PDA

View Full Version : Building arm strength

Buckster_uk
03-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi,

I was thinking, would it help to build up the strength in your arms, could this improve your pool in anyway? Does anyone use some techniques to build their strength up in the arms?

Karatemom
03-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi. I don't believe strength has a whole lot to do with this game. It might be slightly useful in the break, but other than that, I don't believe so. Stamina is the big physical factor in this game, IMO. I think timing is the key in the break. Would definitely be interested in what everyone else has to say as well.

Heide

bluewolf
03-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi reps and low weight for stamina.

Laura

03-01-2003, 08:29 PM
I think more importantly would be development of back and leg stamina. I know those are the areas that give me the most trouble after long hours of playing.

I used to could stay at a table day and night without a break. Now, I'm lucky if I can stay there 3 hours without giving my back a rest. Much more than that and my back hurts for a week or more. It's a b*tch getting old...

David

JPB
03-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Well, one guy at the pool hall I frequented some years ago talked about wrestling with the 10 pounder as a way he developed strength. I don't want to get vulgar tho. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Harold Acosta
03-01-2003, 10:05 PM
8 or 10 lbs dumbells found at K-mart or Wal-Mart.
A few repetitions a day will give you some arm strength.

Popcorn
03-01-2003, 11:26 PM
I am not so sure it would not be a good idea. I would think stronger muscles would be more precise, move with greater precision. When I got out of the army I had not played any in 2 years. I was in amazing physical shape and in six months, I was playing better the I ever played, the game seemed easy. I often thought it was the condition I was in at the time, that made it possible to jump so much in such a short time. I have known some very good players that were muscular. Danny D. had a grip and arms that could crush you. Billy Incrodona was in great shape when he was playing his best, so was Sigel and Earl. Or course then you have Miz, soooooooooo.

TomBrooklyn
03-01-2003, 11:50 PM
I'd think good muscle tone, lack of excessive body fat, flexibility and balance would benefit pool playing as it would any activity in general. I don't think great arm strength is important. Most of the best pro players don't seem particulary beefy in the arms/shoulders.

L.S. Dennis
03-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Dmorris, lucky to be able to go for 3 hours. Any more than about 45minutes or so and my back is gone!

DSAPOLIS
03-02-2003, 12:29 AM
ARm strength won't help your game very much. I'm sure it might help you health wise to develop an overall exercise program, but arm strength really is not required. Guy the size of Johnny Archer and Francisco Bustamante hit the balls much harder than guys two or three times their size, and that's not by accident. Cue speed is the key to a phenomenal break, as well as accuracy. Brute force is not required. I have an article posted at:
http://www.azbilliards.com/blackjack/blackjack8.cfm

The article is entitled "Breaking to Win". Understand that the key to the break is control and accuracy. You should never sacrifice accuracy for power. Building up the arms might help you out in other areas of your life, but not here. Many of the players that possess the strongest breaks have been guys built like Johnny Archer & Francisco Bustamante. There are also big powerful guys such as Roger Griffis & the late Tony Ellin, but they weren't weightlifter types.

Blackjack David Sapolis

Leviathan
03-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Read your article about the 9-Ball break, great stuff. The young guys whose greatest ambition is to play the cyclone shot could save themselves a lot of grief by following your advice. But they won't! Ah, to be young and foolish again (instead of just foolish)... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D.M.

snipershot
03-02-2003, 10:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr> Hi,

I was thinking, would it help to build up the strength in your arms, could this improve your pool in anyway? Does anyone use some techniques to build their strength up in the arms?

<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Buckster, I've seen your posts over at matchroom alot.

IMO, building arm strength could help you especially with your break, but I don't think its necisary to have a good break. I'm not a very big guy at all, 6ft 140 pounds-that's not a misprint! I think I have an excellent break myself because I use leverage (sp?) to generate power and cue speed.

All of the pros that have killer breaks aren't very big in size either. So yes I think arm strength could help your game but I don't think it's a must have part of your game.

Jimmy Mendoza
03-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Good question. As illustrated in my good friend Dave H.'s video, you gotta stroke it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry Dave, I couldn't resist /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

03-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Dear Popcorn, you understand. Golfers used to be like pool players, badly out of shape, smoked, drank, gambled, now they are trained athletes, and the scores have never been lower. If you run into a player who gets sand kicked in his face on the beach, he is going to tell you size &amp; strength does not matter. Small thin wiry guys can be strong as hell, that should not deceive you. Any one can play &amp; break better by better physical conditioning, that one is a given &amp; not open to debate.
It would be a mistake to go work out at Golds gym &amp; then not be able to comb your hair. You can go buy a simple set of barbells &amp; work all of your muscles in 12 different directions 3 or 4 times a week. As I own the break records, and most of the power records, I am either lucky, a fraud, or I worked out to do it. I spent decades working on Nautilaus machines, Karate &amp; Yoga helped a lot. I used to run around with heavy hands a lot, and I think any hand squeeze or ball squeezing is good, the stronger your fingers, the longer &amp; lighter you can hold the cue.

