PDA

View Full Version : From today on ........

Karatemom
02-26-2003, 03:43 PM
The other thread is getting a little long, so I'll start anew.

Today was another good news day. His temp is still low grade, 99.7, but the good part is that it is taking less and less Tylenol to keep his fever down, which means that it is staying down longer. Another really good thing happened, but it is a little gross so I won't get into it, but it is good.

His breathing was choppier today than usual. I noticed that he was more restless as well. When I talked to the nurse, she said that when he is knocked out pretty good, his breathing settles down. It's when he is slightly conscious that he starts getting anxious and his breathing goes to hell. He's got to learn to relax.

Nothing new besides that.

Heide ~ what are the tubes for, Jon?

9 Ball Girl
02-26-2003, 03:50 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

WaltVA
02-26-2003, 04:07 PM
ALLRIGHT!!

Walt in VA

Tom_In_Cincy
02-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Sounds like Chris is begining to get his strength back and start whoooping up on that big ole nasty..

Love the good news.. it made my day..

Troy
02-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Keep the good news comin' Heide !!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And you couldn't gross me out with news about Chris.

Troy

Karatemom
02-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Wanna bet? hahahahahahaha

Heide

nAz
02-26-2003, 04:51 PM
excellent!

"Another really good thing happened, but it is a little gross so I won't get into it, but it is good."

hmm tell CC i wanna know what it is /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif i like to be grossed out, keeps me sharp

Barbara
02-26-2003, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another really
good thing happened, but it is a little gross so I won't get into it, but it is good. <hr /></blockquote>

CC made poopies, didn't he???!!! Gooooooo CC!!

Barbara

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 05:09 PM
I think that I would be agitated too if I woke up enuff to know those dang tubes were in me and scratchin my throat and stuff.

Laura

Jon from MN
02-26-2003, 05:19 PM
Heide keep the good news comming. The tubes are to make him ohhhhh wrong tubes lol. those are the famous coin tubes you can put quarters or the new dollar coins in them. Some people Ive heard use them for other things I cant talk about lol

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 05:26 PM
YUP. Do gotta have them but not much longer.. Serious, Chris is gonna be right as rain,, REAL SOON!!!

Laura

Karatemom
02-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Ohhhh, okay. I have an idea that Chris will be putting tips from Sumo in one, Triangle in another, Talisman in another, etc. You see where I'm going with this, right? hahahaha.

Heide

SPetty
02-26-2003, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Another really good thing happened, but it is a little gross so I won't get into it, but it is good. <hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the update, Heide. Looks like things are looking a lot better now.

If it wasn't poopies like Barbara said, I figured it was some kind of bloody booger of yucky coming out of the tubes...

socrates
02-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Great to hear the encouraging news.

Tell Chris I said hello and take care.

eg8r
02-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Heidi, Thank you for the posts. I look everyday to see how Chris is doing. Cmon Chris... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Rich R.
02-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Chris is still stepping in the right direction.
I like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
02-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Great new Heide! It's nice to hear Chris is continuing to improve. Have the doctors set a timeframe on how long he will be in the hospital?

Karatemom
02-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, yes they have. About another month is the latest guesstimate. He's having a trach put in tomorrow morning because his breathing is very short again. He'll be on the vent for quite a while. So not to damage the vocal cords, they take it out and put a trach in. Other than that, he is doing very well. Temp is stable now for 1 1/2 days, around 99 degrees. Antibiotics and white blood cells finally seem to be doing their job gnawing away at that infection.

It's getting awfully lonely around here without him, but we'll wait as long as we have to, just so long as he comes home. Our son found out tonite just how much he really misses his dad. Not a good day for him at all.

Heide

Jon from MN
02-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Hang in there Heide. A month isnt that long. Cris will be home soon thats the main thing. Jon

Karatemom
02-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Already feels like it's been forever. I'm just tired. Wish he was here.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Heide

Ralph S.
02-28-2003, 02:47 AM
Dont worry Heide, he'll be home soon enough. It sounds like he is doing much better and that is great news to hear. I wish you all well. And I am still saying my prayers for his speedy recovery.
Ralph S.

