PDA

View Full Version : looking for a decent jump/break cue

wolfsburg2
03-02-2003, 01:24 PM
i have recently been putting a lot of effort into my breaks, and have been getting some good results. i am starting to get a bit of a rep as being a powerful breaker, and i really enjoy getting a good break, and head start in the match. imo people don't focus enough on having a strong break.

so, the point of the rant is that, i am tired of using house cues to break, i think it is time for me to step up to a break/jump cue of my own, to help with my consistency.
anyone have any helpful advice for a noob to break cues? tia. mike

btw my price range is $1-200, nothing crazy, just a solid consistent hitter. ivory inlays are not necessary /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Bungee actually make a BJ cue, so why not get a good jumper with that one? That's what I'd do if I needed one...sid

03-02-2003, 11:49 PM
varney custom jump break ordered from playworld in ashville ,nc ferule and tip garuteed for the life of the cue. the break is amazing and 2 ball jumps and rather more consistent then last resort. this isnt a plug, i just bought one over the weekend and i just love it i can get a name and addy for u guys if you would like. the price for one with no rings no nothing is 250 shipped. just stick a reply on for anyone interesting (everything but the very center of the tip is made from the same resin as a cue ball.) (anyone ever see andthing like this if so also please reply)

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 05:41 AM
$250 is a little more than i would like to spend on a break/jump cue. but thanks for the reply. i am gonna check around tosay on the web and see what i can find....please keep emm coming if you have anymore info guys.

bluewolf
03-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Wolfsburg,

Are you coming to valley forge? My husband and I are looking at jump/break cues there. Probably will not be buying, just looking. If you are there and you want to meet up, I am sure my hubbie who is an apa 7 would help you to pick something out. I think from what little I have seen that you can get a decent jump break for 150 or maybe be less.I know that he has helped people pick these out before.Apparently there are several companies that make good ones.

At this point I have the predator bk which costs $300, and my husband has the stealth jumper which costs $80.

I can relate to where you are coming from because it is always I think a tuff decision whether to get a separate jump and break or to get a combo to save on money and/or pool case space.

Laura

bluewolf
03-03-2003, 06:07 AM
BTW,

Congratulations on your good break!!!! That is such a good feeling to have one's break getting better!!! I too think it is very important and can definately give one the edge over the competition.

We have an accustats tape from a match a couple of years ago between Effren and Johnny Archer. The commentators kept commenting on Archer's break and what a huge advantage that was to him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 07:46 AM
i would like to come out to vf, but i am not sure if i will be working. i appreciate the help. if i am able to make it out i will definately let you know.

i will almost definately get a bk/j combo for financial as well as practical reasons. i was reading this months bd and i saw a couple of ads for $100 combo cues, i will get the brand names and try and research those.

btw your husband must be pretty phenominal to be an apa-7. i have yet to play or see an apa-7 in my short apa experience. is he going to enter at valley forge?

strong breaks win matches imo. the pro matches that i have seen, generally the pro who breaks well wins matches. at my novice level, i think that if i can really develop a strong break, i will have a distinct advantage over many opponents.

eg8r
03-03-2003, 07:58 AM
I agree with Sid on this one. I love my Bunjee Jump/Break cue. I have used a Bunjee jumper for a couple years now and I have no problem jumping with it. When I switched to the Bunjee J/B cue the jumper was the same, and now I have a Break cue also. I do not break very consistently to tell you how different this cue is when breaking or a house cue. The only thing I have a strong opinion on is the jumper. Great jump cue.

eg8r

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 08:00 AM
thanks for the input. any idea on price range for a bungee combo cue?

bluewolf
03-03-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr>
i will almost definately get a bk/j combo for financial as well as practical reasons. i was reading this months bd and i saw a couple of ads for $100 combo cues, i will get the brand names and try and research those.

btw your husband must be pretty phenominal to be an apa-7. i have yet to play or see an apa-7 in my short apa experience. is he going to enter at valley forge?

<hr /></blockquote>

I hope you get to come. You sound pretty good yourself. My husband is a decent seven. The longer you are on here the more you will find out how many great pool players are here. Some pros, A players, apa 7s, apa 6s etc. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 08:25 AM
i hope i can make it out, maybe i'll take a p-day...... it is pretty cool, to get the advice, and opinions of the people on this board, the more i am here the more respect i have for the knowledge they posess /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
03-03-2003, 09:35 AM
I paid $100 for mine, but I got it from a local guy (he does not have anymore). I have seen them go for up to $150.

eg8r

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 09:36 AM
cool. tks

cycopath
03-03-2003, 05:08 PM
You might take a look at the Lucasi LSS2 Jeremy Jones signature series jump/break cue. I have one I did use to break with, it broke well enough. I never tried the jump, so I can't comment on that. They typically sell for just over $100 on eBay. Occassionally you'll see them sniped at just under $100.