I would run 5 miles, every other day, and swim a lot. There are specific pool muscles you just cant get at with traditional methods. What I did was go out &amp; cut a old barbell rod, the rod you clean &amp; jerk with, the big weights are on the ends, and cut the bar the length of a pool cue, 58". You guys were practicing with a one lb cue, I was using a 12 lb cue, guess what, I developed power you'll all did not have. Being 240 lbs, 6'l", with 17" arms &amp; a 50" chest with 28" thighs, did not hurt.

Mike Massey is a lot bigger &amp; stronger than me, and he has never been able to hit a l0 rail bank, let alone an 11 or 12. I trained in areas he did not. Mike has been an amazing physical specimen, as was George Middleditch, which was why these two men could do things on a pool table none of you guys could dream of fading. Rick Wright is long &amp; lean, but he can do almost everything I can, becuase he is strong as hell, and has a ton of knowledge.

Strength helps more than your break, it helps your force follows, and your draw. I take my iron bar &amp; go into the break stance &amp; sling it through an imaginary cue ball with a full follow through letting my body follow naturally l00 times every morning. I then take the bar &amp; go into the Masse position with it &amp; do 100 masse strokes.. If you are not a artistic player, just ignore that one, you dont need it, and it's a waste of your time.

Any kind of lat pulls in a gym are very good, I have very large lats, and my right lat is 50% bigger than my left lat, something I always wanted to correct, but never got around to. A fine conditioned lat &amp; tricep, is very underated in pool. Get in the best shape you can, endurance is a very important part of any champions game, so dont smoke, dont do drugs, have a healthy diet, and that does not mean hamburgers, fries &amp; hot dogs. If your pool hall only serves that, then run out to subway &amp; come back.
When you play, eat very lightly, Trevino said a hungry dog hunts best, after the match is over, then go to the steak house &amp; eat &amp; slug down a couple of brews. The iron bar you are now swinging has no weights on it, it is heavy enough, dont add any.

Keep alcohol in moderation, Drinking booze, only slowly reduces your performance, it never enhances it, and if you think it does, come see me in Valley Forge &amp; I'll explain that one to you. It has to do with you accidently &amp; temporarily going into the zone, not understanding where you were, &amp; then falling out of it. You feel to find that again, you did it last being drunk, so you now think you can only play drunk. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong...You go into the zone dead sober, booze or drugs, has nothing to do with this. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger Shoot straight, Innovate, no fear &amp; never give up, VENI, VIDI, VICI....

Jimmy Mendoza
03-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm not popcorn.

Predator314
03-05-2003, 09:36 AM
I work out about 3 times a week. I usually play pool after a workout. My 19oz cue feels like a toothpick when I do this. However, it keeps my hands relaxed and promotes a better stroke. The only reason for this is because I've been lifting weights and 19oz seems like nothing after that. It's a shock to the brain. The first few times I tried playing pool after working out, it killed me. I coulnd't make a shot. Just because I wasn't used to the cue feeling so light. After I got used to it, it helped me out. The only other benefit of working out to my pool game is that it helps with stamina during a long session of pool shooting (money games, and long, drawn out tournaments). I used to get tired towards the end of my sessions and my play showed it. Working out regularly fixed that.

03-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Am I reading a mistake in your post? Did you really say that you don't think a good break is necessary? Surely you didn't mean that...

03-08-2003, 12:13 PM
bondo, I'm not speaking for snipershot, but I interpreted his comment to mean that he thought building arm strength was not necessary for a good break.

Which I *would* agree with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

snipershot
03-08-2003, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bondo:</font><hr> Am I reading a mistake in your post? Did you really say that you don't think a good break is necessary? Surely you didn't mean that... <hr /></blockquote>

I think you might have misunderstood what I said, I said arm strength is not necessary, I didn't mean a good break, a good break is necessary, arm strenth isn't a must have. I should've worded my post differently so that it was easier to understand.

snipershot
03-08-2003, 01:59 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thank you for spacing your post out, myself and others have asked you to do this in the past, we weren't being rude it just makes it alot easier to read, maybe we were being picky /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. It's just that long posts such as yours become sloppy if their bunched altogether.

Thanks again

03-08-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm glad I just mis-read that... I could not believe my eyes.... God I gotta read these posts better.

Folks are correct... Strength is not a requirement for delivering a powerful CueBall into the Rack. Tempo is the Key for a powerful delivery &amp; repetition is the key to Tempo. Accuracy comes from a controlled power delivery....