PDA

View Full Version : We Came, We Saw, and We...

9 Ball Girl
02-27-2003, 09:05 AM
laughed! Well, actually Eric and I felt the same way about the movie and Naz and TomBrooklyn felt the same way about the movie (albeit opposite to what Eric and I thought). I'm not going to give anything away here--at least not yet--but I think I can summarize in 3 words or less what I thought:

1. Overly dramatic
2. Pros Tuxedos?
3. Hustler ripoff
4. TCOM ripoff
5. Females? Pool?
6. No Research!

That's it for now. I could go on. That's the agony of seeing a movie on a subject you know more about than the general audience I guess. You get to dissect every little aspect, you know? The one female in the movie that actually might've been a "player" in the movie didn't get to shoot at all! That was a scene I would've loved to watch (with Mike Massey). Oh well.

Wendy~~the movie was OK but it definitely has nothing on The Hustler and TCOM /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Eric.
02-27-2003, 10:16 AM
First the disclaimer:

Don't read this if you don't want an opinion on the movie. (I don't want to spoil it for you)

I wasn't thrilled with the movie.

The main charactor(Mars) didn't do it for me. He seemed to try too hard to play a tough, king-of-the-jungle type and it wasn't too believable. The rest of the movie lacked any sort of an interesting plot and the whole thing could have been condensed down to about 45 minutes. Chazz Palmentieri played a good role. He was the pseudo gansta, wise guy role which he seems to play well. He carried the movie, IMO. Chris Walken was o.k. Not great, o.k. Ricky Schroeder. Ricky was o.k. too, although he didn't speak much throughout the movie. He was playing the role of a "13th ranked" player in the country/money player. At one point, when I was losing interest in the movie /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I started to nitpick the movies details like how Ricky the "Pro" was playing with the feared fiberglass cue. An all black cue, complete with the "ding resistant" shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, I remeber watching little Ricky on Silver Spoons when I was in college and he now looks like he has 10 years on me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

On a side note, we did get one thing out of the movie. I found out that top players play alot of bank shot/bank caroms /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Half the shots where banks. When Mars was trying to get back in stroke, he started by using the trusty side pocket bank (maybe I should try this to help my game along). I know, I know, those shots are "what people want to see". At least per Hollywood. I'm just a critical poolplayer. Anyway, we (the CCB IM Team) went to bang some balls afterwards and decided we have a new name for a shot: the Pool Hall Junkie or PHJ for short. That's the shots were you bank a ball 3-5 rails at warp speed. In fact, we all tried the shot and decided the "PHJ" may come up in a game someday and has a useful purpose. Hey, you never know...

Eric >two thumbs down

Kato
02-27-2003, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>I wasn't thrilled with the movie.
Ricky was o.k. too, although he didn't speak much throughout the movie. He was playing the role of a "13th ranked" player in the country/money player. At one point, when I was losing interest in the movie /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I started to nitpick the movies details like how Ricky the "Pro" was playing with the feared fiberglass cue. An all black cue, complete with the "ding resistant" shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, I remeber watching little Ricky on Silver Spoons when I was in college and he now looks like he has 10 years on me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Little Ricky was a cop on NYPD Blue, that made him much older probably and Eric you still look like you're freakin' 22 years old.

Kato~~~looks more like Rick Schrodoer than Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
02-27-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
.....On a side note, we did get one thing out of the movie. I found out that top players play a lot of bank shot/bank caroms /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
.....<hr /></blockquote>

Whereas the "pool players" in TV roles prefer the masse over all other shots /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Eric.
02-27-2003, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>I wasn't thrilled with the movie.
Ricky was o.k. too, although he didn't speak much throughout the movie. He was playing the role of a "13th ranked" player in the country/money player. At one point, when I was losing interest in the movie /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I started to nitpick the movies details like how Ricky the "Pro" was playing with the feared fiberglass cue. An all black cue, complete with the "ding resistant" shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, I remeber watching little Ricky on Silver Spoons when I was in college and he now looks like he has 10 years on me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Little Ricky was a cop on NYPD Blue, that made him much older probably and Eric you still look like you're freakin' 22 years old.

