PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Bankers

Fred Agnir
02-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Let's all remember this is a discussion group with sharing in mind. Now, as far as the greatest bankers, since I have never seen some of the older players in their prime, then it would be tough to say. That being said, here's my list of the greatest bankers that I have personally watched.

Nick Varner
Gary Spaeth
Truman Hogue
Whitey Stephenson
Glen Rogers
Jose' Parica

I've got a little (very little) story about all of them, but most of what I've seen of them is either from the Derby City tournaments (I've been to three) and the World One Pocket a couple years ago in Maine. I used to live in Dayton, so I saw Gary a lot.

I think it's interesting to note that the players who are known for other games like Nick, Jose, Buddy, Shannon, who bank well, bank differently than the Stephensons and Hogue. The latter seem to smoke almost all their banks, while the former group do a lot more speed blending. That's my observation.

Anyone else?

Fred

Robert Pirrazzi
02-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Leonard "Bugs" Rucker, hands down my pick for bestbanker. Bob

bluewolf
02-27-2003, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
I think it's interesting to note that the players who are known for other games like Nick, Jose, Buddy, Shannon, who bank well, bank differently than the Stephensons and Hogue. The latter seem to smoke almost all their banks, while the former group do a lot more speed blending. That's my observation.

Anyone else?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>\

What does 'smoking their banks' mean relative to speed blending. I just know about useing tip position and ball speed. Not smoking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Laura

Ralph S.
02-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Interesting question as I really like bankshots myself. Shannon Daulton is probably one of the betters of the newer generation, but some of the best banking I have ever seen was by two old men that ran a pool hall here in my town years ago. Their names were Bob and Louie. Cant remember the surnames. They both were very accomplished players and both played the pro circuit. One day I was watching them play on a snooker table and realized that they werent using the snooker balls but playing 8ball and they were trying to bank as much as possible. Most hardcore players know the size difference between the pockets and balls going from regular billiard games to snooker. In my opinion they were two of the best. And just for the record they didnt miss much at all.
Ralph S.

Popcorn
02-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Eddie Taylor, Saw him doing banks just fooling around in the pool room and neither Nick or Buddy could reproduce some of the banks he was making. They were in the room at the time and tried.
I played Don Anderson, and I would put him right up there as one of the best.
I player both Little Truman as well as Gary and would put Truman ahead of Gary.
Although not known as a banker, Mike Sigel banks real good and would be a world class banker if he was to specialize in it. Banks is far from my best game, but one of my favorite games to play. More players should play banks, it is a lot of fun. I should add, when I match up with the above mentioned players, I am getting an arm and a leg. Little chance I would be playing Little Truman or the late Gary even.

Popcorn
02-27-2003, 09:56 AM
They fire the in at high speed. Gary by the way, would hit banks like that even playing one pocket.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Well this is not "all-time" but I surmise that John Brumback is considered one the best bankers around right now.

I have an Accu-stats match between he and Gary Spaeth (DCC 1999?) and Spaeth was fortunate to beat him on that particular day.

Popcorn
02-27-2003, 10:06 AM
I bet some are reading your post and saying what is he talking about, but I know what you mean. When I used to run around, I sometimes would run into a totally unknown player that played super and did not even know how good they played. I remember a guy caller Sugar Shack Johnny telling me about being on the road with Squirrel. Johnny was a Tush Hog and backer who often got you into more trouble then he kept you out of. They got busted by some kid that played like God. Johnny later went back and took this unknown kid on the road. It was Buddy Hall. He said the first place they went was to play Wennie Beanie. They hardly won anything because Buddy had no idea how to stall. All he know how to do was run out.

Deeman
02-27-2003, 10:08 AM
I agree that Eddie Taylor was the best that ever hit a bank shot. I have seen him hit banks other world class players would not even try. If there was ever anyone better, I just can't imagine it. I had always thought Efren Reyes might be until I saw him play quite a few times. He is good but if I had to let someone bank any shot for my life, it would be Mr. Taylor.

02-27-2003, 11:06 AM
I never saw Eddie Kelly but Bugs was definitely the best that I have seen. Stedyfred

Jon from MN
02-27-2003, 11:15 AM
I know a black man named Johnny Williams in minnesota who 6 railed the 8 ball on the short end of the table in a game for 100.00 he was the best I have ever seen. I was told he went to vegas in the 80,s and crushed everone in banks.

nAz
02-27-2003, 12:16 PM
You all forgot to mention MARS from PHjunkies now he can bank!!

9 Ball Girl
02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>

You all forgot to mention MARS from PHjunkies now he can bank!! <hr /></blockquote>http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/lol.gif

I saw Mika bank every shot in 9 ball while he was practicing alone once. I can't remember if he did 2 racks in a row though but definitely one.