Rod
02-28-2003, 04:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the delay Heide. The important thing is he is doing well. You can do a month fairly easy, poor Chris, he doesn't have a choice. Well I guess he did drag you into this mess. Hey he's got a lot of nerve doing something like that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Take care and thanks for the update.

Rod

bluewolf
02-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the update, Heide. I think that this next period of time will go a little quicker for you because you know that Chris is getting better and more what to expect. It is a tough road . You have proven yourself to be a very strong person through all this. I am so touched with your love for Chris, I think that both he and Christ are mightly lucky to have you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Laura

Rich R.
02-28-2003, 07:31 AM
It seems like they are making some real progress in dealing with the infection. Once that clears up, I'm sure everything else will get better too.
Hang in there.

Kato
02-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Every day when we talk or IM I feel the positivity in your voice or in your words. I can't pretend to know how difficult this is for you I can only tell you I'm available.

I pray 1 time every day, that 1 time is for Chris, Christ, and of course you and every day I talk to my Chris Cass keychain and ask him to play hard be be tough. Chris is coming home soon Heide and you'll get your life back. Please stay strong.

R.J.~~~I'll call tonight

WesK
02-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Me too.

snipershot
02-28-2003, 09:48 PM
As long as he comes home Heide, that's what is most important. Tell Christ to hang in there, he probably looks up to you alot and if you stay positive hopefully he will as well. I can't imagine what it is like, but stay strong.

Snipershot

Karatemom
02-28-2003, 11:17 PM
I realize I have neglected to post Chris' updates, but the last couple of days, everything has just caught up with me. My emotions went haywire, along with Christ's. I just lost it. It took me a couple of days and some good heart-to-hearts, but I'm better now and Christ, too, I believe is on the mend.

Chris is still resting comfortably. His fever is going back up again, anywhere between 98.6 and 102. That infection is still letting us know it's there. They are supposed to drain an abcess found in his left abdomen, but not sure when. They said the right chest tube can come out as the scan showed it was clear. The left side looks 90% better, but still has drainage. He had a tracheostomy done this morning. If you leave a person on a ventilator for too long, it will damage the vocal cords. So they do this to keep from it. It's just like that one episode of M*A*S*H* where Father Mulcahy has to perform this operation on a patient with a pocketknife. Except Chris has his vent there instead of a ball point pen casing.

He was very antsy today. So much so I really started yelling at him. Nurses got curious and had to come down and find out what was going on, LOL. When I called this evening, he was much calmer.

Sorry about the delay.

Heide

Rich R.
03-01-2003, 06:13 AM
Don't worry about any delays in giving us updates. Although we are all eager to hear, we also know that this is very stressful for you, and Christ, and you need some time. Take all the time you need and when you feel right, give us an update. There is no pressure from this end.

Troy
03-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Dont't worry about us for one second Heide. While I appreciate your updates, I also understand the load on your shoulders. Take care girl.

Troy

Kato
03-01-2003, 08:57 AM
He's getting cranky, I like that. It's good to know there is still figh in the dog. Hopefully sooner than later he'll be barkin' in his back yard again.

Kato

Jon from MN
03-01-2003, 09:18 AM
We apoligize for our greed. We all want updates but some of us forget what your going through. You are strong heide stronger than most. Sorry for all that you and christ are going through. I hope and pray for all of you every day! Oh and though were greedy we still apreciate YOU!!!!! ~~Jon~~

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 03:26 PM
No change. They've got him so doped up on morphine that he sleeps most of the time. It's the only way to keep him from getting all riled up and anxious. Think I may need some of that stuff, LOL.

I left him a note this afternoon and told him that if he doesn't get better soon and home, there were some people who were going to come and kick his ***. I even tried telling him that his breathing is all part of his pre-shot routine. If anything'll help, that will, LOL.

Thanks to everyone for their support and thoughts.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Heide,
I hope you are getting enough food and rest. It's going to be important for you to be very healthy for Chris and Christ in the next few months.
You impress me as being one of those "one in a million" people that I would be proud to call a friend.
Please keep up the posts.. I think of you and your family everyday..