Kato~~~looks more like Rick Schrodoer than Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Kato, my man, I appreciate the compliment. As far as Ricky, when he was on Silver Spoons(playing a rich kid), he couldn't have been more than 8-10 years old. I was a Freshman or Sophomore in college. Somewhere along the lines, he passed me by in years! He looked like he had some serious mileage /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;the big 4 0 this year

Eric.
02-27-2003, 11:29 AM

Kato
02-27-2003, 11:33 AM
<hr /></blockquote>Eric &gt;the big 4 0 this year <hr /></blockquote>

40? I remember you telling us all you were 39 last year but I still don't believe you.

Kato~~~looks every single one of his 32 years and maybe a few more.

nAz
02-27-2003, 12:12 PM
the only thing i have to say about the movie is that it did'nt
leave me with the will to go shot pool like the "hustler" and to a lesser degree the "color of money" oh and it was free /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

will make a good edition to dvd collection.

NBC-BOB
02-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Well I haven't seen the movie yet,but my wife said when it's playing in our area she'll go with me.I for one don't think that the top players,shoot a lot of banks.There cue ball control is so good that, they don't have to.

9 Ball Girl
02-27-2003, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>Eric &gt;the big 4 0 this year <hr /></blockquote>

40? I remember you telling us all you were 39 last year but I still don't believe you.

Kato~~~looks every single one of his 32 years and maybe a few more. <hr /></blockquote>Dudes, you guys don't look anywhere near your ages! Besides, if you practice your PHJ shots, you're sure to stay young! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wendy~~will be 30 in December, still gets carded and proud of it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

L.S. Dennis
02-27-2003, 01:59 PM
It's that bad huh? What about all the advance screenings in which people were rating it somewhere between The Color Of Money and The Hustler? I'll be seeing it anyway albeit a little less enthusiastically!

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>The main charactor(Mars) didn't do it for me. He seemed to try too hard to play a tough, king-of-the-jungle type and it wasn't too believable. <hr /></blockquote>I think the screenplay could have added a scene or two to more fully develop how he became such a "tough" guy, though it went part way to that goal by explaining how he was abandoned by his father and taken under the wing of the greedy hustling pool backer. It then leaps to a couple of major hustling scenes.

But I thought he did pretty well with the role he was given. One problem I had with him was his chin. I kept getting distracted by it, thinking he looks like Jay Leno. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some realism was added by his brother in the film looking amazingly like him. Maybe they're related in real life. (?)
=Tom

nAz
02-27-2003, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> It's that bad huh? What about all the advance screenings in which people were rating it somewhere between The Color Of Money and The Hustler? I'll be seeing it anyway albeit a little less enthusiastically! <hr /></blockquote>

Dude that is the best way to see this movie.
you will also learn new in sites into banking key balls

Lex Luther played the part of the "lot to learn younger brother" very well i think.

Warren_Lushia
02-27-2003, 03:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> laughed! Well, actually Eric and I felt the same way about the movie and Naz and TomBrooklyn felt the same way about the movie (albeit opposite to what Eric and I thought). I'm not going to give anything away here--at least not yet--but I think I can summarize in 3 words or less what I thought:

1. Overly dramatic
2. Pros Tuxedos?
3. Hustler ripoff
4. TCOM ripoff
5. Females? Pool?
6. No Research!

That's it for now. I could go on. That's the agony of seeing a movie on a subject you know more about than the general audience I guess. You get to dissect every little aspect, you know? The one female in the movie that actually might've been a "player" in the movie didn't get to shoot at all! That was a scene I would've loved to watch (with Mike Massey). Oh well.

Wendy~~the movie was OK but it definitely has nothing on The Hustler and TCOM /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

interesting thoughts. it'd be nice if maybe BD can set up a seperate forum, so those of us who have seen it can discuss details without spoiling it for others. i've watched it at least 20 times by now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

as for your points

1) actually i don't think it was overly dramatic. compared to the hustler and tcom, this one is a lot more lighthearted. still plenty of drama, but overly so imo.
2) the suits and tuxedos didn't stand out as being out of place in that scene, there are certainly events (or there has been) which pros dress like that. remember, part of the whole plot of the movie was johnny's dream was to be a pro. if when they showed the pro's they looked just like the other players in the halls, where would you get the contrast? i wished they had used some real pros with recongnizable faces (besides massey).
3) i already mentioned either here or on azbilliards i noticed the hustler rip offs too.
4) i'm curious what tcom rip-offs you noticed, i didn't catch them?
5) true, no females playing pool, but you can level that same criticism at the hustler and tcom. i guess in this day and age, its probably about time though /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
6) what do you mean by no research? maybe the dialog in the poolroom? they certainly threw out a few names like st.louie louie, boston shorty, jersey red. i thought that was pretty cool.

you didn't touch on my main pet peeves, which was the final bet and how it was won. my girlfriend actually liked that part, as well as some of the other hustles i thought were cheezy.

your right about seeing it from the perspective of a pool player, but i tried to not let that effect me too much. pool players will go watch it, the question is will the rest of the public? i'd like to know what they think!

warren..

