PDA

View Full Version : What type of cue balls...

Predator314
02-28-2003, 11:01 AM
What type of cue balls do you all use either in your home or in your leagues, pool halls, etc?

The Moose Lodge where I play uses the Red Circle cue balls and treat them like gold. They lock them up until tournament nights and use some standard cue ball that sucks. I'm buying a red circle to practice with so I can practice with the same cue ball as what they use during competition.

I was just wondering what everyone else was using.

Fred Agnir
02-28-2003, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I was just wondering what everyone else was using. <hr /></blockquote>

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_uimages/Cueballs.jpg

Take your pick.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
02-28-2003, 12:36 PM
I bought a red circle for home a good 4-5 years ago, and packed it along in the big pouch for a while when going to tournaments in smaller venues. I actually hit with both the "stock" CB that came with my Belgiums and also with the red circle, that is when I'm just slappin' balls around, not seriously practicing...sid

Predator314
02-28-2003, 12:55 PM
There's one cue ball at the lodge that's smaller than the rest. I think it's a magnetic cue ball. That bad boy is dangerous. You can look at it funny and the thing will draw back a foot.

SharpCat
02-28-2003, 04:44 PM
There is one bar in are league that has a cue ball that is noticeably bigger the object balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I hate that ball with a passion. It is so big and heavy it's hard to move it around the table. It's terrible. If I never play another league match in that bar again It will be fine with. The only good thing is we only play there once a session. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
03-01-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi there,
In this months issue of "Billiards Digest", there is an article by Mike Sigel entitled "The Big Grapefruit"on page 18 describing the different cueballs-the one you mentioned just happens to be"The Big Grapefruit"-the article states that "this cueball is "an animal altogether!":)This cueball requires follow all the time,stopshots OK,and drawing from afar is difficult!"
Carol

SharpCat
03-01-2003, 10:12 PM
The Big Grapefruit is right. It is easy to follow but trying to draw this beast is a pain in the ass at best. Luckily we have not played there yet.

L.S. Dennis
03-02-2003, 12:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> There's one cue ball at the lodge that's smaller than the rest. I think it's a magnetic cue ball. That bad boy is dangerous. You can look at it funny and the thing will draw back a foot. <hr /></blockquote>

If you want to try something that will enable you draw the cue ball like Mike Massey try squirting the balls (cue ball included) with a little silicone spray just before your league begins it's play. You won't beleive the results!

CarolNYC
03-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Yes,yes,Definitely a "BEAST":)
I wish you good luck when you do play there!
Carol:)

SharpCat
03-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Talk about home field advantage. I think i'll make a suggestion that they retire the beast.

Chris in NC
03-02-2003, 01:35 PM
IMO the 3 top cue balls that good players prefer (not in any particular order) would be the red circle ball, the blue circle ball that comes with Brunswick Centennial sets, and the Saluc logo ball that comes with the Aramith Super Pro sets. Personally, I can see little difference between the blue circle cue ball and the Saluc logo cue ball. - Chris in NC

CarolNYC
03-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Hey there,
How about walking in with your "OWN" weighted bar table cueball? Would they allow that?ha ha ha
Carol:)

ras314
03-02-2003, 04:46 PM
I have done just that. Carry a Valley magnetic cb most of the time. Amazing how few people (drunks?) even notice! One place with bar tournaments has three tables, all with different size cb. Real fun when you have to play on all three.