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 09:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Heide,
I hope you are getting enough food and rest. It's going to be important for you to be very healthy for Chris and Christ in the next few months.
You impress me as being one of those "one in a million" people that I would be proud to call a friend.
Please keep up the posts.. I think of you and your family everyday..
<hr /></blockquote>

Food and rest, well probably not enough of either. It's really hard to go about your life as if there's nothing wrong, when it is turned upside down. I swear sometimes I just don't know about anything. I sure as hell wouldn't be able to get through any of this without all of you. Without a hubby around to talk to, it's nice to have all of you in lieu of.

Heide ~ not having a good night, again

Rich R.
03-02-2003, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>Food and rest, well probably not enough of either. It's really hard to go about your life as if there's nothing wrong, when it is turned upside down. I swear sometimes I just don't know about anything. I sure as hell wouldn't be able to get through any of this without all of you. Without a hubby around to talk to, it's nice to have all of you in lieu of.

Heide ~ not having a good night, again <hr /></blockquote>
As Tom said, the food and rest is extremely important. You should consider those a priority for both you and Christ. You both have to keep your strength up. Chris will need you both, more than ever, when he comes home.

Now, about your other post, asking a bunch of pool players about CLEANING. You have got to be kidding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Karatemom
03-02-2003, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> As Tom said, the food and rest is extremely important. You should consider those a priority for both you and Christ. You both have to keep your strength up. Chris will need you both, more than ever, when he comes home.

Now, about your other post, asking a bunch of pool players about CLEANING. You have got to be kidding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I knew it was a longshot, but it was better than nothing. I'm bored stiff and looking for about any excuse humanly possible to sit and talk with someone. It's hell not having your spouse around to nag all the time, LOL.

Heide

Sid_Vicious
03-02-2003, 09:39 AM
"I'm bored stiff and looking for about any excuse humanly possible to sit and talk with someone."

Heidi...Well you have come to the right place. Opinions of some are whacky I admit(Ken doesn't visit much anymore though..humor Ken, humor) but plentiful. What was the cleaning question. I dodge enough cleaning I ought to at least know something about "what" I'm avoiding ;-) sid

Leviathan
03-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi, Heide. We're thinking of you. Hope you and your guys are having a better day today.

We've been having typical Spring weather down here, clear and warm one day then cool and rainy the next. Beautiful warm, clear day yesterday. There are lots of songbirds around now, many of them passing through on their way north, and the first of the Spring flowers are blooming. My dad's cat had a great day yesterday--he'd find a patch of driveway that had been warmed by the sun, flop down and do a few barrel rolls, then doze off. The perfect day off!

Congratulations on laying off smoking. You're certainly strong enough to quit if you commit yourself to the job. You'll feel a lot better and you'll save money you can spend on pool, jelly donuts, and hot-cocoa drinks!

Your ceiling washing reminds me of the fun I had washing the ceilings ("overheads") on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico. I think I invented a new form of motion sickness, looking straight up at the ceilings while the boat pitched, rolled, and yawed. The fun part was listening to the cook shout curses while her pots, pans, canned goods, and everything else that wasn't nailed down flew around her galley. That lady knew some words!

You take care, now. My best to the fellas.

Duke

Karatemom
03-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks, Duke. I needed that story. Wish I had better news, but unfortunately, I don't.

Was told today that his stomach is leaking again. The nurses said that the tissues of the stomach after having cancer are like tissue paper. I just don't know what is going to happen next. They will sit a wait a couple of days before they decide anything. He's not in any immediate danger because the chest tubes are draining everything. On top of all of that, he is very lonely as well. I'm the only one who visits him. My aunt did go see him today which cheered him up a bit. His family lives out in Chicago and can't get here just now.

I feel so totally helpless as I can't help him heal and I can't stay with him 24/7. Don't know how much more of this I can take. I can stay strong for him, but I think I'll have nothing left by the time he really needs me.

Thanks for the story. It made me feel normal again for a while.

