PDA

View Full Version : Niciknames and monikers

L.S. Dennis
02-28-2003, 03:50 PM
A while back this topic was touched upon but I feel the need to address it again.

I beleive this proliferation of 'manufactured' nicknames in the pro ranks of pool is getting a little ridicules and bordering on the absurd! Since when is it that every player who plays in pro tournaments has to awarded a pool nickname?

Prabaly the most silly sounding ones are the ones that were awarded to the women players. Please don't get me wrong I think the women players are wonderful and play great but don't you think that names like 'Robin Bankroll Bell, or the Texas Tornado or The Dutchess of Doom sound more than a little forced? I certainly do! I feel this way about many of the mens acquired monikers as well.

I think somewhere in one of 'Fast Larry's' posts he mentioned that these nicknames at one time had to be earned and only given by other player as a form of respect. I agree with him totally on that.

Some of these names I can live with such as Larry Hubbard's 'The Iceman name or the Black widow on the female side of things but Nick Varner's 'The Kentucky Colonel? Pass me another chicken wing!

Fran Crimi
02-28-2003, 06:45 PM
I couldn't agree more, Dennis. Some of those names really do sound forced. On the other hand, it's a lot better than some of the names people come by because of physical or personality traits, like Jimmy the wig (wears a toupee) or Joey fingers (lost one finger). Haha! I don't know which would be worse.

Fran

JohnnyP
02-28-2003, 07:23 PM
There was one guy in Norfolk I remember that they called "Onion Head Red".

snipershot
02-28-2003, 10:03 PM
I agree that alot of nicknames sound "forced", I happen to disagree on Nick Varners nickname " The Kentucky Colonel " being bad, I like the sounds of it. Nick Varner is too good of a player to not have a nickname, so my question to you L.S. Dennis is what nickname do you think Varner should have?

Scott Lee
02-28-2003, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> A while back this topic was touched upon but I feel the need to address it again.

I beleive this proliferation of 'manufactured' nicknames in the pro ranks of pool is getting a little ridicules and bordering on the absurd! Since when is it that every player who plays in pro tournaments has to awarded a pool nickname?

Some of these names I can live with such as Larry Hubbard's 'The Iceman name or the Black widow on the female side of things but Nick Varner's 'The Kentucky Colonel? Pass me another chicken wing! <hr /></blockquote>

I agree! What's even worse is stealing one from another player. Larry Hubbart IS The Iceman...Mika Immonen is not!
Now, the way I understand it, Mika did not pick that name.
None the less, he should refuse to use it...at least as long as Larry is still alive, out of respect! Long live Larry! LOL The APA has been good for him, and he has been good for pool!

Scott Lee

Popcorn
02-28-2003, 10:57 PM
His natural name would be "Little Nick" His poolroom name may be something like "Nick the Hick" Poolroom nick names tend to be not all that polite. Ewa would probably be "the Swede" and Allison would be "Fish" or "Limey." I won't even speculate on Karen Corr. I will say, my wife once drove a car in a demolition derby that had painted on the side "Big Tit Special" so you see what I mean.

L.S. Dennis
03-01-2003, 01:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I agree that alot of nicknames sound "forced", I happen to disagree on Nick Varners nickname " The Kentucky Colonel " being bad, I like the sounds of it. Nick Varner is too good of a player to not have a nickname, so my question to you L.S. Dennis is what nickname do you think Varner should have? <hr /></blockquote>

L.S. Dennis
03-01-2003, 01:20 AM
You're right Nick Varner is a great player who has certainly won the respect of his peers. What should his nickname be if he absolutely had to have one? Good question if I'm not mistaken the one he had before this new handle was hung on him was "Cool Hand", maybe he just should have kept that one!

I absolutely agree with you about Larry Hubbard being 'The Iceman' and not Mika Immonen. Very poor taste on Immonen's part for allowing this to go on for as long as it has!