03-03-2003, 09:52 PM
BUY A STEALTH, THEY ARE PRICED RIGHT, AND THEY WORK, SEE THEM AT THE HOPKINS EXPO. Fast Larry

Sid_Vicious
03-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Larry...Does Stealth make a BJ cue? I wasn't aware of anything they made but the jump cue by itself...sid

jbullerjr
03-04-2003, 04:14 AM
I know you asked Larry, but here is my .02.

I have broken/jumped with the Stealth b/j...It is ok, doesn't really do either thing exceptionaly well.

This past weekend I jumped with the Stealth jump cue...MAN!!! that thing is like cheating.
It is a pretty unique jump cue, it is a 3 piece cue that weighs just a little over 10-11oz.

With all 3 pieces together it is well over 40" and really gives you the control you need for those longer jumps.
However it still gets up very quick (full ball less than 6").

Take the back section off (the remainder is still 40") and this thing takes off like a Harrier Jet (full ball little over 1 1/2 cubes of chalk).

My interest in the cue came after I saw another player shoot and make this jump on the one.

START(
%A_5D7%HF8X3%JV0W9%KK0Q3%LW5Y7%NW5F9%Oq9Z2%PT6Z6

)END

&lt;------Will be adding this cue to the arsenal.

eg8r
03-04-2003, 07:53 AM
When you get your Stealth, it would be neat to see if there are any differences between it and my Bunjee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have always jumped with my Bunjee and never tried another jump cue before.

I will say, my Bunjee J/B jumps just as well as my Bunjee Jump cue. There is no performance difference that I noticed.

eg8r

The Rhino Chaser
03-04-2003, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> When you get your Stealth, it would be neat to see if there are any differences between it and my Bunjee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have always jumped with my Bunjee and never tried another jump cue before.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>eg8r I jump with a Lucasi and have also used the Bungee. After trying the Stealth IMO it's way better than either of those jump cues.

bluewolf
03-04-2003, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> When you get your Stealth, it would be neat to see if there are any differences between it and my Bunjee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have always jumped with my Bunjee and never tried another jump cue before.

I will say, my Bunjee J/B jumps just as well as my Bunjee Jump cue. There is no performance difference that I noticed.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

How well does it break? I have the pred bk and although I like it I do recognize that there are other sticks that break well too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
03-04-2003, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How well does it break? <hr /></blockquote> I am not sure the right way to answer this. My reasoning is that I am not a consistent breaker, I do not have a consistent stroke, and I have good days and bad days. I like the way it breaks I guess, but I think the main issue is my stroke.

I can vouch for the jump part of the cue...Wonderful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do not jump very often, but it never lets me down.

eg8r

eg8r
03-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks for opinion. I am interested in trying othe jumpers just to see if there is a difference for me.

Why do you think it is better? If you are able to jump a full ball with reasonable proximity to the impeding ball with one jump cue, what would make another better. I do not have problems jumping just about anything within reason and actual game play conditions. For example, I do not care if I am able to jump over two balls standing on top of each other, that never comes up during a game. I also do not care if I can jump a ball within a piece of chalks distance of an impeding ball, because that is not a logical jump situation. Other than those two, I am pretty comfortable with any of the other jump situations using my Bunjee. What would make another jumper better?

I wonder if there have been any studies done on technique. Does one person technique hinder them from one jump cue being effective over another?

eg8r

The Rhino Chaser
03-05-2003, 12:27 PM
eg8r: The added length of the cue and reduction in weight. Make the stealth much easier to control. I could use a much softer stroke to get the ball airborne. Which lead to greater accuracy. I like you jump the ball very well and have been completely happy with my Lucasi jumper. However, I am seriously considering making the switch.

eg8r
03-05-2003, 12:36 PM
In response to the added length, I have that with my Bunjee. When John at Instroke first started selling the attachment two years ago I got it. It makes the jump cue a little longer than before. I use it sometimes, but it definitely does not lighten the stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
03-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Do you use the Stealth in the traditional underhand grip or in the dart stroke style? I can see that the Stealth with the extension might be better for long jumps using the underhand method, but I personally am extremely please with the Lucasi for close hops of 1-2 balls width, and I am making the balls fall in the pocket on a far more consisten basis than with the Stealth under the same conditions. Maybe it's just the way I am built, but the Stealth takes second place to my Lucasi. I know, I know...people swear by Stealth jumpers as supreme. I for one am not a believer in that superiority, the Lucasi rules in my opinion, at least in using with the dart stroke...sid

eg8r
03-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Sid, I never, ever use the dart stroke. I wonder why? I really don't know. I guess if I was trying to jump a full ball a chalks width away I would have to, but other than that, always underhanded. I wonder what the difference would be if I tried the dart stroke.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
03-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your reply, now if I can get the Stealth players' grip style during stroke.