Heide

Troy
03-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Heide, I wish there was some magic wand I could wave or magic potion I could send, but we know it just ain't so. Just believe there are many of us pulling for you and Chris. Hard as it may be, you're the strong one right now. It will amaze you how full your tank really is. Hang tough sweetie.

Troy

Barbara
03-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Yeah!! What Troy said!! Double ditto!!

Barbara

Rich R.
03-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Heide, I know it ain't much, but tell Chris the whole CCB is with him every day and just waiting for the day he can hit a key pad again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
03-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Or at least get back to the pool hall. Maybe start hitting balls again...

This will happen. It's going to happen.

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
03-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Well, today is a much better day, for all of us. Christ has a new friend, Mary, a gerbil. Darn rat kept me up all night chewing on toilet tissue rolls and scratching at the side of her cage, but she's cute, and good for Christ. My spirits are much better as well. Some of my in-laws will be in town later this week and will stay a few days. It seems as though the 2 other visitors that Chris has had besides me, have really picked up his spirits, and determination. His eyes just light up when he sees them. Nice for him to be able to see some of the people that care, besides me, all the time, LOL.

The dr was very pleased with the output of the chest tubes today. It has decreased a bit, which is very good. That means that the amount of fluid in his chest is lessening. Also, he's not "puffy" anymore like he was yesterday. Yesterday, it looked as if someone had blown him up like a balloon. But today he looks much better.

So what's the old saying, 2 steps backward, 1 step forward? He'll make it, eventually. Just had to pass on the good news. Now have to finish cleaning my house for company, LOL.

Heide ~ going out to buy Simple Green

Rich R.
03-03-2003, 01:06 PM
We DO like that GOOD news.
There are always minor set backs, but it sounds like Chris is making some good progress.

I hope your as happy about the in laws coming, a few days from now.
We have a sign in our game room that reads something like, "Everyone who enters this house makes us happy, some when they arrive and some when they leave." /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bluewolf
03-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Sounds great Heide. And the part about Chris eyes lighting up, that is REALLY great. Am glad he is shedding that 'vent fluid' too. That is another real positive sign imo. Keep the news coming.

Laura

WaltVA
03-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Heide - Thanks for the good news! It's a "one step at a time" thing, but he's on his way home. Take care of yourself - don't get into too much of a "Simple Green workout."

Glad Christ is enjoying his gerbil - they're neat little animals, but DO NOT GET ANOTHER ONE!! Years ago, my daughter's science teacher gave her the class pair of gerbils at the end of school. By the time school started in the fall, I was building 2 cages every weekend trying to keep up with their production! LOL

Take care,

Walt in VA

Karatemom
03-03-2003, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> Heide - Thanks for the good news! It's a "one step at a time" thing, but he's on his way home. Take care of yourself - don't get into too much of a "Simple Green workout."

Glad Christ is enjoying his gerbil - they're neat little animals, but DO NOT GET ANOTHER ONE!! Years ago, my daughter's science teacher gave her the class pair of gerbils at the end of school. By the time school started in the fall, I was building 2 cages every weekend trying to keep up with their production! LOL

Take care,

Walt in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Would you believe that our grocery store out here didn't carry Simple Green?!?! So I got some Fantastik instead, and a new mop.

There's no way we're getting more than 1 gerbil. This one is bad enough. Darn thing sleeps during the day and is busy as a beaver at night. I think she might be half gerbil, half vampire bat, LOL. Plus, she chews absolutely everything. I don't know squat about gerbils, but she's gone through 3 toilet tissues rolls in a day. They're scattered all over her cage. She's definitely fiesty enough to belong to this family /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But at least I'm not the only female in the house now, LOL.

Heide

bluewolf
03-03-2003, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>

There's no way we're getting more than 1 gerbil. This one is bad enough. Darn thing sleeps during the day and is busy as a beaver at night. I think she might be half gerbil, half vampire bat, LOL. Plus, she chews absolutely everything. I don't know squat about gerbils, but she's gone through 3 toilet tissues rolls in a day. They're scattered all over her cage. She's definitely fiesty enough to belong to this family /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. But at least I'm not the only female in the house now, LOL.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

YIKES!!! Another animal that likes to decorate the house with toilet paper. Sounds like some huskies I know. Anychance that gerbil is part snow dog??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

WaltVA
03-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Next time you go to the grocery store, pick up a few of those pressed cardboard egg crates. They'll last longer than paper rolls, and gerbils love to chew them up and make their own bedding material, burrow into it and be happy as....a gerbil in cardboard??