Warren_Lushia
02-27-2003, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
The main charactor(Mars) didn't do it for me. He seemed to try too hard to play a tough, king-of-the-jungle type and it wasn't too believable. The rest of the movie lacked any sort of an interesting plot and the whole thing could have been condensed down to about 45 minutes. Chazz Palmentieri played a good role. He was the pseudo gansta, wise guy role which he seems to play well. He carried the movie, IMO. Chris Walken was o.k. Not great, o.k. Ricky Schroeder. Ricky was o.k. too, although he didn't speak much throughout the movie. He was playing the role of a "13th ranked" player in the country/money player. At one point, when I was losing interest in the movie /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I started to nitpick the movies details like how Ricky the "Pro" was playing with the feared fiberglass cue. An all black cue, complete with the "ding resistant" shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, I remeber watching little Ricky on Silver Spoons when I was in college and he now looks like he has 10 years on me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eric &gt;two thumbs down <hr /></blockquote>

hmm, i disagree. personally i though walken was the class of that movie, although chazz was good too. and i though callahan was pretty good too. i find it alot more believable that johnny doyle could be a world class player based on his background in the movie (being raised by joe and playing for big money all the time) than for instance, vincent in tcom being world class by playing for 20 bucks and dividing his time between pool, video games, and a sales job.

as for schroeder, i thought he was good except for his pool playing. he has a horrible bridge and that "shoveling sh*t" stroke were he jumps the cue up after every shot (btw so do the rest of the "players" besides callahan in the movie). as for the cue, well if he is supposed to be 13th in the country, it seems conceivable he has a deal ala johnny, earl, allison, cory, etc. to use a cheap cue. the funny thing was he carried his cues around in a guitar case! did you notice in the final scenes, johnny is using a southwest?!

warren..

Warren_Lushia
02-27-2003, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>

But I thought he did pretty well with the role he was given. One problem I had with him was his chin. I kept getting distracted by it, thinking he looks like Jay Leno. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some realism was added by his brother in the film looking amazingly like him. Maybe they're related in real life. (?)
=Tom <hr /></blockquote>

lol, i noticed that too. i don't think michael rosenbaum is related to callahan, i think they looked similar cause of the hairdo and cause they are both freakishly skinny. callahan appears to be about 6'6" and about a buck 50 dripping wet, and is the absolute definition of "lanky". the disturbing scene to me is when is is at the bar talking to toupee jay, and he is kind of slouched standing there. his profile from the side shows his neck is about 3 feet long and his giant head/face is hovering way in front of his body, ala shaggy in the scooby doo cartoons!

warren..

Warren_Lushia
02-27-2003, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> It's that bad huh? What about all the advance screenings in which people were rating it somewhere between The Color Of Money and The Hustler? I'll be seeing it anyway albeit a little less enthusiastically! <hr /></blockquote>

personally, i like phj better than tcom, but not nearly as much as the hustler. personally, i don't think tcom is a very good movie. 2 things save it, it is a continuation of the greatest pool movie, the hustler, and paul newman's character. tcom has a few things phj doesn't, like many real pros, particularly the excellent role by keith mccready, and more well developed characters and relationships (ie, fast eddy, vincent, and his girlfriend). but phj isn't nearly so annyong (i have nightmares about that "werewolves in london" scene with cruise acting like an idiot and shooting stop shots).

i wouldn't expect you to be overwhelmed by the pool playing or the pool room dialog, and as others have mentioned, the favorite shot is the bank at 90 miles per hour (even when an easy cut is available). but i think that silly flash will impress non-players and bangers who make up the majority of the potential audience. and lets be real, if they truly starting using "real" pool room jargon, how many people are gonna be able to follow it? could it be better? yes definitely, but it aint bad. its just gonna be hard to please real hard core pool fans yet make the movie watchable for the general public. the hustler achieved that, i don't think tcom did nor did phj, but phj is more enjoyable to watch.

