PDA

View Full Version : PETA...What is next

eg8r
02-27-2003, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Arutz Sheva News Service:</font><hr> PETA COMPARES CHICKENS TO HOLOCAUST VICTIMS
(IsraelNN.com) Featuring juxtaposed images of Jews in concentration camps with chickens in coops, the American animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has opened a new campaign attacking meat-eating. The organization's homepage links to a site called masskilling.com, which features further explicit comparisons of Jews murdered by Nazis to chickens eaten for food. PETA calls its new campaign "The Holocaust on Your Plate."

Recently, after an explosives-laden donkey exploded alongside Israelis in Gaza, PETA sent a letter to PLO leader Yasser Arafat, pleading that the terrorists "leave the animals out of it". The PETA letter made no mention of pleas on behalf of the Jewish victims of terrorism, although it could be argued that at least PETA recognized clearly who is the instigator of terrorism in the Palestinian Authority. <hr /></blockquote> What a joke. I wonder just how much of the rest of the world is sick and tired of this worthless group of whiners.
The last sentence is the only one that makes any sense in the whole quote.

Why don't these people have the same passion for the living, right to life, vegetation they consume. Hardly an aruging point but still the same idea.

eg8r

Kato
02-27-2003, 09:39 AM
I've often wonder about these people but every time I think about getting mad I immediately start thinking about the 22 oz T-bone I've got marinating in the fridge that I'm going to eat blood rare.

I don't have a problem with vegetarians, you have a right to eat what you want. I don't have a problem with carnivores, I am one. Don't get on my back about what I eat. Leave my chicken out of it.

Kato

bluewolf
02-27-2003, 10:31 AM
I once had a friend who was active in PETA. She once went up to someone who was wearing a full length rabbit coat and said "did you know that you are wearing x# dead rabbits?'.

Maybe if they would tone down a little, people would take them seriously.

'Fight many battles and win few
Fight few battles and win many"

So instead of going after one change at a time, they attack everything at once and accomplish nothing. But then who said people are supposed to be logical /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Laura

eg8r
02-27-2003, 10:59 AM
I agree. They have quite aggressive agendas. I am sure the chickens agree with PETA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am against the unethical treatment of animals, however I do love a giant steak. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to argue with a roomate about how he thought the meat industry was unethically treating the animals. His argument was that all those animals deserved the right to live. My argument, much to his chagrin, was that the animals were born and raised for the sole purpose of being slaughtered, sold, and consumed. Heck we were fulfilling our promise to the animal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif This is one argument he hated to have, I think I argued just to see him cringe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
02-27-2003, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've often wonder about these people but every time I think about getting mad I immediately start thinking about the 22 oz T-bone I've got marinating in the fridge that I'm going to eat... <hr /></blockquote> Agreed. I cut off the last part because I never eat meat rare.

I do not feel hypocritical about the subject of killing animals for food, however I do think it is wrong to kill an animal for an overpriced fur coat. However, if the animal was killed for food, and the furr was used as a coat, then that would be fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
02-27-2003, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I've often wonder about these people but every time I think about getting mad I immediately start thinking about the 22 oz T-bone I've got marinating in the fridge that I'm going to eat... <hr /></blockquote> Agreed. I cut off the last part because I never eat meat rare.

I do not feel hypocritical about the subject of killing animals for food, however I do think it is wrong to kill an animal for an overpriced fur coat. However, if the animal was killed for food, and the furr was used as a coat, then that would be fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It is difficult to get the nutrients one needs without eating meat. Also, there is nothing wrong with killing meat to survive, especially if a person does like the native americans and not waste any part of the animal. By not wasting any of its part, that shows respect. Anyway, I object to killing for sport.

I also like to have a nice steak about once a month. I do eat it almost rare.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Gayle in MD
02-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Oh Wow, LOL, Don't take my mink away from me. People have worn fur to stay warm since the beginning of time. Furs are warm, but not heavy.

A friend of mine gives me all kinds of grief about my mink, although she has had three abortions. Not that I am against a woman's right to choose, either, but just shows how people move their line around. Whenever she starts in on me about it, I always tell her that my minks were all depressed and suicidal anyway, lol.

They were discussing Lacy Peterson, that poor missing pregnant lady on Larry King's show the other night, and some animal nut called in and said, "Being an animal lover my main concern is about the dog, I just want to know what happened to the dog" I couldn't believe my EARS! And what about leather? Those jerks don't go around spraying paint on leather coats, do they? We all wear leather shoes.

I do think though that animals that are consumed for any help to man, should be treated humanely in thier demise, painless and quick.

Gayle in Md. also have alligator shoes and a leopard coat, lol. Love em' /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm alergic to wool, and really can't stay warm when it's really cold without it, although that wasn't the only reason I bought it. With my neck so bad, heavy coats really hurt to wear over long periods of time, like when you're out shopping in the mall. But I bought it mostly because I thought it was a beautiful coat, and realized later the other advantages to having it.

What I am against, is people telling other people how to think and what they should think and do. Now THAT, really makes me mad. "To each his own" is my motto.

I pick up crickets and spiders all the time and throw them our the door, LOL, and wouldn't hurt an animal for anything.

nAz
02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I hate when PETA members throw red paint on my leather sneakers arghhh!!

Wally_in_Cincy
02-27-2003, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Oh Wow, LOL, Don't take my mink away from me.

<font color="blue">You have a mink? I think you need a tax increase /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

And what about leather? Those jerks don't go around spraying paint on leather coats, do they? We all wear leather shoes.

<font color="blue">They don't like leather either. They wear cloth shoes. Or hemp. </font color>

....I bought it mostly because I thought it was a beautiful coat, and realized later the other advantages to having it.

