PDA

View Full Version : This is a KID.. and needs an education

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Protesting the USA at a basketball game..

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0221-07.htm

inappropriate conduct needs to be punished..

TomBrooklyn
03-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Toni Smith, the person Tom is referring to above, wrote: "...it is clear that the government's priorities are not on bettering the quality of life for all of its people, but rather on expanding its own power..."

Though I have a feeling I would not agree with Ms. Smith on all the details of how she thinks things should be, I could not agree with the second part of her above statement more. The Federal, and State and Local Governments have, over the course of time, grown into multi-headed monsters that increasing dictate how individuals must conform to one-size-fits-all standards, and in some cases, how people must think.

The liberties and rights of people are being increasingly abridged while personal responsibility is being discouraged by a constantly growing repitoire of laws, taxes and redistribution of wealth programs designed to shift power and responsibility away from individuals and into the hands of Government, discouraging self-reliance and individual initiative.

While paying lip service to family values, the "Big-Brother" Government, in seeking to provide safety nets through all manners of endowment programs that mushroomed out of President Johnson's failed Great Society experiment, funded by excessive taxation, has in fact managed to corrode and erode the family unit as a building block of society more than any other single force imaginable.

Another abuse of Government power on the international front is the misguided concept of the US as a world Police Force self-authorized to invade the Soverign Lands of other peoples and forcefully impose our concepts of Govenment and liberty on them. This is morally misguided and another huge waste of taxpayers money, resourses, and in some cases, lives. Read Vietnam, Granada, Panama, Somalia.

It is the right, and for those who value liberty enough, the requirement of the people to protest the transgressions and oppression of Government when it occurs.

This is a link (http://www.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stories/022703aba.html) to a thoughtful editorial in counterpoint to the initial reaction of many people to Ms. Smith.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Tom.
It is indeed sad, that there are people in this country that ONLY critisize and do nothing constructive to fix what is wrong. To complain and do nothing is even worse than doing nothing at all.. it's a waste of time and energy.

If you or anyone wants to say that what's wrong with this country IMO it's just a waste, unless you are willing to fight for what you think is 'morale' then all you will ever have is a voice.. nothing more.

eg8r
03-02-2003, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The liberties and rights of people are being increasingly abridged while personal responsibility is being discouraged by a constantly growing repitoire of laws, taxes and redistribution of wealth programs designed to shift power and responsibility away from individuals and into the hands of Government, discouraging self-reliance and individual initiative.<hr /></blockquote> I don't think this could be said any better. One great example would be the fat person suing McDonalds for making them fat.

[ QUOTE ]
Another abuse of Government power on the international front is the misguided concept of the US as a world Police Force self-authorized to invade the Soverign Lands of other peoples and forcefully impose our concepts of Govenment and liberty on them. This is morally misguided and another huge waste of taxpayers money, resourses, and in some cases, lives. Read Vietnam, Granada, Panama, Somalia. <hr /></blockquote> I obviously disagree here. The kid is not really paying attention to the Iraq situation. By the President pushing the idea of us going to war with Iraq, it is bringing more to light the fact that Saddam has not been following the UN guidelines. The rules being broken are not ours but the UNs rules. We are just the willing party to take care of it.

eg8r

Leviathan
03-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Hi, Tom.

With respect, I disagree. I believe that Ms. Smith has every right to express her views and that it would be very wrong to punish her for exercising her right to free speech. It seems to me that her statements make sense and that her behavior is dignified and courageous. I'd be proud to have her for a daughter.

Regards,

Duke

Troy
03-02-2003, 09:33 AM
"I may not agree with your bumber sticker, but I support your right to stick it."

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Hi, Tom.

With respect, I disagree. I believe that Ms. Smith has every right to express her views and that it would be very wrong to punish her for exercising her right to free speech. It seems to me that her statements make sense and that her behavior is dignified and courageous. I'd be proud to have her for a daughter.

Regards,

Duke <hr /></blockquote>

03-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Toni Smith has every right to express her opinion and conduct a peaceful protest. That's one of the things that make America great. I wonder if Toni Smith ever thought about what would happen if she were living in Iraq and declined to salute the Iraqi flag during their national anthem. My point is that if you don't like it, go live somewhere else. Maybe somewhere where you are not afforded the opportunity to go to college and play basketball. Or worse yet, somewhere that you are not allowed to take a stance against the government.

Just exercising my right to free speech.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2003, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> Toni Smith has every right to express her opinion and conduct a peaceful protest. That's one of the things that make America great. I wonder if Toni Smith ever thought about what would happen if she were living in Iraq and declined to salute the Iraqi flag during their national anthem. My point is that if you don't like it, go live somewhere else. Maybe somewhere where you are not afforded the opportunity to go to college and play basketball. Or worse yet, somewhere that you are not allowed to take a stance against the government.

Just exercising my right to free speech. <hr /></blockquote>

Hear, hear.

She's a stupid kid who just wants attention. Now she's getting it.