also, despite of few "the hustler" rip offs this is a pretty different movie, where as the hustler and tcom were basically sequels (which is one of the reasons tcom is watchable).

warren..

snipershot
02-27-2003, 05:36 PM
I haven't been as eagerly excited about seeing the movie as others but I'm still interested in seeing it. From the sounds of things I shouldn't get my hopes up to high. Hopefully in the future there will be more movies that are pool related and we will be treated to more movies like The Hustler.

02-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Yo 9 ball girl, I'd like to come, see &amp; conquer you, what a doll. That is such a cool saying, you see I like some parables. Ah so, beautiful flower pettle, allow Fast to tell you a true story, over 40 years ago.
Your saying came from Julius Caesar, after his great victory over Pharnaces II, King of Pontus, he said "VENI, VIDI, VICI, so if you are not a nun, and looking at your picture Fast say's 5 gets you 8 you are not a nun, then you dont speak Latin, allow me to translate, "I came, I saw, I conquered." That was the entire message he sent to the Senate, he could have written a book, but that brief saying, told them what they needed to know, The Senate now knew that he had just celebrated a great victory in now what is Northwest Turkey at a place they called Zela. They just kept messing with this dudes wa, I mean come on, He had this l0.0 babe named Cleopatra who was the grooviest chick on the planet &amp; all the guy wanted to do was slide her in town so his old lady did not catch them. There is a old saying on this, by a teacher from Palestine, oh I forgot, they went ape over that one, a teacher from Jordon, this Jew, what he said was, he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. So you see old Julius has his problems like I do now, he had his Pompey, I have my Scott Lee. Here is an exact quote from the man, " Trust, the word has always made me apprehensive, like wine, when ever I have tried it, the after effects have not been good. I have given up wine and trusting any one any more, end of quote from caesar. What was Julius's reward for being the greatest man of all time, all of those who he made &amp; who he trusted how did they reward him, they stabbed him literally in the back, except Mark Anthony, who was smart enough to hi tail it across the pond &amp; grab da babe Cleo &amp; then sneak her into town past his old lady. You see, a beautiful chick can set sail to a thousand ships, and she did once exactly do that in 31 BC, at the battle of Actium, her name was Cleo. Did you ever hear the story about the golf ball going through the garden hose. And the Jew from Jordon, who only wanted to speak the truth, and his only message was love your fellow man, what was his reward for this, His fellow Jews, had him nailed high up on a old Olive tree to die like a dog in discrace. When Martin Luther King Jr, was encouraged to go out &amp; speak the truth about what was going on, he said and I quote, to go out &amp; preach the true meanings &amp; sayings and the true teachings of Jesus, to preach the truth, would be the most dangerous thing any one could possibly do, he said Jesus did exactly that, and look what happened to him. Well Martin knew the risk he took, and he ignored his safety, his family, &amp; he followed his vision, his calling, his ministry, and what was his reward for that, streets in the inner city are named after him now, I dont think that is what Martin had in mind at the time. Mohandas Karamchand in l948 in India preached a simple thing, satyagraha, he believed his life was nothing but a search for truth. He believed that truth could only be known through tolerance and concern for your fellow man, and that finding a truthful way to solutions required constant testing. He taught others how to master &amp; to over come fear. Have no fear in a fight, or a sports contest, fear nothing &amp; no man. He believed in non violence. He held that violence is better than cowardice. He lived a simple life, like Jesus, he walked everywhere, &amp; the only thing he owned was the clothes on his back, which he made by his own hand. He felt it was wrong to kill animals for food or to use their hides, he felt all life was special &amp; precious. He felt that a method of social action based upon principles of courage, nonviolence, and truth, shall prevail in the end, and that the way a peson behaves is more important that what he achieves. Over one third of the planet today, believes that he was the greatest soul to appear on earth in the last 1000 years. His reward was one of his own people walked up to him &amp; stuck a gun against his heart and pulled the trigger. You probably know him as Mahatma Gandhi.
