PDA

View Full Version : Cue Markup

dooziexx
02-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Anyone knows what the markup is for cues? Most internet pool stores usually sell their cues about 20% off the msrp. For example, a Schon STL-1 has an msrp of $595 and most internet stores sell it for around $475. Any idea how much profit does the store make on a cue?

02-27-2003, 01:32 PM
dear sir, how about I tell you that when you buy a nice diamond ring the profit markup is 1000%, or a ford explorer they make l5 grand. It would do no good to tell you what our cost is on cues, we have to pay the freight in & out, we get in a lot of bad stuff, you guys return a lot of bogus stuff we eat, you go to shows & people steal stuff from you, all of this goes into the markup. I can tell you this, you must know the actual list price, then if you are getting 20-25% off you are doing OK, I have explained this in the post how to buy a cue, if you read that, you would not be writing this now. Some table dealers are bad about telling a table cheap, then getting it back on accessories, grocery stores do the same thing, give away the milk & break, then nail you on the cereal & potato chips. It's all a big game. Table dealers, not all but some will take a cue with a list of $100 & then remark it up to $200 & then give you 25%off. You see the same thing in the shopping malls every day. So finding out what the true selling price for a cue is can be done, but some work has to be put into it. Go into Ebay, there are 3000 cues for sale now, mostly by dealeres. Track the cue you want & see what it goes for. A educated buyer, is a smart buyer. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger

dooziexx
02-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Larry,
The reason I asked my questions is because Im thinking of getting into the cue dealing business. I just wanted to know how much profit one makes on a cue despite selling the cue at 20-25% off the msrp. It would help me decide if I should do this or pursue other avenues.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Depending on the brand, cue wholesale price is 50% to 60% of MSRP, from what I have seen. I think Meucci and Viking are on the high end of this.

Popcorn
02-27-2003, 03:05 PM
I buy cues for around 50 to 55% off suggested retail. The thing is the suggested retail you see may not be from the dealer but an arbitrary price the retailer has created to make it appear like a better deal. Many poolrooms will sell cues at cost to customers. A good customer may easily spend $50.00 to $80.00 a week. Far more value then the few bucks they may make off the sale of a cue. They look to please the patron.

Predator314
02-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Are these internet dealers buying direct from Schon, Viking, Predator, etc. or is there a middle man involved.

I emailed some companies a few months back and they won't even talk to you unless you have an actual storefront.

Vicki
02-27-2003, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> I can tell you this, you must know the actual list price, then if you are getting 20-25% off you are doing OK, I have explained this in the post how to buy a cue, if you read that, you would not be writing this now. <hr /></blockquote>

Who the f*** can read your posts??!! It causes my eyes to cross and my head to throb in pain if I attempt one of your ramblings!!! In my opinion, you are a negative presence on the CCB and have been since you started posting here. People are entitled to ask their questions and should not be chastised for doing so! If you don't want to give him the information then don't respond to his question! Maybe he didn't consider your word to be the gospel on how to buy cues and wanted other opinions. Good lord, could you give us a rest?!

Vicki

Vicki
02-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Dooziexx,

I have no idea of the mark up on production cues. But...

When I began to think about a new career I started meeting people in the industry I wanted to work in. I met and talked to several people and found a couple who were eager to tell me about themselves. I asked permission to ask questions, tried to be very considerate of their time, and thanked them for their help. I got a lot of valuable information and ended up in real estate.

You might want to consider going to the Hopkins Expo next month or to a major pro event where there are dealers/retailers. Talk to a few people and find someone who is doing what you want to be doing. Ask him/her if you can hang out with them for an hour or two and watch them work. Ask permission to ask a few questions and see what you can find out. I know a few dealers and they are very nice. PM me if you are coming to Valley Forge and I will see if I can arrange a couple of introductions.

Vicki

SpiderMan
02-27-2003, 04:25 PM
I sold Palmer, Adam, and Mali cues back in the late 1970s, and they gave me half off the published MSRPs (plus or minus 10%, depending on brand) for small quantity orders.

If you're getting 25% off from a dealer, it's a good deal for both of you. He has expenses associated with what he's doing. For example, when I sold cues I assumed the risks of being the middleman charged with resolving any problems when the merchandise arrived. And I had to make something for my time and for the relationships I had established.

I was just taking orders from local players and buying 3 or 4 cues at a time, so I couldn't negotiate any large-volume discounts.

There are several guys here in Dallas still running "drivearound dealerships" for various cue brands.

SpiderMan

woody_968
02-27-2003, 06:19 PM
I had a small shop in a pool room I used to run tournaments in at one time, I dont remember the actual percentages I used but I can tell you a few things I learned.
I made the best profits off of the cheaper cues, I sold alot of J and J cues, and Player's cues. I carried Meucci, Mcdermott, Falcon and some others, but the well known brands are very agressivly shopped and hard to make a really good profit on.
As an example I will use small numbers to make it easy, say you wanted to have $500 in cue inventory. You could have 2 maybe 3 Meucci cues and hope to make $50 profit on a $200 (dealer cost) cue. Or you could have 10 $50 (dealer cost) cues on hand, and sell them for $75 each and make more off of your investment. Beleive me you will sell more of the $75 cues, and if they stay with the game they will come back when they are ready for a better cue.
I also made very good profits off of towels, key chains, tip shapers and all the fun stuff we all like to mess with.
So just keep in mind that while we all like to have nice cues now, most of us started with a cheaper cue to see if we would stay with it, and thats where the profits are for a small shop.

landshark1002000
02-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Hi Vicki:
LOL-- How many f***ing houses you sell in Maryland?

--Ted in Phoenix

P.S. Wipe your feet. You're gettin' Fast Larry all over the rug.

Next time you stop into your anger management class slap the instructor. -- It ain't workin' for ya.

dg-in-centralpa
02-28-2003, 07:21 AM
I used to own 2 record,cd, and tape stores here in Central PA. My mark up on a cd was very minimal. At that time, if a cd had a $15.99 list price, my price thru a middle man was $11.55 not counting freight,and the time it sat on the shelf. I could make some extra money on the cd's when the middle man ran sales. My profits came from blank tapes, used records, and various other items. I imagine cues would be the same way, about 25 - 30% mark up.If you decide to do Ebay, watch what sells and what price. Then you'll know what to buy. Good Luck!

Sid_Vicious
02-28-2003, 09:18 AM
LS...I fail to see where you made any improvement on the situation. I thought Vicki encapsulated the emotions fairly well, especially with the description of eyes crossing and head hurting. But in the end I see a retaliation like yours as adding to "the pile." sid