Walt in VA

9 Ball Girl
03-03-2003, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>YIKES!!! Another animal that likes to decorate the house with toilet paper. Sounds like some huskies I know. Anychance that gerbil is part snow dog??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ha! My Labrador used to pull the toilet paper and run around the apartment. Reminded me of the old Charmin commercials. On ocassion, I used to come home to a dog wearing bras on his head! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
03-03-2003, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> The dr was very pleased with the output of the chest tubes today.

Heide ~ going out to buy Simple Green <hr /></blockquote>Hi Heide,

Maybe if you poured some of that Simple Green into those chest tubes it would clean him out! hahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty~~~Sorry, the thought got in my head and I couldn't let it go!

Karatemom
03-03-2003, 05:24 PM
hahahahahahahaha. Hey Susan, got that warp out of your shaft yet? hahahahahahahahaha

Actually, to hell with the ceilings for now. I'm working on the paneling with wood polish instead, less work, LOL.

Heide ~ Chris won't even know the house when he comes home

Fran Crimi
03-03-2003, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>
Would you believe that our grocery store out here didn't carry Simple Green?!?! So I got some Fantastik instead, and a new mop.

Heide, did I mention not to bother looking in your grocery store for Simple Green? Oops. Forgot that part. LOL! You can find it at Home Depot and sometimes at auto supply stores.

Fantastick works too. Watch out for the fumes, though. It'll do-in the gerbil. Yikes.

Fran

Troy
03-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Oh Happy Day !!! Things are really looking up !!! Great... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
03-04-2003, 02:18 AM
Heide,
Well that's good news, it sure sounds like he is slowly making progress. Just call him the Pillsbury Doe Boy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's good to hear a couple of others have visited him. I was going to ask you if anyone from the pool room went to visit Chris. Good luck with the rat and your cleaning. Put some little scrubbing pads on mary and let her clean! lol

Rod

Karatemom
03-04-2003, 02:05 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Can you tell what kind of news I have to tell?

He had 3 tubes taken out today because he didn't need them anymore. 2 chest tubes and the ng tube from his nose. I do believe this rollercoaster ride is finally starting to smooth out. I'm sure there will still be a few bumps and curves, but this is a huge step!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to get back up to the school, but had to let everyone know. Thanks everyone!!!!!

Heide

Rod
03-04-2003, 02:35 PM
YAHOOO!!! Well that sums it up from my end. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm so happy for you guys!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif `` Rod

WaltVA
03-04-2003, 03:01 PM
THIS IS JUST SO GREAT!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Walt in VA

Karatemom
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
The hospital called me this afternoon and needed consent to drain the pocket of "suspicious" infection. They'll draw it and test it today. Sounds to me like we're finally getting close to the yellow brick road.

Heide

Barbara
03-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Well this is great news Heide!! Woohooo!!!

[Note to self - don't be drinking any liquids when reading Heide's pm's. It causes a lot of "prairie dogging" among the cubicles at work when you start choking on said liquid.]

Barbara~~~I'm okay now...

snipershot
03-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Chris seems to be doing better each time we hear about him, this isn't the end but it seems to be getting closer a little bit at a time.

GO CC /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
03-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Should be a downhill slide from here Heide !!! Tell Chris to keep up the good work... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

Rich R.
03-05-2003, 04:53 AM
That is the kind of news I like to read, first thing in the morning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This may be a better day than I thought it was going to be. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bluewolf
03-05-2003, 05:48 AM
This is SO wonderful, Heide!!! I know you must be estatic!!!!

Laura

Jon from MN
03-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Thank you I needed some good news. Keep it comming. Is it cold there? its been -20 to -30 here and thats not counting the wind chill. We have to have a sense of humor to live here. stay warm Jon from mn

Karatemom
03-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Well, the good news just keeps coming. But Barbara, beware, the following may contain material that is unsuitable for you, LOL.

