PDA

View Full Version : confused by scenario

c.holtz009
02-27-2003, 09:23 PM
I don't know if this has been covered before, with me being relatively new to the board, but here goes...

In a game of 8-ball under BCA rules, with the point scoring system of 1 point for each ball of your group pocketed, and 3 points for the eight ball, and the win, player A breaks, and sinks 2 stripes. On his next shot, he attempts to pocket a stripe, but misses and accidentally pockets the 8-ball. Now, player B automatically gets the win, but how would you score that? 10 - 0 because the groups were not denoted, or 10 - 2 because of the balls pocketed on the break?
Personally I think it should be a 10 - 0 win for player B, but there were a lot of mixed opinions on the situation in league tonight.
How about if one of each was made on the break? 10-0 or 10-1? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I figured the people here would be more knowlegable on this than we are here.
Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanx!!
Oh, BTW, our league moderator said to score it 10-0.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Adding insult to injury.. is never a good thing.

If you make the 8 ball and while doing so, you pocket two of your opponents balls.. do they count? yes they do.. I wonder Why?

The BCA isn't the final authority on any rules except the ones they sell you.. ever notice that they sell the same rule book every year?

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of the BCA?

c.holtz009
02-27-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if you understood my post. I mean, immediately following the break, when the table is still open.
I just think it's a wierd situation, and need some input.
Thanks!!

02-27-2003, 11:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> I don't know if this has been covered before, with me being relatively new to the board, but here goes...

In a game of 8-ball under BCA rules, with the point scoring system of 1 point for each ball of your group pocketed, and 3 points for the eight ball, and the win, player A breaks, and sinks 2 stripes. On his next shot, he attempts to pocket a stripe, but misses and accidentally pockets the 8-ball. Now, player B automatically gets the win, but how would you score that? 10 - 0 because the groups were not denoted, or 10 - 2 because of the balls pocketed on the break?
Personally I think it should be a 10 - 0 win for player B, but there were a lot of mixed opinions on the situation in league tonight.
How about if one of each was made on the break? 10-0 or 10-1? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I figured the people here would be more knowlegable on this than we are here.
Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanx!!
Oh, BTW, our league moderator said to score it 10-0. <hr /></blockquote>

i'll award the score 10-0 and here's why:

in the latest bca book, 8-ball rule 4.9 "open table" it says..."when the table is open and the 8 ball is the first contacted, it is a foul and no stripe or solid may be scored..."

yes, i understand that your case does not have him hitting the 8 first when the balls fell but it is a close as i can find in the book and it establishes the principal that balls put in holes do not count for anybody till someone get's a suit (stripes or solids.)

further, the argument that the 2 down balls count for the loser is just as valid that they count for the winner. clearly, the rule i've cited is good on the point that you can't get points "scored in favor of.." till someone intentionally pockets a ball. didn't happen. 10-0.

dan

Irish
02-27-2003, 11:06 PM
It is a 10-0. Even if the player made the stripe and the 8-ball went in as well it is still a 10-0 since you must make a legal pot in order to become stripes or solids (and in your situation or one with the stripe being potted that never happend)

c.holtz009
02-28-2003, 06:15 AM
I couldn't agree more. No legal pot made, no points. However, the guys here still argue that the loser should get the points for the balls down. I guess they're just desperate for points when they play us. And we still had to spot them 16 points a round!!!