PDA

View Full Version : Deals at Vally Forge

bluewolf
02-27-2003, 10:25 AM
I have been wondering if the cues, cue cases,etc there are less expensive than the same product online(ebay excluded). My husband says a friend got this really good deal on an instroke case. When I pinned him down to the price, it was jacked up at vf, so when he went back to get it it would look like it was a deal. It was in fact the same price as it is on hawleys.com minus the shipping cost.

So for those who have been shopping there, what has been your expereince?

Laura

Deeman
02-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Laura,

Good question as I am interested in buying my wife a cue to "save" her destroying one of my better ones. I priced a few around and am interested to find out what I can get them for a VF.

Dee

Rich R.
02-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Just like shopping at your local mall. The informed buyer, is the best shopper.
There are good deals to be had, but not all items for sale are a good deal.

bluewolf
02-27-2003, 11:11 AM
What kind of things are a good deal? Any particular vendors who you particularly liked and who had good deals?

Laura

Popcorn
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
You are not going to get a deal, that would make it worth the trip just to buy a cue. You will be able to see and handle what you are buying before buying it and that has a value. At the end most vendors don't want to pack up everything and bring it back home if they can help it, so they will be open to wheeling and dealing. Most really nice stuff will be gone by then though. It is actually a sellers market. There are so many people looking, that if you don't jump, someone else will buy it and you will miss out. You are competing for the nice stuff so don't count on a deal, at least not on the custom or one of a kind stuff. Shop some of the lesser known cuemakers. There are a lot of guys out there doing nice work and the prices will be more reasonable. You may even discover a future star cuemaker. I bought one of the first cues Gus Szamboti ever made on a recommendation. Played with it for years and never regretted it. Go to the expo website and see who is going to be there so far. If they have a website check it out and do some research before you go. Then you will know a little about the cuemakers ahead of time. Make a list. You may even want to contact some of them that get your interest before hand and tell them you will be there. Then when you come up and introduce yourself you may have a little leg up on getting a deal. I have done this when going to machine expos and usually get the royal treatment when I come up and say "Hi I am so & so we spoke on the phone last week." Last year I saved my wife's family business over $50,000 on some new equipment just by schmoozing. Also, you don't necessarily have to buy at the expo, just form the relationship and you may place an order at a good deal. There is all kinds of ways of doing it.

SpiderMan
02-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Best deals I have ever seen were at BCA Nationals on the last Friday. Year before last one vendor was dumping no-name sneaky petes (real 4-prong with good maple shaft) for $10, including a hard tube case with zipper pouch. I bought a few and re-sold them in Dallas.

SpiderMan

Deeman
02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Popcorn,

Thanks for the good feedback. I just want a cheap fiberglass type cue for her, something like 21 ozs. in black so I might be able to find such an animal in all that stuff they have. I don't need a better one as I am already heavily ivested in "cue futures" as it is!!! Again, thanks for the help and I'll do as you recommend knowing I don't have to buy right then.

Dee

Rich R.
02-27-2003, 12:50 PM
I can't name a particular vendor. It depends what you are looking for.
Some cue makers are there, themselves, selling new cues. There are also dealers selling both new, used and highly collectable cues. The same goes for cases.
There are also many dealers selling all sorts of accessories. It is truly a shopping mall for pool.

For cues and high quality cases, read Popcorn's post. He is pretty much on the target. The top cue makers do not have to discount anything. If you don't buy a cue, some one else will.

For anything else, the best thing you can do, is know exactly what you want and how much, including shipping, you will pay for it somewhere else. Then you will know if it is a good deal.

There is more pool equipment and supplies there than you can believe, but it is not a flee market. You may find some good deals, but I don't think you will find great deals.