Next time I know you and I will be in the same PH, I will pack my Stealth along for you to try. I'm interested in getting your opinion between the jumpers...sid

The Rhino Chaser
03-06-2003, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Do you use the Stealth in the traditional underhand grip or in the dart stroke style? I can see that the Stealth with the extension might be better for long jumps using the underhand method, but I personally am extremely please with the Lucasi for close hops of 1-2 balls width, and I am making the balls fall in the pocket on a far more consisten basis than with the Stealth under the same conditions. Maybe it's just the way I am built, but the Stealth takes second place to my Lucasi. I know, I know...people swear by Stealth jumpers as supreme. I for one am not a believer in that superiority, the Lucasi rules in my opinion, at least in using with the dart stroke...sid <hr /></blockquote>When I tried the stealth I used a regular grip and the dart style grip. Worked equally well with either grip. Did you take the extension of the stealth when using a dart grip? I use both grips with my Lucasi jumper as well. Depending on how far the ball I'm wishing to jump is to whitey. I have no complaints with the Lucasi and a still using it, only because I'm to cheap to buy the stealth.

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Chaser...I own both, I wanted the Stealth because everyone and his dog was so high on it being superior, so what's one more cue in the collection. I immediately lost all my ability for jumping when I went to the Stealth, and when I went back to the Lucasi it hopped like God again. I've been through two more tip changes since then and improved the cue a bit, but I personally find the thing frustrating in both categories,,,air and accuracy. I am going to emulate the same tip which is on the Lucasi this weekend, and if that doesn't accellerate the Stealth a bit, I'll give up on the darn thing.

Bottom line is that I own both cues you mention, and the Stealth has never been better for me, even works worse. Is there a chance I am missing something very simple with this cue? I dunno...sid

bluewolf
03-06-2003, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Chaser...I own both, I wanted the Stealth because everyone and his dog was so high on it being superior, so what's one more cue in the collection. I immediately lost all my ability for jumping when I went to the Stealth, and when I went back to the Lucasi it hopped like God again. I've been through two more tip changes since then and improved the cue a bit, but I personally find the thing frustrating in both categories,,,air and accuracy. I am going to emulate the same tip which is on the Lucasi this weekend, and if that doesn't accellerate the Stealth a bit, I'll give up on the darn thing.

Bottom line is that I own both cues you mention, and the Stealth has never been better for me, even works worse. Is there a chance I am missing something very simple with this cue? I dunno...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

I would like to hear in more detail why you do not like the stealth because I will be getting a jumper in the next year. WW has the stealth and tried to show me how to jump with it. It would not hop for me but assumed that was because I am a beginner. WW can jump with it but it looks hard to control. Maybe I am all wet, but it does not strike me as a precision instrument.

Laura

eg8r
03-06-2003, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I would like to hear in more detail why you do not like the stealth ... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid:</font><hr> I immediately lost all my ability for jumping when I went to the Stealth <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~Just trying to help

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2003, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't call it a precision instrument, and yet I'm getting fair at making balls on the jump. Main thing for me is that I don't give up BIH fouls with failed kicks. If I can get 1-2 balls width and can see my OB, I can hit it.

Ok, the generic reason I don't jive with the Stealth is really very simple. I own both the Lucasi and the Stealth, and I always get air with the Lucasi, and I fail sometimes with the Stealth. Even when I get over the next ball with the Stealth, I don't seem to get the accuracy. I notice that the Stealth is far lighter than my Lucasi, and to get down table hops I have to muscle the Stealth more than the Lucasi. All I can say BW, is that the Lucasi hops, it hits it's target and many times makes balls. The Stealth sometimes clips my obstructing OB, and when it does get over I seem to be all over the map on accuracy, except on target.

Just do yourself a favor and try other JCs besides Stealth, along with trying the Stealth. You may find as I seem to have, that one JC is not the best for everyone.

Also, check back to see how my re-tipping experiment goes on the Stealth. It will be as close to the Lucasi as it gets once I spring for that exact same tip. Might put the Stealth back on top, who knows..sid

griffith_d
03-07-2003, 07:00 AM
I break with a Pred BK,..it really is good. But actually, I can break better with my playing cue that has a 314. Try buying a cheap butt and add a 314,...the shaft run about $180 at Seybert's.

Griff