PDA

View Full Version : Own your own table?

Yuppie
02-26-2003, 09:27 PM
How many of you own your own table? If so, what size? If not, how do you get around paying an arm and a leg in pool time? I currently love 9ft. tables, don't have my own and spend an arm and a leg playing. I suck!

cycopath
02-26-2003, 09:32 PM
I wish I had space for a table. Not in this house.
Fortunately the main ph I frequent during the week the table time is a straight $4 an hour, no matter how many people are with you. Not bad. Weekends it's double that.

Dicer
02-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Wish I had room also, but I got 2 places that are free from noon to 4 the other noon til 7 others round 3 an hour.

02-26-2003, 11:09 PM
i've got a 9' gc 4(double shimmed w/simonis) & i wasn't paying for my table time at my home room when i got the table. i do leagues in 2 different rooms now so that eliminates or cuts way, way back on time. usually, on non-league nights, i've got friends who come here to shoot. overall, i don't ever expect to recoup the cost of the table by poolroom time savings. as a matter of fact one of the worst things you can do for your game is get a table and quit going to the poolroom.

dan

cycopath
02-26-2003, 11:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>as a matter of fact one of the worst things you can do for your game is get a table and quit going to the poolroom. /quote]Why do you say that?

02-26-2003, 11:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>as a matter of fact one of the worst things you can do for your game is get a table and quit going to the poolroom. /quote]Why do you say that? <hr /></blockquote>

i think you get too good at that table, those cushions, those balls etc. playing a wide variety of places and people gives you a more complete game. to me, if you spend too much time on any one table or with any one opponent you get kinda stale. anyone disagree??

dan

cycopath
02-27-2003, 12:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>i think you get too good at that table, those cushions, those balls etc. playing a wide variety of places and people gives you a more complete game. to me, if you spend too much time on any one table or with any one opponent you get kinda stale. anyone disagree??

dan <hr /></blockquote>Oh I see. That makes total sense.
But it would be nice to have a table at home for running drills and stuff.

02-27-2003, 03:09 AM
To Mr Cycopath, yes sir, I totally agree. If you really want to get good, real good, then you are going to have to buy a table. You may want a 9' table, but you can fit a 7' table into almost any room or single car garage. Any table, any size, is free pool, and is better than nothing. The things you can practice on for hours are endless. These people are right, it can become a trap, you practice at home to get good, you still go to the pool hall to seek competition. You only get good, by playing people who are better than you. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger

HalSmith
02-27-2003, 05:08 AM
Nice table Dan. I do agree with you about playing on just one table and against the same person all the time. However I still envy you for having such a nice table and the way you have it set-up with the room to do so.--Smitty

bluewolf
02-27-2003, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> Nice table Dan. I do agree with you about playing on just one table and against the same person all the time. However I still envy you for having such a nice table and the way you have it set-up with the room to do so.--Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

We have an 8 ft in our living room. Unless we get a bigger place, that is all that we have room for. I do suffer in laeague, though, if I do not practice on the 9fts. And I also think tha HD is right about getting too used to features of that one table.

Laura

NH_Steve
02-27-2003, 06:56 AM
I have a real oldie -- probably 1890? -- Brunswick Popular, naturally in need of restoration /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif . I use it to try to keep in stroke between trips to the PH, as well as to practice specifics. It decidedly has quirks (including four slates, which puts a joint right down the middle of the side pockets!). I actually avoid having other players on the table -- I used to, but you know how pool players love to complain about the rolls, the rails, the cloth, the pockets, ad infinitum ad nauseum /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif -- hell they do that on near perfect equipment, when they got on my table it was a bit too much. That's okay, I use it for my practice. Since my son took up drums, his drumset encroaches one corner, but who cares, for practice I just move to the opposite corner. Then on the weekend I drive a loooooong way to put in a whole day butting heads with the best one pocket competition I can find /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMO, players that spend too much focus on their home table tend to lack the nitty gritty competition skills to do as well as their shotmaking skills might otherwise suggest, once they face hardened players out in the real world -- they may look like an A player, but they often fold likea C. They are just not going to learn all the cut-throat safety play -- and safety escapes -- that they would in tough competitive action.

02-27-2003, 07:40 AM
I have an 8' Connelly and if I didn't I would be really broke or really shitty at pool.

02-27-2003, 08:01 AM
I have an 8' Brunswick Avalon. It's been a very nice table. I wanted a 9' but the room was about 8" too narrow to comfortably fit a 9' so I had to compromise.

Before that I drove 30 miles to the nearest decent PH with $8/hr table time. But they did offer an annual membership for $50 that gave you a locker, free weekday table time, and half-price ($4/hr) table time on evenings and weekends.

David

Fred Agnir
02-27-2003, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> You may want a 9' table, but you can fit a 7' table into almost any room or single car garage. Any table, any size, is free pool, and is better than nothing. <hr /></blockquote>
I agree (what else is new?). I have a 7' home table. My first house only had room for it (barely), so that's what I got. When I bought my current house, the house shopping criteria included that a 7' table must fit. Luckily, my wife understands and encourages my foolishness.

Fred

Paul_Mon
02-27-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> How many of you own your own table? If so, what size? If not, how do you get around paying an arm and a leg in pool time? I currently love 9ft. tables, don't have my own and spend an arm and a leg playing. I suck! <hr /></blockquote>

I've got a 9' GCIII (w/Simonis 860) that sees daily use from December through April. I also go to the PH about twice each week and play on GCIII's (w/Simonis 860) but they all play slightly different. I've got Centenials at home that I polish once per week and the PH uses a lesser grade of Aramith ball thats polished daily.

I do hate paying table time to do something that is free at home but you need to get out and match up occasionally to measure your progress or lack of.

Paul Mon

NBC-BOB
02-27-2003, 08:55 AM
I have a Brunswick Heritage 4X9 that I bought used for a great price.Since my other hobby is woodworking I restored all the mahogany on the table.Installed 860 cloth and the table plays great.When my wife and I were looking for a new house, I told her I wouldn't buy any house that didn't have room for the table.It's down the basement, lots of room and it's heated so I'm a happy guy.I do get tired of playing by myself,and tried to get some NJ players to answer my other posting "NJ table owners", but only got 1 reply and he's to far away.

Popcorn
02-27-2003, 09:14 AM
I have a 9 foot GC 1, I have had over the years in my house an Anniversary, Sunyer Willhelm, and a Gandy. Couldn't imagine not having a table. It should certainly be a goal of anyone that likes pool.

Predator314
02-27-2003, 09:35 AM
I want one badly. I'm eyeballing getting an Olhaussen. I just don't have room to put one. I do get to play free pool though. I belong to the local Moose lodge down the road and for my $30/year dues, I can play all the pool I want on the 8' Brunswicks for free.

griffith_d
02-27-2003, 12:09 PM
I recently purchased a Connelly Coronado oversize 8 and love it. I can practice anytime and those shots that come out of nowhere in your head,..youc can try them right then.

I would get the largest table you can fit in your house, get the nicest(or better) you can afford, used or new, and start practicing.

So far, I play everday, except one, for the past month. It has helped my stroke as I really never practiced much, because of the time and the money.

Griff