OK, back to the friggin pool story. Come on Fast, your killing me here. In l955 a guy by the name of Hef starts this little magazine that has girls in it that were almost nakid, the first one was called Marilyn. Me Mom in 59 found my entire collection, all 50 of them from day one till then hidden under my bed, flipped out, &amp; dumped the entire collection in the dumpster, she was afraid I wuz gonna go blind or some tin like that I guess. Hef begins to have more money than God, you see sex sells, it always has, it always will, IE, REF, Las Vegas, so he opens this little nightclub in chicago, it is a hugh smash hit. The money is really rolling in now, so he begins to open these clubs in every major city in the country. The money keeps rolling in, now he builds a casino on the boardwalk, goes to London, there seems to be no end to this. The guy goes out &amp; buys a brand new DC9, put a bed in the damn thing, calls it the big bunny. This really impressed the S*** out of everyone, the company I worked for had 20 planes, but nothing like that, so we bought one of the first 737's that came off the line, hired the same outfit that did hefs plane, and we now have the most fantastic airplane on earth at the time. People who only value money, must have the best toy, go one up on them, they must top you. I was the luggage handler, stewardess, bartender, and sometimes co pilot. Things change, people change, that is why a cool hot bar today is soon yesterdays news, Studio 54 is such an example. When it's hot, it's hot, when it's not, it's not. To prove I was in all of those clubs world wide, here it is, the original playboy club is now the headquarters of the Electronic Reps Assoc, which I joined in the mid 80's, my profession is a electronic engineer, all I have ever done is sell computers and things that test them or run them. It all began in downtown Chicago. You had to be a gentleman, a businessman to belong, it was a club, you could not just walk in the door of the joint, well if you looked the part, were in a nice suit &amp; tie, they would give you a temporary paper cash key just for that one visit. Once you paid the membership you got a metal key or card. You got to go into the club, it wrote the book on swank, and it had the best looking babes on the planet working there. The main attraction was ordering a drink, then the bunny comes over &amp; takes the jigger with my Pinch Scotch in it, bends way over, &amp; begins to pour it in the empty glass real slow, my GD tounge is hanging out, I am beginning to pant &amp; I am trying to be cool, but these two fantastic you know whats are right in my friggin face, then she comes up a little &amp; pours the water on top, then tosses this long black swizzel stick in the glass that had the playboy logo on the top. Then she turns, sort of flips her cotton tail at you, then trots off. You cant get up for 5 minutes. Ok, that sounds really corny now, but back in l960, that was the hottest thing going. Here is one old Scott is going to love, he is going to have a Grand Mal seizure over this one, guess who once poured my scotch, then flipped her tail in my face, her first husband is frying hamburgers in Michigan right now outside of Detroit. Scott, she plays pool.
Who, damn, you see the doctors told me I have this disease, it's called CRS, cant remember S***.
The problem with the clubs was they had all of these beautiful babes, but most of them were married or had boy friends &amp; the club sort of frowned on them getting picked up by a member, I mean I found ways of getting around this, but it was not easy. I knew many bunnies, very well, if youse no where I am goin here. No brag, just fact. Well after sittin around &amp; getting half soused, da bunny comes by &amp; your tounge dont get hard no mo, you begin to get bored. You see it's an entire club of nothing but guys, no single chick ever went in there, if she did, they would have thought she was a working girl. They would have never let her in the door, I mean a guy can bring his girlfriend or wife in there, but what guy would be that F**** dumb to ever do that. So you get up, walk around, stretch your legs, there is no way your going to get laid unless your a faggot, nobody to dance with, Yes the jazz trio is soft and very cool, but ah yes, over in the corner is a bumper pool table. You see the beauty