Rich R.
03-01-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> I agree! What's even worse is stealing one from another player. Larry Hubbart IS The Iceman...Mika Immonen is not!
Now, the way I understand it, Mika did not pick that name.
None the less, he should refuse to use it...at least as long as Larry is still alive, out of respect! Long live Larry! LOL The APA has been good for him, and he has been good for pool!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
I agree totally Scott. If you want to use a nickname, whether given to you by some one else or manufactured by yourself, at least make it original.

BTW, Lou Butera is "Machine Gun", Luc Salvas is not.

Ken
03-01-2003, 07:29 AM
The "Sandman" because he will put you to sleep waiting for him to shoot.
KenCT

L.S. Dennis
03-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Rich,

I forgot about the Lou Butera also being called 'Machine Gun' and not Luc Salvas. These players shouldn't be using other people's nicknames regardless if someone else gave it to them or not. Have these players no shame or self respect?

snipershot
03-01-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> You're right Nick Varner is a great player who has certainly won the respect of his peers. What should his nickname be if he absolutely had to have one? Good question if I'm not mistaken the one he had before this new handle was hung on him was "Cool Hand", maybe he just should have kept that one!

<hr /></blockquote>

If he couldn't be called "The Kentucky Colonel", I could settle with him being called "Cool Hand"

smfsrca
03-01-2003, 01:52 PM
I don't see where the idea of a nickname as a mark of respect ever came from. Nicknames are something given typically as a mark of some personality or style trait (not always good) which makes them easier to remember when they are less well known. Once they achieve the status of a champion the nickname is no longer needed and is frequently dropped. A champions measure of respect is evoked by referring to the champion by his full name. LutherLassiter, WillieMosconi, WelkerCochran, WillieHoppe, NickVarner, EffrenReyes. Whether any of these champions had or has a nickname is merely a point of conversation. Any nickname they did have was quite likely acquired long before they became champions.
Steve in CA

L.S. Dennis
03-01-2003, 04:45 PM
I mostly agree with you in that these nicknames are not necessary. If you'll refer back to my initial post that's more or less what I'm saying, that is that these names are given out much too freely.

If given they need to have some kind of a mystic about them and not have the feeling of being forced upon just for the sake of everyone having one!

smfsrca
03-01-2003, 05:03 PM
I think the primary purpose of nicknames nowadays is to give Steve Tipton something clever to say when he introduces the players on ESPN. When you do it enough the unsuspecting non-pool savvie public expects the players to have intriguing nicknames and the more the names evoke images of the seedy side of our sport/game the better they seem to like it.

SPetty
03-01-2003, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> If you want to use a nickname, whether given to you by some one else or manufactured by yourself, at least make it original.<hr /></blockquote>Well, hopefully, one of these days, you'll hear of "Steady SPetty"! hahahaha That's what I'm going for...

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Rich,

Luc Salvas may not be the real "Machine Gun", but you have to admit.. he's the current day "quick shooter" Compared to Charlie Williams.. Luc is the "FLASH"

Troy
03-01-2003, 10:11 PM
A few of my local favorites, in no particular order --
"Bucktooth" - obvious
"Scarecrow" - obvious
"Chicken" - obvious
Al the Plumber - also obvious
"San Jose Bear" - 'cuz he's that big
"Hollywood" Harry - attitude maybe ? (3C player, '80's)
"Baby" Frank - attitude maybe ?
Memo - 'cuz he worked at "Memo"rex
"Lettuce" Larry - Produce guy ?

and my real favorite -

Diaper George - 'cuz he's always crying like a baby about something..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And he's a Pro caliber player.

