PDA

View Full Version : For those who like to clean.....

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Okay, I've quit smoking for exactly one week today and figured it was a good time to start really getting that smoke off the drop panel ceiling. I've got my bucket, my mop, music going, and a drink nearby, now I just need to find a better way to clean!!! LOL I started using my Swiffer Wet, but that's a pain in the shoulders!!! Any suggestions??

Heide ~ spring cleaning a little early

Kato
03-01-2003, 04:35 PM
How about buying a new house? No? I'm afraid I've no answers.

Kato~~~~10 days free of smoke.

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Oh sure, a new house? That's a good idea. You fronting the dough? hahahahahaha

You're no help, LOL.

Heide

Kato
03-01-2003, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>You're no help, LOL.<hr /></blockquote>

I coulda told you that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~sometimes of help, mostly of little help, and in this instance absolutely no help /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>You're no help, LOL.<hr /></blockquote>

I coulda told you that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~sometimes of help, mostly of little help, and in this instance absolutely no help /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I take it back. You are the one who helped me quit in the first place. So I guess I should be upset because now I have to clean up all the smoke. If I hadn't quit, I wouldn't have to clean, LOL.

Heide ~ would rather be cleaning up smoke residue than inhaling it

Kato
03-01-2003, 05:39 PM
I would come up and help you clean but I'm gonna go drink beer and play pool with Rackmup tomorrow. So sorry /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I would come up and help you clean but I'm gonna go drink beer and play pool with Rackmup tomorrow. So sorry /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, right. You're real sorry /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I'm not looking for physical help, that part I can do for myself, thank you. Please have a beer for me, a half of one for Chris, and tell Ken we said hello.

Heide

Jon from MN
03-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Try using vinegar dilute it of course it works for me. Jon never cleans it works for my wife.~~Jon from mn~~

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I'll try anything at this point. I gave up for the night, too dark and the room is just too big to do in one day.

At least you were helpful, LOL.

Heide

Gayle in MD
03-02-2003, 05:41 AM
Hi Heidi,
So what is this surface made of? You called it a panel, is it wood panel? If it is, try the spray Clean &amp; Shine. It works great on Wood.

Gayle in Md.

Karatemom
03-02-2003, 08:03 AM
It's more like pressed particle board. I think I'll have to just get the ladder out and do some old fashioned scrubbing. Got nothing better to do these days, LOL.

Heide

Barbara
03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Heide,

To start cleaning up to get rid of cigarette smoke odors, I would recommend having all the fabrics in your living areas cleaned. I'm talking drapes, seating fabrics, rugs, etc. That's where the smoke smell is.

Here's a little cleaning story of mine that'll make your shoulders wince in pain. When it was decided that I could take over half the basement for my pool room and we had a laminated beam installed to take the place of two floor supports, I realized that the exposed floor joists and floor base of the above kitchen/dining room had to be cleaned. There used to be a coal furnace in our 80-yr old house, and the exposed wood was filthy dirty from the coal dust. So I took a day off and had three buckets of water - one to wipe clean, one to rinse clean, and another to re-rinse. I scrubbed the wood by hand for the first time and went through 5 major scrubby sponges - you know, the ones with sponge sandwiched between green scrubby stuff. And I thought I got it all on the first pass, but no. I went back to the starting point and when I rinsed the scrubby in the first bucket, there was more coal dust to be taken off. Ugh. Just plain ugh. But I thought that I had to do it right the first time since this would never be done again, so I stayed home a second day repeated.

My shoulders and arms were so sore for the next week, I couldn't have played pool if I wanted to. But the rewards were worth it. We have southern yellow pine throughout this house and the wood came out beautifully. It has a patina on it that is just lovely. Plus, it's clean!

It may take some work, but every now and then you know you have to do a deep clean to get it right, and the pain eventually goes away.

Barbara~~~I don't just clean, I declare chemical warfare!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
03-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Gee, I remember when I used to be able to clean like that, lol. If I did that now, I'd end up in traction. I have to paint one wall, then wait three days, and paint another wall.

Anyway, if the particle board has a wood look that has a sheen, you might try good old Fantastic spray cleaner. That really works great, but check a small area first. I was cleaning my Mother's range hood the other day, and I know it hadn't been cleaned in ages, she's eighty three, and I couldn't beleive how great it worked. Didn't even have to scrub!

Gayle in Md, turning into an old T##D /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
03-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Hey Heide,

You can't go wrong with Simple Green. Great stuff, biodegradable and cleans anything. I use it all the time here. Real good on bird poop. LOL

Fran

Troy
03-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Bingo !!! I've been recommending Simple Green® diluted for cleaning cue shafts, but we also uses it around the house for many other cleaning chores. Great stuff.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Hey Heide,

You can't go wrong with Simple Green. Great stuff, biodegradable and cleans anything. I use it all the time here. Real good on bird poop. LOL

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
03-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Heide,

I'm not much on housekeeping, but congratulations on quitting. If you can do it under stress like this, you have a really good chance of staying off.

Cold turkey is the only way. My dad smoked for 45 years, but has been smoke-free for about 10 now. Still, he admits he's "just a puff away from a pack a day".

SpiderMan

Vagabond
03-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Howdy,
I might have been living in hotels/motels but I still know how to clean.Ajax is the cure for all( one time I cleaned my suede shoes with Ajax to remove some stains).For the kitchen grease try Baby wipes and u will be surprised at the results.Good Luck
Vagabond : /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif