PDA

View Full Version : Player Named Alabama Red?

Sid_Vicious
03-02-2003, 11:05 AM
I once was told a story about a player who you'd never have heard about, supposedly called Alabama Red. This individual recanted an evening where this guy won but didn't slaughter, and yet at the end of the evening they locked the establishments doors and supposedly this player really exposed his game. There was not big wagering, just the physical admission through exhibition that a very, very proficient player was hiding in the wings, only surfacing on the road, and giving just enough to win but not too much. Has anyone ever heard of this guy? It's been going on 10 years so he could have disappeared permanently, or never existed at all...sid

03-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Sid,maybe he changed his name or moved away fom 'Bama?
I will pass on a saying that I have used for many years.
"There is nothing more demoralizing to my opponent,than to make him or her actually BELIEVE they have a chance to win,.....where none exists."

Whether 'Bama Red is Urban Legend,I cannot say.

These are the tales which make our sport so colorful.

The search continues,...

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifajunfats
the Bayou Banger

sack316
03-02-2003, 02:43 PM
if you notice, I am from Alabama. Though my hair is dark, there is a slight red tint to it, especially my facial hair. Oh wait a minute, I'm not that good. Sorry, no clue for you on that one. But when I see some of the big guns that have played around here for a while, I'll see if they have heard of him for you.

The Rhino Chaser
03-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Sid, I don't know if this is your guy. While I was at the DCC there was a guy from Mobile Al. Who was going to give Tony Watson the last two and Tony turned him down. Never got the name of the man from Mobile nor had I seen him before.

Sid_Vicious
03-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks, it could be absolutely anybody, and like I said, the guy may be no-more after 10 years. I had very little of a description about age, etc. Maybe he'll pop up in time, and maybe he will stay hidden. I expect he'd like the second scenario better...sid

Predator314
03-03-2003, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Rhino Chaser:</font><hr> Sid, I don't know if this is your guy. While I was at the DCC there was a guy from Mobile Al. Who was going to give Tony Watson the last two and Tony turned him down. Never got the name of the man from Mobile nor had I seen him before. <hr /></blockquote>

Tony Watson turned him down? That just isn't the same Tony Watson I saw play 7 or 8 years ago. That guy was so cocky. He thought he was Superman. He came into a pool hall (which is now a bluegrass place) high as a kite. He got into a small game trying to hustle up a bigger game. The owner and I knew who he was, so he scurried on down the road. He was a total low-life, but a very good player.