They changed his trach valve and lowered his breaths down to 2. He has been managing 4 on his own pretty well, so they moved it down to see how he would handle 2. That means 2 assisted breaths per minute and the rest done by him. They expect him to get off the vent soon, but won't take the trach out just in case he has to go back on.

I was mistaken about the procedure yesterday, though. Yesterday, they drew 600 cc's (no pun intended) out of his abdomen, not from the pocket of infection. So his belly had some fluid in it as well. Today, they put a tube in to drain the pocket of infection. His only chest tube now is about done draining as well. It could come out soon.

They got him out of bed (he can't get out by himself), and into a chair for about 4 hours today. He got a beautiful plant sent over from everyone at the pool hall, too. And to top it all off - the best thing. I told him that I had to go and he motioned for me to come closer. He wanted a kiss. So of course I'm not about to deny him that, LOL. He's looking better, and is doing great.

Heide

nAz
03-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey now thats great news!
I have heard nothing but shitty news lately and CC doing well has made me feel better. Tanx /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-05-2003, 04:39 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifKisses from the wife always made me feel better..

good posts are always welcomed.. its just a matter of time..

Barbara
03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[Note to self - don't be drinking any liquids when reading Heide's pm's. It causes a lot of "prairie dogging" among the cubicles at work when you start choking on said liquid.]

Barbara~~~I'm okay now <hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the good news just keeps coming. But Barbara, beware, the following may contain material that is unsuitable for you, LOL.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey!! It wasn't your post that had me spewing at work, it was your private message, you know, towards the end -- THAT PART!!

Don't make me go there!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

Rod
03-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Aww a little kiss from his home nursey, how sweet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Heide, that is great news just to hear he was able to get off that thing and into a chair. I imagine he is very weak and probably lost a fair amount of weight. I'm sure he enjoyed that short time. Great news and it just keeps getting better. Take care girl.

Rod

Troy
03-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Why you teasin' us with this ??? GO THERE, GO THERE !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Hey!! It wasn't your post that had me spewing at work, it was your private message, you know, towards the end -- THAT PART!!

Don't make me go there!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
03-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Yup, sure is good news !!! Next thing you know CC will be chasin' you around the room... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep up the good stuff

Troy

Karatemom
03-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Not a chance. Girl talk, no guys allowed, hahahahahaha.

Heide ~ was not herself last weekend

Barbara
03-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Yeah, what Heide said.

Pbbbbbbbbth!

Barbara

cheesemouse
03-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Kmom,
I've been away for days and days playing pool. I hoped there would be this good news when I got back...I'm happy for all of you guys.....Give the guy a big wet one for me too......LOL LOL

9 Ball Girl
03-05-2003, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> He wanted a kiss.

You mean he didn't ask for a pool cue or anything else pool related?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just kidding! I'm sooooo glad he's coming through! I'm sure your kiss made him feel tons better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vagabond
03-06-2003, 04:52 AM
Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
03-06-2003, 04:58 AM
Getting out of bed and into a chair is GREAT NEWS ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is a very large step in the right direction for Chris.

Keep that good new coming. I just LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Wally_in_Cincy
03-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Karatemom,

I'm so glad to see the smiley faces on your updates the last few days /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bet CC was glad to get out of that bed for a while.

Best wishes from Hamiltucky,

Wally

Stretch
03-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Hello Heidi! Others are much more eloquent than i, but i'm very happy that you can visit with us as a break from worry and what not. Your strength and grace under fire is very inspiring.

To Sid--Yes, where the heck did Ken go? He was so prolific. To say that Rackmup liked to post is kinda like saying Jimmy Hendricks new a few cords. LOL

As to cleaning, my motto is "clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy" St. ~~new the 10 second rule, before it was even a rule"~~

Kato
03-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Sunday night I spent the evening sipping beer and shooting pool with Ken. He's alive and well /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and unfortunately a lot busier than we'd like him to be /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~likes this particular circle guy /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gifthe best for some reason

Karatemom
03-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Not much change today. Still doing good. They did bring his assisted breaths down to 0, but they keep the pressure in the lungs by the machine. I don't understand that part of it as much as I do the breathing part. So he is breathing on his own now, but still on the trach. He seemed to be a little more alert than usual today as well. Not much else to report, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Heide

Troy
03-06-2003, 06:58 PM
It's getting so I expect progress every day Heide.
Please tell Chris I said "Hello".

