PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room?

L.S. Dennis
02-26-2003, 01:37 PM
In addition to the forum segment does Billiards Digest have a live chat room too? If not why?

heater451
02-26-2003, 02:16 PM
This question pops up every so often. . . .

BD probably doesn't have (or want) the extra cash/time/people to support a chat. This stuff may seem free, but I assure you that it's not. . . . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is also an issue with security--which JayM can tell you about in detail. He had recently (re-)opened a chatroom on his last site, but someone hacked it, and he decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Another option, which some of us bring up, but few of us ever use is to install one of the existing chat clients. This may be due to some not wanting to deal with it, or possibly from simple ignorance of the requirements. In any case, the basic choices are: Microsoft Messenger, AIM or ICQ, and Yahoo!. mIRC is popular as well, but the "average" user doesn't know about it. These are all searchable downloads, and usually require registration, in order to use the service--that is, you can get a free Hotmail account to use MS-Messenger, or a free Yahoo! account for the Y! Messenger, or a (again) free "screen name" for AIM (you don't need a full-blown AOL account, but you can use it). Lastly, you can get multiple accounts and run Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc) which is what I do.

==================

Alfie
02-27-2003, 12:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> Another option, which some of us bring up, but few of us ever use is to install one of the existing chat clients. This may be due to some not wanting to deal with it, or possibly from simple ignorance of the requirements. In any case, the basic choices are: Microsoft Messenger, AIM or ICQ, and Yahoo!. mIRC is popular as well, but the "average" user doesn't know about it. These are all searchable downloads, and usually require registration, in order to use the service--that is, you can get a free Hotmail account to use MS-Messenger, or a free Yahoo! account for the Y! Messenger, or a (again) free "screen name" for AIM (you don't need a full-blown AOL account, but you can use it). Lastly, you can get multiple accounts and run Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc) which is <hr /></blockquote>Why don't people who want a pool related chat room simply use the chat room at http://www.playpool.com/ ? Looks like an easy solution. You get to chat; Ed gets the traffic. It's just a click away. Anything wrong with this idea?

heater451
02-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Brand loyalty, I suppose. . . .

==================

Alfie
02-27-2003, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> Brand loyalty, I suppose. . . . <hr /></blockquote>any *legitimate* reasons? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

heater451
02-27-2003, 05:37 PM
They probably don't want to bother, but I can really only answer with my opinion.

I used to keep Trillian up all the time, but now I hardly turn it on--but I would, if anyone wanted me to.

As it is, I've 'chatted' w/ Kato and Stickman, via the chat client, and JayM and Cuemage when his chat was up (briefly). I've even tried to chat w/ Tom_in_Cincy, but he has never responded--Of course, that's his perogative.

Oh, and I've also chatted w/ the kid that had poolindex.com up--I don't remember his nick here.

BTW, I just checked the Playpool chat. It's suffering from, "nobody's there/nobody stays/so nobody's there". Now that I think of it, that's kind of a reason that noone *uses* it. . . .

One more reason/opinion: Many people 'here' are not here all the time, and chatrooms usually need a few people with nothing to do but sit around in the chat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

====================

Alfie
02-28-2003, 02:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> One more reason/opinion: Many people 'here' are not here all the time, and chatrooms usually need a few people with nothing to do but sit around in the chat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Heater451ski, I've never done the chat room thing but was just trying to help out the chat seeking entity. Still think it is a good idea. "Want to chat? Meet me at playpool.com Chat."

- me chat no