<font color="blue">Me and my ex and my stepdaughter and my mother-in-law went to a show a few years ago and there were fur protestors out front. My ex and my mom-in-law were both wearing fur. As we approached I ran a few steps ahead and gave the protestors my "crazy-pissed off" look and growled at them /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I thought they were gonna wet their pants. Misguided college kids. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
02-27-2003, 12:52 PM
That's a riot, funny. When it comes to animals, though, and I love animals, but really some people are totally nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Gayle in Md, warm and happy in my mink, and paid the taxes when I bought it, lOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
02-27-2003, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh Wow, LOL, Don't take my mink away from me. People have worn fur to stay warm since the beginning of time. Furs are warm, but not heavy. <hr /></blockquote> I would not take it away or think any different. I just say, if something absolutely had to change, then that would be my first choice. I do know that the women look stellar in their mink coats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine gives me all kinds of grief about my mink, although she has had three abortions. Not that I am against a woman's right to choose, either, but just shows how people move their line around. Whenever she starts in on me about it, I always tell her that my minks were all depressed and suicidal anyway, lol. <hr /></blockquote> It is best to keep the suicidal minks down, they are liable to take out any other minks around them and that would amount to a bunch of unneccesary deaths. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You did the mink population proud. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
also have alligator shoes and a leopard coat, lol. <hr /></blockquote> This proves you love all animals and show no discrimination. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am having fun now, but I really do think the PETA takes too many things to the extreme. I wonder how PETA members even get to these boycott sites, my gosh, those cars all emit gases that are harmful to the wild life (at least the gases are not helpful). You bring up the point that some people draw their line in one place and others in another. These PETA people are only willing to refuse the use of animal products as long as it does not affect their comfort zone. Could you imagine all those people out riding bikes ever where they go. I bet there would be a lot less protests.

eg8r

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2003, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I hate when PETA members throw red paint on my leather sneakers arghhh!! <hr /></blockquote>Me too. Why don't we go to a PETA rally and throw guacamole and onion dip on their fabric cloths! How about tomato sauce? Let them try to get that out!

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2003, 03:29 PM
What does PETA say about animals other than humans which eat other animals? There are very few vegitarian species compared to carnivores and omnivores. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

02-27-2003, 06:52 PM
I wonder how Jews feel about having the attempted GENOCIDE of their ancestors being trivialized by comparing this tragedy to chickens crammed in a coupe. Where do these PETA people get their nerve? To actually think that harvesting chickens for food is on the same level as the Holocaust proves that the PETA people are not worth the 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back because I've frivalously spent it reading this thread and posting a reply.

Bye the way, I'm not Jewish. However, I would be extremely interested to hear the views of those that are.

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2003, 09:53 PM
San Francisco Chronical

Bill seeks to bar selling cats, dogs for research

Proposed state Assembly measure would apply to animal shelters across
California

Julian Guthrie, Chronicle Staff Writer Tuesday, February 25, 2003

California animal shelters would be prohibited from selling cats and dogs
for medical research or testing under a bill introduced in the state
Assembly.

If passed, California would join 14 other states that bar the giving or
selling of live shelter animals to researchers.

The bill to prohibit "pound seizure" in California was introduced by
Assemblyman Paul Koretz, D-West Hollywood. It is the first legislative
effort in 20 years to stop the statewide sale of adoptable dogs, cats and
other animals to research facilities.

"I think the time is right for this to pass," Koretz said Monday. "Most
lawmakers, over time, have recognized the drawbacks of pound seizure. We've
reached a point where we know that students don't need to do practice
surgery on live animals to be good vets. You don't need to operate on
animals, kill them and throw them away."

Sacramento County operates the only publicly funded animal shelter known to
sell adoptable dogs and cats for research, according to the California
Animal Control Directors' Association. More than 400 dogs and cats are sent
each year to UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. A dozen dogs are sent
to the medical research wing of Sutter Hospital in Sacramento.

UC Davis officials defend the limited use of live animals in teaching.
Sutter declines to say how the animals are used.

The Sacramento shelter, which takes in some 21,000 animals a year and
euthanizes more than half, was the subject of a story in The Chronicle on
Jan. 26.

Koretz, a West Hollywood city councilman for 13 years and author of numerous
animal welfare bills, said The Chronicle story "sharpened the focus" of the
bill, which he had been working on for several months.

The article spotlighted conditions at the Sacramento site and inspired him
to begin putting together an animal welfare task force, he said. He hopes to
work with a diverse array of animal welfare organizations to draft a plan to
improve shelters.

"This wasn't done to target Sacramento," he said of the bill. "It was done
out of fear that with the budget situation as it is, other counties that had
banned the practice would fall back into it, thinking wrongly that this
would produce additional revenue."

He called the turning over of live animals for research a "deplorable
practice that should be eradicated" in our society.

"When the public learns that a family dog or cat may end up as research
fodder, the animals will be abandoned in public instead, creating more work
and increasing the cost of taxpayer-funded animal control," he said.

The bill will probably be heard in policy committee in late March or early
April.

Assembly colleague Mark Leno, who championed animal rights while a member of
the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, supports Koretz's bill.

Leno, D-San Francisco, visited the Sacramento animal shelter in early
February and said he would use his office in any way possible to reduce the
high euthanasia rate and challenge the contract with UC Davis and Sutter. At
the same time, he introduced a resolution that established today as "Spay
Day USA."

snipershot
02-27-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm a meat lover myself, I eat wildmeat,and I love my fried chicken. I understand that it's wrong for animals to be caged in inhuman living conditions and stuff like that, but the killing of chickens for food is very common and I think PETA is making a big deal over a little thing.

They don't seem to understand that killing chickens is part of the food chain, tigers being almost extinct in Africa isn't part of the food chain. They should think more about the issues they choose to stand up for and leave my beloved chickens alone.