02-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Alf Taylor did a video shoot a few years ago for his dad,Eddie Taylor.I am on record there stating Mr. Eddie Taylor is the best I've ever known.
Next would be Bugs Rucker.Followed by a half dozen of the old Johnson City all-round players.
Gary Spaeth deserves a lot of consideration,I saw him in South Carolina in the early 70's.What a talent.
I appreciate the interest in the great Bankers.Local Legends aside,if there is one shot to be made,I want the Greatest,Mr. Eddie Taylor.imho.

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifajunfats
the bayou ban(k)ger

woody_968
02-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Bugs was by far the best that I ever had the pleasure to watch.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2003, 06:35 PM
When "Bugs" came to Cincy to play Gary Speath, "Bugs" wouldn't play for the big money without a spot from Gary.

And, if he couldn't get the spot on a game a banks, he would ask for a spot for ONE pocket.

But I have to admit, Bugs was one great bank pool player.

Vagabond
02-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Howdy Fred,
I am with u .U may consider including Mark Tadd and Fargo. Mark Tadd used to bank with electrifying speed.There is a road player named Fargo.He is considered to be one of the best in the country.In my book Mark Tadd is the best.
I like to watch Late Gary spaeth play born again Christian Mark Tadd.That will be intoxicating.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JMD in VA
02-27-2003, 11:08 PM
I have to agree with cajunfats! Eddie Taylor is the best bank pool player that has ever lived. I have that video he refers to. If anyone can get their hands on it I suggest it. That was a banking SOB on that tape. And you have to remember, he was around 75 when the tape was made. He's around 83 now. He has a record of banking 37 balls in a row gambling with a guy when he was 19. THAT'S STRONG!!!
The tape name in "Eddie Taylor and the Legends of Pool".
You know when Fats is giving someone praise theyt are damn good! I talked to Mr. Taylor last year on the phone. Super nice man! We talked for almost 10 minutes. I sent him a ball and a picture and he signed them both and he sent me a small diagram of a terrific bank shot he shoots on the tape. Best Bank Pool PLayer: "The Knoxville Bear" Eddie Taylor; Bar none!

JMD in VA
02-27-2003, 11:10 PM
I have to agree with cajunfats! Eddie Taylor is the best bank pool player that has ever lived. I have that video he refers to. If anyone can get their hands on it I suggest it. That was a banking SOB on that tape. And you have to remember, he was around 75 when the tape was made. He's around 83 now. He has a record of banking 37 balls in a row gambling with a guy when he was 19. THAT'S STRONG!!!
The tape name in "Eddie Taylor and the Legends of Pool".
You know when Fats is giving someone praise theyt are damn good! I talked to Mr. Taylor last year on the phone. Super nice man! We talked for almost 10 minutes. I sent him a ball and a picture and he signed them both and he sent me a small diagram of a terrific bank shot he shoots on the tape. Best Bank Pool PLayer: "The Knoxville Bear" Eddie Taylor; Bar none!

eg8r
02-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Any chance we could get you to put that shot on the WEI table and show it to us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r (Hey it doesn't hurt to ask /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Voodoo Daddy
02-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Nick can bank, no doubt. Bugs, Truman and Gary may be the best of an era. Shannon and Brumbeck may be the next best thing...if your from the south you always lean towards your people. Danny Diliberto told me once about Sailor Barge banked a full rack of balls while talking with the rail, only to throw out 15 more and start over!! For my dough its Truman...hands down!!

Fred Agnir
03-01-2003, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Nick can bank, no doubt. Bugs, Truman and Gary may be the best of an era. <hr /></blockquote>Man, I wish I saw Bugs in his prime.

Fred

03-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Vagabond,we were just talking about Mark Tadds coming through last night at the Winner's Choice Tournament.
We still remember how well he played.Thanks for mentioning him,and I personally wish him all the best.We had a pleasant visit while he was in town.
I cannot vouch for Mark Tadd's pure Banking skill,but I have a short episode where he came through Lake Charles around 1991.
He strolls into the old Fast Freddies looking for some 9 ball action.I greeted him by name and you should have seen the look on his face.I told him this town was dead cuz nobody locally was his speed and he wasn't going to give up the rainbow to match up.I remarked he had two directions,go to Beaumont and play"the car salesman",or go to New Orleans and play Flyboy,Howard,and those guys.We went to BMT and he matched up for $5,000.The kid had one of the most powerful breaks I've ever seen,...and I've seen many.Using a crooked as* cue he had(early composite ?)he ran out from everywhere.Great match,the kid finally beat Tommy and pulled the cash off the lights.He stayed in L.C. a few days and finally went to New Orleans.I saw him a week and a half later....Bust!He got into some one hole with those guys and got drilled,lost his cue and everything.Personally,I think he succumbed to the Big Easy's many distractions and was too exhausted to play.
When I saw him play at the old corner pocket he was awesome.Fearless,could make a shot from the parking lot,and was a great closer.On one break he Drew the cueball back to the headrail and it jumped the table!!!!
That's Power!
Thanks for mentioning Mark.

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifajunfats,
the bayou ban(k)ger