PDA

View Full Version : Does the Q-Wiz take off wood?

02-26-2003, 06:56 PM
The Q-Wiz (burnishing product endorsed by Mizerak) claims that it doesn't harm the cue or take off any diameter. After I used if I found a light tan powder that looked remarkably like wood on it. Am I doing something wrong or what!?

ceebee
02-26-2003, 07:52 PM
that tannish white powder ain't wood. It's more likely to be the sweat & oil from your skin. I've been using the Q-Wiz for 2-3 years... it is a marvelous product. I have a $1800 Richard Black, an $1800 Joss West, a great High Dollar Adams & a $1000 Pechauer that I use. I'm a good player, I play at nice establishments that do not allow powder any longer & the Q-Wiz is great. How's that for a testimonial... & I don't even like the guy that market's it.

TonyM
02-26-2003, 11:43 PM
The cuewiz is essentially a flexible wet or dry sandpaper (yes it's an abrasive) bonded to a flexible substrate. So yes, it will and does remove wood!

But not very much. One side is coarser than the other. So if you are worried about diameter reduction, use the smooth side.

I only use sandpaper (and I keep a cuewiz in my case for rare useage btw) after I have cleaned a shaft with an abrasive liquid cleanser. The water raises the grain, and a fine sandpaper is needed to smooth & knock the grain back down again.

Otherwise, I never touch my shaft with sandpaper or any abrasive at all. Why would I?

I clean my shafts with a mild solvent after each use (rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid) and at the pool hall I use a damp paper towel followed by a dry paper towel if the shaft gets a little sticky. And as everyone here knows, I use no finish whatsoever on my shafts other than a natural patina from hand oils. My shafts are bare wood. This is the best way to minimize build up of hand oils and the stickiness problem imo, and makes it easy to remove minor dents and dings.

So with that regimen, I NEVER have the need for any sandpaper.

For years now btw. So no diameter changes, and my shafts don't get dirty or sticky.

Tony
-there's always another way....

Barbara
02-27-2003, 04:16 AM
The Q-Wiz does not do any harm to the shaft of your cue. I use it on my on shafts when necessary and have been told by my Cue Man that it is okay to use.

It is a great product and I thank Jack for including me in his "Test Group".

Barbara~~~has a couple but will only give the "extras" out to friends... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HalSmith
02-27-2003, 04:50 AM
I was told by my cuemaker,Jerry Olivier, that it was the best thing to use on my shafts , that it wouldn't remove any wood just the oils and dirt then use the smooth side like the direction say. Smitty

Paul_Mon
02-27-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> The Q-Wiz (burnishing product endorsed by Mizerak) claims that it doesn't harm the cue or take off any diameter. After I used if I found a light tan powder that looked remarkably like wood on it. Am I doing something wrong or what!? <hr /></blockquote>

From the archives:

I was part of the test group that helped in developing the Q-wiz and their other product Pro-Glide. They sent me two different pads to evaluate and send feedback on. I agree that the Q-wiz does a good job but it is abrasive and acts just like any sandpaper in that regard. It will remove material from your shaft and ferrule. I've have also tried "Q Slick" and "Sterlings" cleaner. Neither would get my endorsement. Acetone, lighter fluid, denatured alcohol or 90% isopropol alcohol will clean any shaft. It may not clean all ferrules. After cleaning the shaft I burnish with leather and a piece of waxed paper. I try not to use abrasives of any kind on my shafts.

best regards...........Paul Mon

02-27-2003, 07:03 PM
So it sounds like Q-wiz is more of a cleaner than it is a burnisher.

TonyM
02-27-2003, 11:17 PM
Leather is a burnisher, a paper towel is a burnisher. The Q-wiz is a fancy piece of sandpaper.

Btw, Paul gets the TonyM good shaft houskeeping "seal of approval"!

Except for the bit about the wax paper.

Tony
-no wax for me....

Irish
02-27-2003, 11:21 PM
The abrasive side cleans the cue and then you flip the Q-wiz over and use the straight leather side to burnish the cue. Use a semi firm grip on the Q-wiz with the leather side on the shaft and then stroke up and down the shaft as fast as you can till it gets really hot. Nothing out there burnishes better.