of this is Harry Da Horse, Jake the Snake &amp; No Neck Nelson never got in the door of this joint. I can just see Martin Kiaman walking up &amp; trying to go in, with his T shirt splattered with A1 sauce all over it. Nobody in the joint could play pool, they were all business people, none of them could run 3 balls. I used to sit there &amp; just drool at the possibilities, I could have won l9 zillion friggin bucks in that joint, I could have owed half of Las Vegas &amp; retired to Alcapulco. The problem is, I could not get a hold of the table &amp; begin pluckin da pigeons. Ah the pain of it all. You had to play the pool bunny. You paid her a buck for a game, if you beat her 3 times in a row, they ingraved your name on a wooded plaque, that said at the top of it, VENI VIDI VICI, the pool chick did nothing but play bumper pool all night long, day after day, week after week, month after month. Every one of them was trained by Da head big bunny at Chicago HQ. Bumper pool was popular back in the 50's, 60's, you could even go into some pool halls &amp; they would have a table. If it's a decent table, you could not beat me, I was unbeatable. I just banked in all 5 balls in a row, it was like tic tac toe, the only thing you could do was tie me. If the table was not right, and most weren't because people sat on the rails all the time, then it could become a true safety game, you advance a ball by cutting his inside of all the bumpers. If you could bank in off of the bumpers, you had everyone by the short hairs. You see when I grew up as a baby, I had a bumper pool table. By the time I was 10, I could not miss. Here is a good one for you, when my 3 kids grew up, there was always a pool table in my basement, they never saw me play on it ever, &amp; neither did they play much, because there was no one there to encourage them. They never knew at that time, I played a world class game. I never entered a tourney ever, but if I did, I probably would have ranked around 50th in the world in skill, and here I am easily one of the top 3 bumper pool players on earth, and da bunny thinks she has some drunk businessman standing in front of her she has to be nice to. I am a killer, I take no fargin prisoners, but she dont no that. So I come bopping up to da bunny &amp; I watch her beating all of deess bums, she can really hustle them good, she let's you win, but there is no way she is gonna let you win 3 in a row &amp; get on that damn hall of fame board, if she let's the board fill up, she gets fired. It was so tough to beat these ladies, most of the clubs I went to, usually had fewer than 7 or 8 people who had done it, covering a span of several years. So I would go into the can &amp; spill some booze on my hair, then dry it, then sort of stagger up to the table &amp; put on my best drunk hustle on the bunny, and play like a dog, and she lets me win the first game. The 2nd game she let's me get ahead, when she figures to make her move &amp; put me away, I run out, and you should see the look on her face, she knows now, she aint huntin me, I am huntin her. Ok, I blew my cover, the jig is up but I am on the hill &amp; I have her right where I want her, I have scared her, she knows she has a damn hustler working her, and she just got hustled. When the 3rd game begins, I just run 5 &amp; out, bingo, I am on the board, I came, I saw, I conquered. I was in every club they had, my name was on every board, but one. At the original club, I tried my hustle on da big bunny,you walk in the door, give them your card, they keep files on people, they made me coming in, &amp; ran back &amp; said here he comes, the cat talking out all of your girls, the guy in the silk suit. Damn, like a casino or sometin, they must have mailed her my picture because when I came up to the table, she was hip &amp; with it. She stares at me with those pool hustler beedy snake eyes, and I went oh S***. Dis bimbo beat on me like I wuz a rented mule, it was ugly to watch. No matter what I did, she ran out. No matter where I hooked her, she 3 railed in. I played so long I actually ran out of money, It went on all night long, at a dollar a game. It wuz the worst beating I had ever had. When I was going out the door, I said to the manager, where in the hell did you get that broad, she is the best damn thing I have ever seen, she is unbeatable. The guy just smiled &amp; said, you know Willie Mosconi was in last week, the same thing happened to him, and he said the same thing you did.....Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger

