PDA

View Full Version : College sports rivalries

Kato
03-01-2003, 04:04 PM
I'm watching Texas/Texas Tech slug it out right now on T.V. and was wondering. Who is your college teams biggest rivals in specific sports and how do you feel about the rival team. For instance. I'm a UM football fanatic and our big rival is FSU. There is an excitement over that game and an awful hot of hatred and heated trash talking amongst fans. In basketball as a huge Maryland Terp fan our big rival would have to be Duke but I don't live there so I don't know the feelings. I get so super amped over that game though it's tough to control myself.

R.J.

snipershot
03-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Kato,
I'm a huge fan of college sports more specifically college basketball. I love March Madness, it's almost time! My favorite team is North Carolina (M.J. and Vince Carter how can you go wrong).

I watched the Texas/Texas Tech game today and was glad to see Bobby Knight and Texas Tech lose. As for a good college rivalry, there was a game on several weeks ago I don't know if you saw it. It was between Michigan State University and the Michigan Wolverines, it had alot of anticipation leading up to it and it turned out to be a very exciting game. The Wolverines were considered the underdogs but came in on a serious hot streak and defeated MSU, the crowd was on its feet the whole time shooting and I had my T.V. cranked so it felt like I was actually at the game. This rivalry has since been one of my favorites.

I assume you'll be watching the March Madness, who do you think will win it this year?

Kato
03-01-2003, 10:08 PM
March Maddness is without a doubt my favorite spectacal in sports. Sniper, I'm a big Maryland hoop fan but the best team I've seen this year is Kentucky. I haven't seen Arizona play yet this year but I assume they are the real deal. I've seen Kansas play and like them but one of their better players was hurt today. Florida, Marquette, and Oklahoma as well. Memphis is a nice sleeper team. Texas has a beautiful backcourt combo with Mouton and Ford.

Nobody plays defense like Kentucky and Tubby Smith has his guys playing great. Some team is gonna have to stand on their heads to beat 'em.

Kato~~~~will talk college basketball for hours

Troy
03-01-2003, 10:27 PM
A perennial rivalry is College Basketball's Arizona Wildcats vs Stanford Cardinal.

Go 'Cats..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warren_Lushia
03-02-2003, 02:22 AM
its hard to come up with a good traditional rival for kentucky in college basketball, as we have nothing like duke/north carolina. louisville is an instate rival and always an exciting game. it occurs so early it often means little though. we have SEC rivals, but more often than not its just the team that happens to be good for a few years in a row, ala arkansas. of course with tubby smith there is the georgia connection, and with billy donovan there is the florida connection. i guess tennessee would be a traditional rival cause of its proximity. duke is a rival cause of some very memorable ncaa tourney games -- i mean even if ya hate the teams, who doesn't want to see duke/kentucky match up come march?!

i've been lucky enough to be at UK during three national championship games, and two titles. i've also been to rupp arena many times as you might imagine, but lately i seem to prefer to watch the games on tv for the most part (the rupp crowd can be boring).

i'm generally pretty knowledgable about the college basketball scene, but i moved my tv into my girlfriend's apartment in november, so i haven't really seen anyone outside of kentucky play (luckily i can USUALLY talk her into letting me watch those games /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif i still follow the scene, but only from the internet, so i am out of it this year.

as for football, well, we suck. LOL. except for the tim couch years, its usually mediocre at best. funny thing is, i can see commonwealth stadium out my window as i sit here and type this /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, no kidding. of course i root for them, but man they are frustrating to watch!!

warren..

Ward
03-02-2003, 11:20 AM
TX/OU played in Dallas at the old Cotton Bowl in the center of the Texas State Fair. Great setting, fan base split down the middle...

snipershot
03-02-2003, 12:09 PM
March Madness is one of the best spectacals in sports, maybe not as big as the World Series but it's up there. I haven't seen Kentucky play yet but I have seen Arizona and they do look like the team to beat. If they stay healthy I might have to put my money on them, that is assuming North Carolina doesn't win the whole thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perk
03-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Michigan Vs Ohio State Football!!!!

<--very much so biased. Even the Mich/Mich St game is a huge rivalry.

GO BLUE!