Troy

Karatemom
03-06-2003, 07:27 PM
I will gladly tell him that, Troy. Let's just hope that progress keeps coming. A minor setback now and then is okay, but not preferred, LOL.

eg8r
03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Heide,
I am so excited with all this good news. I cannot wait until he is back. Maybe you could rest that Southwest against his chair. It might help him fight off the evil sickness and help speed up the recovery. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tell Chris we are praying for you guys everyday.

eg8r

Karatemom
03-06-2003, 11:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Heide,
I am so excited with all this good news. I cannot wait until he is back. Maybe you could rest that Southwest against his chair. It might help him fight off the evil sickness and help speed up the recovery. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tell Chris we are praying for you guys everyday.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

It's funny you say that. Before all the complications, he wanted me to take a picture of him in his hospital bed with his cue and post it for you all to see. That might be just the thing he needs, LOL.

Heide

Rich R.
03-07-2003, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Before all the complications, he wanted me to take a picture of him in his hospital bed with his cue and post it for you all to see. That might be just the thing he needs, LOL.

That is a great idea, Heide. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe you could also post a rear view picture of Chis in his hospital gown. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif We all need a little ammunition for the future Black Mail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Karatemom
03-07-2003, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> That is a great idea, Heide. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe you could also post a rear view picture of Chis in his hospital gown. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif We all need a little ammunition for the future Black Mail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

hahahahahahahahahaha! I could come up with some real doozies, too.

Heide

Karatemom
03-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Not much change today. He is still breathing on his own but being assisted with the PEEP (pressure in the lungs). His temp is normal and steady. They did say that he will have to have months of physical therapy to get his muscles working correctly again. Sitting, or laying, in bed for almost a month now, and still more to come, his muscles just don't get used too often. I'm going to try and lean on the nurses a little to get him a speech valve for his trach tube. At least then it'll be a bit easier for him to communicate with everyone.

Heide

Barbara
03-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey Heide!

This is good news about his lungs. But about the muscles - they will atrophy from unuse. Maybe you can get a Physical Therapist or qualified volunteer to work his legs somehow and get some fluidity going in his joints - without upsetting his stomach sutures. Same with the arms? Is there some kind of massage therapy that would help?

Bear in mind - the stomach muscles are tied to just about everything we do - bending/standing/lifting/sitting - and CC's got a small leak - there still should be something isolated they could suggest to help. Talk to a PT.

If it could start in a small way now, it would help in the long run of recovery.

Barbara~~~Hey Rod!! This is "Girl's Talk"!!! NOT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I't just a little joke.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
03-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Any little bit of motion will help. The muscles will atrophy, already have, but some motion should be better than none. I agree a PT might be a great help.

Troy

Karatemom
03-07-2003, 08:11 PM
I agree about his muscles. The ICU has his legs in these things that inflate and deflate constantly, keeping the blood circulating, and moving the muscles. There is someone who comes in and massages his arms. He is just still too weak to be able to undergo any kind of stomach muscle work. They move him at least twice every day, to try and get him using his muscles again. When he sits, he does try and get up, but can't. So I know he is using those arms. His legs will need more work in the future. He's always had very strong legs, so that may be a plus for him in the long run. He is getting stronger every day from what I can see. He is able to do more moving around than a week ago. He will even move his legs around in the bed, bringing them up and down. Guess he's learned a few things along the way, LOL.

I feel that they are doing what they can for now and will increase his PT as he gains some strength.

Thanks for the concern.

Heide

bluewolf
03-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi

Thanks for the good news about Chris. Sounds like he is getting pt if someone is moving his muscles twice a day. Some hospitals also have a rehab department for patients who have been ill a long time. The one my dad was in was a month of intensive pt and intense everything. Plus pt at home. I feel sure chris will get pt for a while until he regains his strength.

