PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a Predator shaft?

woody_968
03-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Predator shafts are popular in my area and have considered trying one so I would like to hear from some people that have played with them.
I read some of the posts on them warping so I really dont want to get that going again, just simply if you felt it played any better than the shaft that came with your cue.
Thanks.

Rich R.
03-01-2003, 11:32 AM
You can search the archives and find many discussions on the Predator shafts.
The bottom line is, some people like them and some people don't. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground on that subject.

03-01-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Predator shafts are popular in my area and have considered trying one so I would like to hear from some people that have played with them.
I read some of the posts on them warping so I really dont want to get that going again, just simply if you felt it played any better than the shaft that came with your cue.
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

i use pred cues. as a matter of fact, i've got 3 spw cues which are the cheapest they make. wood to wood joints, look a lot like house cues.

warping: the thread you saw got going cause it's almost, but not quite, unheard of for preds to warp. since it's a spliced construction it tends to be more stable than a single piece of wood.

i tried a couple of preds,years ago, and didn't think much of them. short trials, just a few shots, maybe a rack or two. it wasn't till i got to spend an evening with one that i started to understand it. it is different.

one interesting way to test it is to shoot some long hard (high speed) shots with spin. you'll probably start out overcompensating for the effect of the english if you're very experienced. try some power draws.

the things are not magic. they are very dependable and consistant shooting tools. a lot of people, maybe most, stick a pred shaft on their favorite butt. some people, including a lot of pros use 'em without the cat/314 decal.

the only way you'll know is to give one a good solid workout. by the way, the pred butts are somewhat narrower than most others which i like fine but some don't.

good luck

dan

Ward
03-01-2003, 12:01 PM
I with Dan on the pred shafts. I use them on my cue and like them a lot. It does take some time to get adjusted.

later

dg-in-centralpa
03-01-2003, 12:57 PM
I bought a Predator 4 years ago and don't regret it. I have a Pred shaft for my Meucci, and my pred shafts fit on my Richard Black, which is what I shoot with all the time. My original Predator became my break stick.

woody_968
03-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Its funny you mention Predators have a more narrow butt, I have small hands and like smaller butts (no punn intended).
Im currently playing a bludworth and like it, but just not totally satisfied.
I may consider ordering a cue from them instead of just the shaft if I dont find a butt I want to put it on. I want to go back to a steel joint, and dont want to be limited by the thread configuration or I would try one on my bludworth.
Thanks for the reply's

bluewolf
03-01-2003, 01:45 PM
I have not tried as many different cues and shafts as some people on here. I have a sneakypete spw and a predator bk, break cue. I think they are both fine, they shoot well and the bk breaks well. I think the good breaking and decreased deflection has something to do with the way the shaft is designed, or at least, that is what I have heard.

Laura

smfsrca
03-01-2003, 02:07 PM
I can only speak from my own experience.
I've had 8 shafts in as many years.
3 of them Predators.
All of my Predators hit exactly the same.
None of the other 5 hit exactly the same.
The Predators are at least as good as any of the others.
A friend of mine has a custom made shaft I like better than all of mine, but have never found one as good.
The Predators seem a little bit pricey, but not any more so then say, a shaft custom made by a well known cue maker.