Steve Lipsky
02-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Larry, please - for the love of God and all that is holy - use some paragraphs. I'm sure what you write will be entertaining, but I get seasick trying to read your posts.

- Steve

9 Ball Girl
02-28-2003, 08:53 AM

It's not that bad. It was OK. Rating it between The Color of Money and The Hustler? No comparison. Although, of course, I will be adding this one to my collection as soon as it comes out on DVD. I'm going to go see it again as a matter of fact.

9 Ball Girl
02-28-2003, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warren_Lushia:</font><hr> 1) actually i don't think it was overly dramatic. compared to the hustler and tcom, this one is a lot more lighthearted. still plenty of drama, but overly so imo.<hr /></blockquote>

I meant overly dramatic with the way Mars Callahan did the tough guy role kind of thing. I loved Chaz and Christopher. I didn't really care for the love story plot though.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warren Luisha:</font><hr>2) the suits and tuxedos didn't stand out as being out of place in that scene, there are certainly events (or there has been) which pros dress like that. remember, part of the whole plot of the movie was johnny's dream was to be a pro. if when they showed the pro's they looked just like the other players in the halls, where would you get the contrast? i wished they had used some real pros with recongnizable faces (besides massey).<hr /></blockquote>

True. I would have to agree with you on that although like you, I would've liked to had seen some fimiliar pro faces as well.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warren Luisha:</font><hr>4) i'm curious what tcom rip-offs you noticed, i didn't catch them?<hr /></blockquote>

The shooting a ball without looking is what reminded me of Tom Cruise on TCOM.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warren Lushia:</font><hr>6) what do you mean by no research? maybe the dialog in the poolroom? they certainly threw out a few names like st.louie louie, boston shorty, jersey red. i thought that was pretty cool.<hr /></blockquote>

The name dropping was cool. I was referring to the dialog. Especially the part when Mars' lil brother's friend beat some guy and he went and snatched the money out of the guy's pocket and was shushing him. Whoa!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warren Lushia:</font><hr>you didn't touch on my main pet peeves, which was the final bet and how it was won. my girlfriend actually liked that part, as well as some of the other hustles i thought were cheezy.<hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you 100%

Wendy&lt;---guessing I'm too picky 'cause I hyped myself so much for this flick /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9 Ball Girl
02-28-2003, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I haven't been as eagerly excited about seeing the movie as others but I'm still interested in seeing it. From the sounds of things I shouldn't get my hopes up to high. Hopefully in the future there will be more movies that are pool related and we will be treated to more movies like The Hustler. <hr /></blockquote>

By all means, go see it Sniper! It's a pool movie. It can't get any better than that. I'm actually going to go see it again! Maybe this second time around I'll appreciate it some more. So go go go see it!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, I forgot to mention. I scored a poster of PHJ with a personal note on it to me from Chazz and Mike Massey! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9 Ball Girl
02-28-2003, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Yo 9 ball girl, I'd like to come, see &amp; conquer you, what a doll. That is such a cool saying, you see I like some parables. Ah so, beautiful flower pettle, <hr /></blockquote>

Larry, you are such a sweet potato! I will be coming over to you at Valley Forge in 3 weeks to introduce myself to you...and your little dog too! Good stories!

TomBrooklyn
02-28-2003, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Larry, please - for the love of God and all that is holy - use some paragraphs. <hr /></blockquote>I don't find myself enticed to read many posts of that kind of length. The elimination of paragraph composition as described here. (http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk5.html#9)pretty much ensures I won't be.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-28-2003, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
Larry, you are such a sweet potato....<hr /></blockquote>

The sweetness of his disposition is positively overwhelming.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-28-2003, 09:42 AM
You gotta admit, this is the first good bumper pool story we've had in a while.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-28-2003, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>
....Here is one old Scott is going to love, he is going to have a Grand Mal seizure over this one, guess who once poured my scotch, then flipped her tail in my face,....<hr /></blockquote>

Gloria Steinhem?

Popcorn
02-28-2003, 11:37 AM
I remember when the Playboy clubs had those tables. I was In a place one night with Danny D. and Chuckles and none of us could beat the bunny.

02-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Dear Steve. sorry about no paragraphs, when I figure out how to do dat &amp; where da key is, I will use it, but it does sound like a neat idea, but a waste of paper. Look Fast is a big TV star, he aint got no time to be doin chit chat with youse little people, com on, do you think Micheal Jordon &amp; Tiger Woods are actually on the chat boards or sending personal emails &amp; return letters to dare fans, no, dey have paid stooges to do dat, dare people get back to your people. Dont call dem, dey will call you. Old fast runs one of dees stories off I have to remember the damn thing, then type it using one toe nail, try doing that some time, why cant they make the keyboards bigger, and why cant they mark the key saying that it's paragraph, anyway, I am doin the best I can, so cut me some slack, I'd like to see that chow hound mut you have, I bet that bum cant even walk down &amp; bring back the evening newspaper for you, let alone do all of your email for you. I'f what I write does not please you, why keep reading it, when you see it is me, just FFWD to the next post, nobody is making you do dis, dare is no law youse has to read every thing dat is printed. Fast says youse is free, you can actually now do or go or say anything you want. He did a gig in Kansas once &amp; said that, everyone left the state, moved to Florida. He said it to me once, I took off on a little road trip by my self, three days later he hunted me down &amp; now I have this choke chain around my neck &amp; I get paid in hot dogs. Old Fast has a sign over his desk, it says, if you love something, set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down &amp; kill it. Dont mess with this guys's wa is all I can say. He is a very cool dude, if you wont dick with his wa. Look, my paw is killing me, I goota go, Max Da Wonder Dog

