PDA

View Full Version : PHJ opening Nationwide

JMD in VA
02-25-2003, 10:17 PM
Does anyone out there have a nationwide opening date for Pool Hall Junkies? I live in Virginia and would like to kow when it's coming out near me.

JMD in VA

Don't beat him, Kick his Ass!

02-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Here's the website with the info about it. I think there is two waves of releases in different parts of the country.
http://www.poolhalljunkiesmovie.com/

Scott Lee
02-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Walt and 9ballJr...Looks like it will start March 21 in Austin and in Wash. DC (which looks to be the closest place for you, Walt). It should make it out to the boonies by the end of April.

Scott Lee

9 Ball Girl
02-26-2003, 09:18 AM
I just saw an interview with Rick Schroeder on Good Day NY this morning. They talked about PoolHall Junkies, of course, and he said that about 75% of the movie is shot in a poolroom (which I don't know). Anyway, he feels that he can shoot some because growing up in Bay Ridge (Brooklyn), his Dad had bought a pooltable when he was about 10 and he's always shot pool. They showed a clip of him in the movie shooting some shots, I noticed he used an open hand bridge and the first thing I zoomed in on was to see if his thumb was up high enough to support the cue (I myself am an open bridged shooter).

Wendy~~wondering if he's really got game...(I'm gonna find out tonight!)

Steve Lipsky
02-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi Wendy. I was a little late to work today because I waited to watch that interview (you didn't hear that, Pizza Bob)!

I must admit to a fair degree of disappointment from what I saw. The 30 second clip showed me:

1) Ricky Schroeder might be able to play a little bit for a celebrity, but he's not convincing as a serious player. At least The Hustler and TCOM had the insight to have an instructor present. Schroeder's bridge/stroke looked very uncomfortable. Some may think I'm being nitpicky here, but I think this is a completely valid point considering the subject matter. (And Wendy, you can't compare your fundamentals to his - you look comfortable; he looks like he's going to fall down.)

2) Mars Callahan looks just as uncomfortable with a cue.

3) The dialog seems to have been written by an outsider. We hear things being screamed like "Double the bet, punk!" As I am re-reading my post, in text it seems fine. But believe me, when you see the clip/movie, it's going to sound and look strange. I guess it's the way it's acted. I wonder if Schroeder did any research to see how matches are truly discussed in a poolroom?

I'm hoping that Chazz Palminteri, Christopher Walken, and Rod Steiger come with great performances. The strength of these three actors might be enough to offset the awkwardness I perceived this morning.

I hope so.

- Steve

cycopath
02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>At least The Hustler and TCOM had the insight to have an instructor present.<hr /></blockquote>I thought I had read somewhere that Mike Massey was a technical consultant on this film, and even had a small acting part in it.

Scott Lee
02-26-2003, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>At least The Hustler and TCOM had the insight to have an instructor present.<hr /></blockquote>I thought I had read somewhere that Mike Massey was a technical consultant on this film, and even had a small acting part in it. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually neither Mosconi (tech advisor for The Hustler), nor Sigel (tech advisor for TCOM) were/are instructors. They are/were both world-class players, which is definitely not the same thing. Mike was the tech advisor for PHJ, and did have a bit part in the movie. Even though Mike has done some instruction (Poolschool in Paradise), he is still more of a trickshot artist (and the best in the world at it). Respectfully, I would say that either he didn't have much of a hand in teaching the guys in PHJ, or he really didn't focus on the small details (bridge, stance, stroke) that show up as flaws to all of us players here. Like Steve said...I hope the other actors performances carry the film. I spoke with a couple of guys here in Chicago last night, about the sneak previews that were held here last Thursday night, and Monday night...and the overall consensus was that PHJ was "just okay"! These were comments from seasoned players, not 'average Joes'! I know I will LOVE PHJ regardless of the flaws. I totally loved both the Hustler and TCOM, and I really look forward to seeing the latest entry...Poolhall Junkies.

Scott Lee

Steve Lipsky
02-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi Scott. Thanks for supplying me with the phrase "technical advisor"; I couldn't think of it this morning when I made that post, and settled (unhappily) for "instructor" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I think it's important to note that Massey probably had a more difficult job with Callahan and Schroeder than did Mosconi and Sigel with their actors. Both of the PHJ stars seem to fancy themselves players, which probably made them a little stubborn in accepting critique. Newman and Cruise were both so horrible before production began that they would not have been humbled to accept drastic changes.

Of course, this is all just a guess /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Steve

cycopath
02-26-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>Newman and Cruise were both so horrible before production began that they would not have been humbled to accept drastic changes.<hr /></blockquote>I always heard that Newman was actually a fair player in real life. Cruise I have no idea about.

9 Ball Girl
02-26-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hi Wendy. I was a little late to work today because I waited to watch that interview (you didn't hear that, Pizza Bob)!<hr /></blockquote>

I won't tell! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>1) Ricky Schroeder might be able to play a little bit for a celebrity, but he's not convincing as a serious player. At least The Hustler and TCOM had the insight to have an instructor present. Schroeder's bridge/stroke looked very uncomfortable. Some may think I'm being nitpicky here, but I think this is a completely valid point considering the subject matter. (And Wendy, you can't compare your fundamentals to his - you look comfortable; he looks like he's going to fall down.)

2) Mars Callahan looks just as uncomfortable with a cue.<hr /></blockquote>

I have to agree with you on that. I'm not saying that everyone should get down on their shots but Rick and especially Mars looked like ball banger material to me.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>3) The dialog seems to have been written by an outsider. We hear things being screamed like "Double the bet, punk!" <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! I laughed when I heard the dialogue this morning. I've been around a couple of seasoned money players and I've never heard them talk like that!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>I'm hoping that Chazz Palminteri, Christopher Walken, and Rod Steiger come with great performances. The strength of these three actors might be enough to offset the awkwardness I perceived this morning.
<hr /></blockquote>

Alas, 3 great actors. I hope so too.

Wendy~~has been in love with Chazz Palminteri since A Bronx Tale /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scott Lee
02-26-2003, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>Newman and Cruise were both so horrible before production began that they would not have been humbled to accept drastic changes.<hr /></blockquote>I always heard that Newman was actually a fair player in real life. Cruise I have no idea about. <hr /></blockquote>

Paul Newman today, can play a little, but cannot run a rack. Tom Cruise, if you remember the scene in TCOM where Cruise turns his head away from the shot, and shoots blind...that scene took 3 days to shoot!

Scott Lee