Troy

Gerry
03-02-2003, 06:55 AM
I agree, the nickname thing while introducing the players is weak!. Unless the nickname is cool and fits, not like a publicity ploy or WWF intro. At the room I worked in we all had nicks...check out this link.

http://www.thebilliardstour.com/locals.html

Where i grew up EVERYONE had a "Label" and the guy that put it on you is the only one who got to change it!. Mine was Guido,(I looked Italian, I'm 1/2) some of my friends were Phil the dill(girlfriend thing), Duh-Duh(last name was DiaDezzio) everyone butchered his name, Joey bags(every neighborhood had one), Jackass(last name Jackman, what else could it be!), Ant (short for Anthony) Scottykins ( his granny called him that once in front of us all, she never re-labeled him!)Ibba (Jim got real drunk one nite and thats all he kept saying) and on and on, shoot!... come to think of it even the girls had nicks, but we can't go there on here:)....Gerry

NH_Steve
03-02-2003, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> A few of my local favorites, in no particular order --

"Chicken" - obvious

Troy <hr /></blockquote>Would that be the same as "Chicken Man" Bill Dunsmore from Massachussetts?

Rich R.
03-02-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Rich,

Luc Salvas may not be the real "Machine Gun", but you have to admit.. he's the current day "quick shooter" Compared to Charlie Williams.. Luc is the "FLASH"
<hr /></blockquote>
Tom, I just don't think that current players should be allowed to assume the nicknames of players from the past.
Now, concerning Charlie Williams, growing grass could be considered the flash, compared to Charlie.
Charlie plays fast on TV matches. I don't know why he has to slow down so dramaticly on other matches.

Troy
03-02-2003, 08:22 AM
No Steve, the "Chicken" I mentioned is a local NorCal player.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> A few of my local favorites, in no particular order --

"Chicken" - obvious

Troy <hr /></blockquote>Would that be the same as "Chicken Man" Bill Dunsmore from Massachussetts? <hr /></blockquote>

Ken
03-02-2003, 08:31 AM
Rich, I think it's just a big ego. The first time I saw him at Turning Stone I thought "This guy doesn't play that slow". Then I saw him play Ginky and when it was his turn he had to apply two different substances to his bridge hand and rub down his cue. Then he would make a big show of getting down on the shot and then get back up over and over and over up to ten times so it seemed. This was clearly just his idea of a big show. I couldn't watch and had to walk away.

As people walked away after the match they were disgusted and he set the tournament timetable back nearly an hour. I was so disgusted I just drove home without watching any of the other several matches he played. I feel sorry for the people who stayed to watch the end of that tournament.

He can play quite fast if he wants to. I think he's improved some but I will still boycott any event that he or the UPA is involved in. I doubt that I will go to the Patriot Cup this year if there is one (and I have heard little about it).
KenCT

L.S. Dennis
03-02-2003, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Rich,

<hr /></blockquote>
Tom, I just don't think that current players should be allowed to assume the nicknames of players from the past.
Now, concerning Charlie Williams, growing grass could be considered the flash, compared to Charlie.
Charlie plays fast on TV matches. I don't know why he has to slow down so dramaticly on other matches. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich, again you're absolutely right about these people who "steal" or at the very least allow this these names to be used for them knowing full well and good that the names belong to other players! Mika Immonen and Luc Salva, SHAME ON YOU.

I wonder how Lou Butera and Larry Hubbard think feel about this?

Rich R.
03-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Ken, last year I had the agony of watching a match between Charlie and Archer. Grass growing would have been exciting, in comparison to that match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

#### leonard
03-02-2003, 01:13 PM
The best game of pool I ever witnessed was between Larry Hubbart and Dick McConnell of North Adams Mass. My road partner. It took place at the Holiday Bowl in Syracuse,NY. I had won the tourney and Larry wanted to play me a game for $200. Dick had lost his first two games in the Tourney and was antsy to play. He begged me, come on let me play him ok Dick you play him. 150 points for 200 with the score 39 to 31 Larry runs 107 and missed. Dick got to the table and ran 98 back on him. He missed the breakshot but left Larry only one tough shot. Larry went over the opened balls trying to find a shot but couldn't finally he tried the shot missed and Dick ran 21 and out the win the game. It was a great ride home from Syracuse.####