PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Table

Rod
03-18-2002, 07:40 PM
In another thread I mentioned how disappointing it was to play on a table with f/fries, mustard and katsup- on the balls! Well lets say they were real dirty and it probably come from someone eating and playing pool at the same time.

Whats the worst table you ever played on?

For me it was during league play at a bar and we were the visitors. First mistake-league, second-bar tables.
After we arrived a guy at that joint was brushing the 2 tables. That's good but the chalk dust was billowing up from each table. They hadn't been cleaned since Shep was a pup. Shep is 12 now. The balls felt like they had been in a severe sand storm. Get the picture? I noticed that any cut shot pushed the o/b off line and was it lucky to go in the pocket. I then shot one slow and the c/b climbed up on the o/b, sending it off line and the c/b dropped back on the table at a completely angle. If you've ever watched open wheel or Indy cars race when they touch wheels, they go flying! It was the same effect with the pool balls. All I can say is WOW, never seen that before. I told the team to shoot firm and use a little english to offset the throw or cling effect. BTW the bar had every resemblance of the tables. I wasn't sure it was safe to have a beer out of a sealed bottle, and drink out of a glass at your own risk.
Needless to say we kicked their ass, and got the hell out of there in short order. As a joke I said to our guys, want to stay around, have a drink and play for a while? Not funy I can assure you. We had to play that team one more time at their place, you can imagine what a thrill that was.
I have gambled in places along the same line(years ago) but I don't recall tables that bad! Well once when the cloth was torn up, that was an obstacle course! Shall we include that with the phrase, "everyone plays under the same conditions"
BTW as a foot note, I think the chalk was leaded then!!

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2002, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> In another thread I mentioned how disappointing it was to play on a table with f/fries, mustard and katsup- on the balls! Well lets say they were real dirty and it probably come from someone eating and playing pool at the same time.

Whats the worst table you ever played on?

<hr></blockquote>

When we were in the keys last year we stopped in a little roadhouse. we played a few games and the 2 tables had huge water stains on them and rolled off about 2 or 3 inches. Some guy said "Yeah they've been in pretty bad shape since the hurricane" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

03-19-2002, 12:02 PM
How about duct tape over a tear in the cloth.

Kato
03-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Which place in the Keys?

Kato~~~done shot pool in the few places I could find a table down yonder.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2002, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Which place in the Keys?

Kato~~~done shot pool in the few places I could find a table down yonder. <hr></blockquote>

It was on Big Pine Key. On the main road. Can't remember the name but I think there's only 2 bars on that island.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2002, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Which place in the Keys?

Kato~~~done shot pool in the few places I could find a table down yonder. <hr></blockquote>

How about Captain Anne's? Does that ring a bell? Found that on Yahoo. It's the only bar listed on Big Pine but I think there's at least one more.