Fred Agnir
02-28-2003, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>
Your saying came from Julius Caesar, after his great victory over Pharnaces II, King of Pontus, he said "VENI, VIDI, VICI,... <hr /></blockquote>
And all this time, I thought it came from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Fred &lt;~~~ no shirt, no shoes, no dice

Warren_Lushia
02-28-2003, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

The name dropping was cool. I was referring to the dialog. Especially the part when Mars' lil brother's friend beat some guy and he went and snatched the money out of the guy's pocket and was shushing him. Whoa!

Wendy&lt;---guessing I'm too picky 'cause I hyped myself so much for this flick /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ahhhh, ok! but you have to remember, the dialog your speaking of between johnny's little brother's (danny) group (chris, max, and tang) in the pool hall is supposed to show how little they know about pool outside of their own small circle. look at the contrast in actions and words when johnny plays, i actually think that is a strong point in the movie, johnny's words and actions are more "seasoned", ie he wouldn't do something like what those kids were doing! i'm sure you've seen young males acting like that in the pool hall and you can tell they don't know jack. the big fish in a small pond thing.

i also thought johnny wasn't really supposed to be "tough" in the physical sense, but more street wise. he knew how to push buttons just enough not to get his ass kicked.

i noticed before you said you laughed during the movie, and so did i! but parts of it are supposed to be funny,, unlike the hustler or tcom, which makes this movie pretty different. it can't really be compared, it needs to be judged on its own merits.

next time you watch it, forget being a pool player for a second. the first time i saw it i was real critical of the pool playing too, and like you i have the hustler and tcom in the back of my head (its hard not to). this movie is so different, you need to forget those 2 movies and just take this one on its own.

warren..

nAz
02-28-2003, 04:33 PM
ROTF!

nows thats a great movie!

Hopster
02-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Pretty good movie. The Hustler it aint. Then again, they will never do anything that great ever again. But all in all, worth the price of admission.

9 Ball Girl
02-28-2003, 07:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warren_Lushia:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

Wendy&lt;---guessing I'm too picky 'cause I hyped myself so much for this flick /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ahhhh, ok! but you have to remember, the dialog your speaking of between johnny's little brother's (danny) group (chris, max, and tang) in the pool hall is supposed to show how little they know about pool outside of their own small circle. look at the contrast in actions and words when johnny plays, i actually think that is a strong point in the movie, johnny's words and actions are more "seasoned", ie he wouldn't do something like what those kids were doing! i'm sure you've seen young males acting like that in the pool hall and you can tell they don't know jack. the big fish in a small pond thing.

i also thought johnny wasn't really supposed to be "tough" in the physical sense, but more street wise. he knew how to push buttons just enough not to get his ass kicked.

i noticed before you said you laughed during the movie, and so did i! but parts of it are supposed to be funny,, unlike the hustler or tcom, which makes this movie pretty different. it can't really be compared, it needs to be judged on its own merits.

next time you watch it, forget being a pool player for a second. the first time i saw it i was real critical of the pool playing too, and like you i have the hustler and tcom in the back of my head (its hard not to). this movie is so different, you need to forget those 2 movies and just take this one on its own.

warren.. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I'm actually going to go see it again. And then I'll see it again and again once it's out on DVD! As far as seeing young males acting like that in a poolhall, shucks, I had to play one last night in a tourney. Let's just say my cue did the talking and left him speechless! But when I do go see PHJ again, I'll be less critical. I promise. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bell
02-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Just came back from seeing PHJ in LA. Three thumbs down. This is a bad thing for pool. A very cheap remake of Color of Money with very thin acting which is somehow supposed to be accelerated by interjecting f*** in every sentence. Speaking of acceleration, almost every shot was jacked up to warp speed to gain a few ooohs and aaahs from the non pool players. It felt a little like the Fonz in Happy Days meets Bluto. This film will not spark any new interest in pool. If anything it will turn people away from the game. A high level of excellence was set by the greats Hustler and Color and this falls far far below that level. I am surprised that respectable players like MM participated, but I guess money talks.