Laura

Rich R.
03-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Heide, the little things you notice are very big steps in the right direction, for Chris's recovery and future rehab.
It all sounds like good news to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
03-08-2003, 02:13 PM
I understand his muscles will have little if any strength from being pretty much stationary for such a long time. But physio will take care of him getting his strength back. It's been nothing but good news recently and it sounds like Chris is moving along nicely on his road to recovery. Let's hope for more good news in the future!

Karatemom
03-08-2003, 04:17 PM
The news just keeps getting better.

1. He stood and took a few steps this morning.
2. They will be clamping his g-tube and eating actual food in a few days.
3. The last chest tube is about ready to come out.
4. The nurses said he is very close to getting off the vent.

He was being a pain in the butt this morning. Unplugged his vent 3 times, and he ripped the blood-oxygen monitor on his finger off. He was not a happy camper. But he has settled down and is doing better now. He's as onory as ever so I know he's feeling better.

Heide

Leviathan
03-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Heide--That's great. Very happy for you. Please tell Chris we're glad he's on his way back. He needs to quit stalling; he's missing some good games!

Duke

Troy
03-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Being a cranky ornery old fart eh ????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif GOOD !! Means he's getting better... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy...~~~ Waiting for CC to start chasing Heide around the bed. (Or maybe nurses /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Rod
03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi Heide,
The news just keeps getting better. Good for Chris, those hospital attachments are a pain in the butt. A guy just needs a break once in a while. Something in the same spot for a long time is more than annoying. I know I'd be ripping something off before long especially if I had to indure as manys days as Chris has. Actually he seems quite calm, if he could talk i'm sure some words would fly!

Not anything near Chris but after an operation they had an IV (Glucose) ?in me with my arm taped down flat to a board. After a few hours my elbow was killing me. I rang for the nurse and said I wanted this thing off me. She said it had to stay in. I said it was comming off and when she left I was going to untape my arm and pull it out! lol She said wait let me contact the DR and I'll be right back. Well her and some doc come back and set me free. Man it hurt like hell and took a while before it quit. Rod doesn't like hyper extended elbow, it wasn't my shooting arm. lol

Another time after back surgery late that night I got tired of laying there. I got up, barely, and decided to go for a stroll. Down the hall to the nursey station holding on to my pole for support. Oh and flashing a nurse or two in my little nightie! When I got to the station my nurse was there. She said what are you doing up you could hurt your self and the doctor needs to ok this first. lol I said just out for a visit, I guess the doc is a little late for that. She escorted me and my pole back to the room. It was good because I worked up a sweat on my constitutional. At least this time my arm wasn't strapped to a board! Well some things are meant to be but we don't have to like them. I can imagine how frustrated Chris must feel at times. A little rebellion is good sometimes, if nothing else you get attention. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ rod starting the hospital anti masacree movement. lol

Troy
03-08-2003, 09:12 PM
In March of '00 I was in the hospital for an emergency stomach resection. After a couple days of Morphine drip, I decided I was going home, pulled everything out (IV's) and off (monitors), got up and walked about 2-3 steps before collapsing into a nurses arms. I don't remember any of it -- Morphine hallucinations.

Troy

Rod
03-08-2003, 10:50 PM
lol Barbara, it must be little cause it went flying over my head. No interception here! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ rod misses a lot

SpiderMan
03-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Heide, that's the best thing I've read in a long time. I don't know about the rest of the folks, but I find that every day I keep checking and checking back for your update on the "Cass News". It really bums me out on days with no progress.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
03-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Chris being a pain in the butt is certainly a good sign. It means he is getting strong enough to be pissed that he is still in the hospital. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If he gets too crazy, tell him that his hospital bed is roughly the same height as a pool table. He can practice his stroke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That should occupy him for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-09-2003, 10:19 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Great news Heide,
Now.. just take his cue on the next visit and tell Chris that the cue was missing him..

What a great summer we all will have, when Chris gets all better and starts whipping our butts at pool.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif