymore, poor guy!

Heide ~ always thought there was something odd about Ebert <hr /></blockquote>

If Siskel was "taking it", I guess he was a query also, or at least experimenting /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2003, 02:30 AM
I don't really know. He looks a little light on his feet, but I could be wrong.

=Tom
~Just back from seeing Pool Hall Junkies.
Saw the BD ticket givaway preview at a theater at the Crossroads Of The World.
I thought it was pretty good.
Then everyone went to Broadway Billiards to practice PHJ shots, which are mostly banks shot at lightning speed, even if it would be easier to just cut them into the nearest pocket. LoL.

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2003, 02:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>"relax and get comfortable". <hr /></blockquote>"Stroke fast and loose."

SteveFromNY
02-27-2003, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I don't really know. He looks a little light on his feet, but I could be wrong.

=Tom
~Just back from seeing Pool Hall Junkies.
Saw the BD ticket givaway preview at a theater at the Crossroads Of The World.
I thought it was pretty good.
Then everyone went to Broadway Billiards to practice PHJ shots, which are mostly banks shot at lightning speed, even if it would be easier to just cut them into the nearest pocket. LoL. <hr /></blockquote>the nicest shot had to be the 8-ball shot in the side pocket with one hand.