PDA

View Full Version : Ice Storm, Country Drives & The Pool Table

Sid_Vicious
02-25-2003, 02:19 PM
I wonder what the common folk are doing today who happened to be like me, iced in at home. The roadway around the city I live closest to became a sheet of ice around 2PM yesterday, so I get the heck out of Dallas and drive the 30 minutes home, now taking me about an hour. I've now been forced to do little more than play pool on the home table, tinker with my cues and visit this board on the internet. "It's a tough life but what's a person to do in this situation?" ;-) sid

Kato
02-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Well Sid, I feel for ya but sometimes you just gotta suck it up man. If you really wanted to suck it up you might think about tipping back a couple of brews but since it's tough enough on you now you may not want to do that.

Kato~~~never gets to stay home because of ice storms or blizzards.

rackmup
02-25-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm stuck at home as well. Pool leagues were cancelled last night and I am assuming tonights "Sign-up" party for the Tuesday night league will be as well. Just as well...I was on the road today for a quick trip to the market and people were driving like idiots.

Just popped a brisket into the slow cooker along with some potatoes and onions and I'm guessing that at about 8PM, while others are risking a drive to the pool room for cold pizza, I'll be tipping back a "Butterfinger" hot chocolate and dining on some comfort food.

You hear that OPC? Make sure you sign me up for next season!

Eg8r...you still alive?

VooDoo...how's the "new" life with the little lady?

Regards,

Ken (marveling at the ice rink that used to be Broad Street and going back into hibernation)

eg8r
02-25-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey Ken,

I am still here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just riling up the board while you have been away.

eg8r

SPetty
02-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Howdy Sid,

Glad to hear you made it home O.K. It's those last 7 miles for me that are the hardest - on that little ol' country road. I was working from home yesterday morning and at 10:30, the weather lady said "You'll see some sleet, but it won't stick and won't create any problems." So I went ahead and went to work.

People at work were worrying about it, but I had full faith in this weather lady and told everyone about what she had said.

I left the office around 6 p.m. - it took me three hours to make it the 65 miles home. Never even got out of third gear. I was quite fortunate - going my direction the traffic kept moving. Going the other way, there were several places where traffic had just completely stopped. There were people calling the radio stations who had been in traffic pushing 4 hours, and had gone something like 40 miles. My windshield was caked with ice and no defroster could keep up with.

We lost our lightweight pipe & plastic tarp "carport" in a loud crash under the weight of the ice at about 12:45 this morning. Good thing I was forward-thinking enough not to park under it when I got home!

But, since I brought my work computer home with me, I spent the day working while all you slackers took a day off!

Again, glad to hear you've made it through O.K. Let's just hope the power stays on!

Jon from MN
02-25-2003, 04:51 PM
I live in the boon docks in north western Minnesota. I drive 50+ miles one way to play league. Last night it was -24 with out the wind chill at 11:30pm We only missed 2 weeks in 2 years some times driving 150 miles 1 way in a blizzard {working out of town} We minnesotans have to battle the elements and the great players. ~~Jon from mn ~~

Ward
02-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Sid

We are closed today and tomorrow. I have been playing on my home table and messing with my computer... The roads will be worse tomorrow.....

HalSmith
02-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi Sid, I live in Texas City, Tx so I'm not in the kind of shape your in,but it's still nasty outside. I come up to Coppell about 3 times a year, wife's mother lives there. I always take my sticks and am always looking for a decent play to play. I have been going over to Lewisville to a place called something 8 ball, I think. But would love to find a place with nice 9 footers with Simonis to play some one hole. Would sure like some suggestions. Thanks, Smitty

eg8r
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
LOL, I was a slacker also and it looks like I might have to slack some more tomorrow.

Man is Tx sad. Those people up north all still go to work, but this state just shuts down. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Rod
02-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Yep the ice is bad up here Sid. I had to change the filter for my water! lol Well sorry you texans are closed for a while, might as well play on the home table. Just hope the o/b doesn't skid on you too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Closest drive from 8Ball Willies in Lewisville would be Clicks on Marsh Lane in north Dallas, not a bad drive from there and 8 nines. You can punch in a map to it's address in Yahoo and I believe find it to be fairly easy to get to,,,one pocket is on the upper deck...sid

HalSmith
02-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Sid, thanks for the info. Smitty

snipershot
02-25-2003, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty used to being snowed in, so I do alot things other than shoot pool. I watch pool videos and matches, I visit this and lot's of other pool sites, and I play pool related video games, oh and I read pool books as well /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Dear Sid, go get a life, then go buy a dog. Fast Larry

dg-in-centralpa
02-26-2003, 07:07 AM
The storm in Tx is suposed to hit Central PA tonight and tomorrow. We're to get a foot of snow. I'm tired of snow. Our average snowfall a year is 30 inches and we are way over that now. Oh well... guess I won't be going to work and I'll just stay at home and shoot. Good Luck!

Ward
02-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Hey Ed I heard I20 East is still open....LOL

02-26-2003, 08:38 AM
dallas (long suspected to be the southern edge of oklahoma) does not reflect the great state of texas.

houston is open for business, thank you.

it is currently 82deg. with 10% humidity and a gentle tropical breeze nustles the palm trees under clear blue skies. ice is abundently available only in designated refrigeration devices.

dan...so why do it hear wimpering noises coming from the garage?

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2003, 08:52 AM
There ya go Ward, giving the boy a complex if he decides not to go out and drive on it. Could you think up something for Ken now? He's got to be getting pretty full on the roast or whatever it was he was cooking yesterday, he needs the exercise...sid

Ward
02-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Sid

I20 runs east and west....LOL

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Dear Sid, go get a life, then go buy a dog. Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>

I think sid has dawgs

laura

HalSmith
02-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Dan, I don't know where you are in Houston other than your home but its 44dgs where I am in Houston

Voodoo Daddy
02-26-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>
VooDoo...how's the "new" life with the little lady? Regards,
Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Ken...she is still in Texas taking care of family, so for now I live one day at a time. Sorry about the ICE though...I dunno what thats like either!!! HAHAHAHAHA

02-26-2003, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> Dan, I don't know where you are in Houston other than your home but its 44dgs where I am in Houston <hr /></blockquote>

i prefer my interpretation of the facts, thank you.

dan

eg8r
02-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Very funny and intuitive.

I guess having a dog around has given you all the life you need, and it shows in your inability to deal with other humans in an adult manner.

eg8r

eg8r
02-26-2003, 02:44 PM
I20 looked like a giant truck stop this morning. There were so many trucks lined up and parked.

I am waiting till tomorrow before I venture out. It looks like everything thing is melting now.

eg8r

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Very funny and intuitive.

I guess having a dog around has given you all the life you need, and it shows in your inability to deal with other humans in an adult manner.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Below the belt!!!! SMACK!!!! OUCH!!!! KIcked him in the n**z!!!

Betty watch out, underdog is gwana git ya, my texas friend /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Laura