PDA

View Full Version : Viking or Lucasi

03-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Hello to all

Need some help selecting a cue. The more cues you look at the more confused you get. They all look good. for the money the Lucasi looks like a great buy. Put a Predator shaft on it and I think you have a really good cue. On the other hand you have the Viking. The name has been around for a long time. For the money if you are looking to spend around $400 to $600 which cue would you go with.

Thanks for the help

Robert

dg-in-centralpa
03-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Several years ago I was looking for a cue and willing to spend $400 - $600. I looked at Viking, Predator, and a few others. I bought a predator. Why buy a Viking or Lucasi and put a pred shaft on it. Why not buy a predator and have the same thing. Granted the viking has more options than the predator. I wouldn't want to spend that much on a cue and then spend another $150 - 200 just for a shaft.Go to Valley Forge and try out both cues. I'm not sure if Viking or Lucasi will have demo models, but predator will. Good luck.

TheFish
03-02-2003, 09:41 PM
400-600 is a lot of money. I have heard great things about both Viking and Lucasi, but at that budget you can also look into entry level customs. You can get a Gilbert (gee guess what i own) for about 400..and as the previous poster has mentioned u can get a predator. Personally, i think rpedators are great buys..just that if u go to any decent pool hall you are bound to run into at least 1 or 2 pple with the same exact cue. Another good buy is meucci (love their shafts and hit).

Rod
03-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Just a suggestion, for that price you can buy a low end Schön, Pechauer or Joss. If you've decided on Lucasi or Viking then I'd go with Viking. There are reports of the wrap comming loose and the but warping on the Lucasi. The shaft wood is better quality of the three afore mentioned cues though.

Rod

JPB
03-02-2003, 11:51 PM
I have a Lucasi with a predator shaft. I like it, but no way I'd spend 600 on it. No way. The Lucasi has a butt that's not perfect and the wrap is bad. I got it because I hit with it before buying and play well with that particular one for whatever reason. I like the uniloc joint, I like the hit, etc... but there's no way I would drop 600 on a Lucasi. I got it for a stop gap until I get something I really like made. Then it will be a break cue/spare cue. If you get a Lucasi find one cheap. If I were you, I'd take the 600 and try to find a few more dollars and get a custom cue. Can't help on a Viking, I have no idea about them.

bluewolf
03-03-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Showman:</font><hr> Hello to all

Need some help selecting a cue. The more cues you look at the more confused you get. They all look good. for the money the Lucasi looks like a great buy. Put a Predator shaft on it and I think you have a really good cue. On the other hand you have the Viking. The name has been around for a long time. For the money if you are looking to spend around $400 to $600 which cue would you go with.

Thanks for the help

Robert <hr /></blockquote>

For that price, you can get a non fancy blackheart, which is a very fine stick. If you cannot wait to have one made and want a production cue, I would if it were my money go with the predator. If you get the predator sneaky pete, you would also have enough money for an extra shaft.

Laura

HalSmith
03-03-2003, 07:11 AM
Since you are going to Valley Forge Check out the Oliviers for that much 4 to 6 hundred like everyone says you can get a entry level custom cue or like one person said a low end Schon which is a nice cue.---Smitty

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 07:53 AM
i agree with the rest 5-600 is definately enough to get a nice custom cue, or if you are intent on aproduction cue, i would go with schoen based on rep alone.

i have a paul finelli sneaky pete, that i picked up used for a couple of hundred, and it hits like an absolute dream. a friend of mine has a nice custom finelli cue with some nice inlay work, that he is trying to sell for right around your price range. if you are going to valley forge, i am sure there are going to be plenty of options for you in that price range.

heater451
03-03-2003, 10:00 AM
For the money, you probably would be best off with a custom, but with $400-600, you could buy one of each--avoiding the more fancy ones. Then you could compare them at your leisure.

I have a Viking (since 96-ish), bought one for my wife, but also have a Lucasi, and have always liked the way the Lucasis hit. However, while they both play very nice, I think the Lucasi is considered a less valuable piece, due to its import origin.

Again, back to the money, you could probably spend $300 for one of each on eBay, and you would have the benefit of trying and having both cues, while retaining enough money to begin saving up for a custom job.

================

Hopster
03-04-2003, 01:53 AM
I just started looking at Viking models as i just sold my Helmstetter. The billiard warehouse has some really good options on the models shown on the Viking page.
I was thinking about a Meucci but a friend talked me out of it.
So far i havent heard anything bad about Viking. I have included a link to show what model im looking at if anyone wants to critique it, please go ahead i like input.
Heres the link : http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/viking/viking_vm17.htm

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2003, 08:13 AM
I like that cue. I like Viking cues.

Maybe you should contact Mike Janis. He has real good deals on Viking cues sometimes.

Predator314
03-04-2003, 09:07 AM
I just bought a Predator 2 for $596 (with Linen Wrap). That barely falls into the 400-600 price range. I loved the way the Predator 2 hit. So, I'm going to sell off my Helmstetter. The Predator 2 is not a fancy looking cue. It's solid black with some minor sparkles and a silver joint and silver ring around the butt. It's just a nice hitting cue.

Eric.
03-04-2003, 01:14 PM
I think it hits pretty good for a production cue.

I used to play with a Capone, which I loved. Unfortunately, somebody pinched it. I decided to go buy a "temporary playing cue" until I could get my hands on another Capone. I happened upon Lucasi cues during a trade show(Valley Forge or US Open, can't remember) and saw Buddy Hall hawking the cues. I went over and talked to him. He told me to hit some with the Lucasi. Wow. Not bad. Buddy also mentioned how he was involved in designing the shaft taper. Also, he mentioned that the cue has an Aegis ferrule with a Uni Loc pin(I happen to like the Uni Loc, personal preference only). Sold. I bought one for under $300 and 2 years later, still play with it. I still haven't bought another Capone, yet.

I think the key to why the Lucasi hits well is the shaft taper. I like a longer taper, BUT it has to be done right. The Lucasi taper grows from about 2 inches from the tip and continues to grow all the way back to the joint. This is similar to the great H Rambow or the late Ray Schuler's stuff. IMO this is the right way to taper a shaft becuase if you just grind the shaft back, with no taper growth, it becomes flimsy and may not flex consistantly (ala M E U C C I). Now, I'm not saying that Lucasi and Rambows are in the same class, but for the money, you get a real good hitting cue. The only thing I've heard bad about Lucasi's are some quality control problems. My suggestion-find one, hit some, check the stick for defects. You might like it. I have no regrets about buying one. Hope this helps.

Eric

03-08-2003, 11:45 AM
hello agian to all

Thanks for all your help. I decided on a Longoni Cue made in Italy. Just came yesterday. I will have to let you know how it is.

Thanks
Robert