PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with me????

dooziexx
03-03-2003, 10:16 AM
A quick background story:
Everyweek, I play in a local 9ball tourney for players with a 7 and under handicap. I started playing in pool hall A with a handicap of 7. I played in that tourney several times, often doing very well sometimes cashing in 2nd & 3rd-4th place money. Finally in December last year, I won it all, and as a result of the win, I could not play in that tourney anymore. Thats fair since its part of their house rules.

So now, Ive been playing in pool hall B with the same tourney format and handicap. I started out as a handcap 6. The players here are in the same caliber as in pool hall A but for some reason I have not won a single match since I started playing here. Ive played in pool hall B's tourney 5 times and each time I get my ass beat on the first match. My handicap even dropped to 5 and I still cant beat anyone. Its really starting to affect me psycologically. Its like that place is jinxed. It has come to a point where I lose a game in my match, and immediately my brain says 'Here we go again' and its all downhill from then on. This really frustrates me!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I consider myself a pretty good player. I practice alot and play alot of '99' with and my 99 scores are around 65-70. But for the life of me, I cant get over this hump......

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 10:48 AM
i would go back to fundamentals. make sure your stroke is still there. are the tables at this palce any better or worse?

SpiderMan
03-03-2003, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> A quick background story:
Everyweek, I play in a local 9ball tourney for players with a 7 and under handicap. I started playing in pool hall A with a handicap of 7. I played in that tourney several times, often doing very well sometimes cashing in 2nd &amp; 3rd-4th place money. Finally in December last year, I won it all, and as a result of the win, I could not play in that tourney anymore. Thats fair since its part of their house rules. <hr /></blockquote>

A little off your topic, but I can't believe I read that correctly. House rules are that if you win the tourney, you can't ever play in it again?

Someone wins it every week, right? Every week one less person is available to enter? How do they manage to keep the tourney going? If they had 52 people interested in playing, at the end of a year they'd have none except for a few new recruits.

SpiderMan

dooziexx
03-03-2003, 12:53 PM
A little off your topic, but I can't believe I read that correctly. House rules are that if you win the tourney, you can't ever play in it again?

Someone wins it every week, right? Every week one less person is available to enter? How do they manage to keep the tourney going? If they had 52 people interested in playing, at the end of a year they'd have none except for a few new recruits.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I should have been more clear. If you are a handicap 7 and you win the tourney, then automatically you cant play in a under 7 handicap tourney anymore at that PH. If a player with a handicap lower than 7 wins the tourney, his handicap will be adjust by +1.

dooziexx
03-03-2003, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i would go back to fundamentals. make sure your stroke is still there. are the tables at this palce any better or worse? <hr /></blockquote>

I dont think thats it because during the warmups or practice, I would play great.

wolfsburg2
03-03-2003, 01:10 PM
maybe these players are just stronger? maybe it is a mental block. i am sure you'll work through it.

cycopath
03-03-2003, 05:21 PM
A line from a movie comes to mind...

"Buck up lil' camper, we'll beat this mountain together."
Better Off Dead

snipershot
03-03-2003, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure what's exactly sure what's wrong with you it could be a number of things,

1. Your not used to this "other" pool hall after enjoying lot's of success at pool hall A.

2. Your still getting used to this other pool hall, some players take a long time to adjust.

3. My best guess, it's all physchological, you may have lost the first couple times and now your brain just gives up after you fall behind a bit as if it expects you to lose.

I dont know if this is what's wrong it's just a wild guess, if it's not one of these you've got me stumped as well /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

03-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Dear Doozie, accept you new place in pool hall life &amp; just go out a buy a new dress, or you might thing about finding a teacher, who teaches the mental side of the game, and not just the mechanical side of the game. You have a mental problem son, you have met the enemy &amp; it is you. You have a disease I call contenderosis, I can not cure it for you, but I can arrest the problems it can bring. There are others who know how to do this. A standard teacher who only teaches pool, will not do you much help. You need specific help, but realize, a hugh segment of the pool world has the same disease, and nobody knows how to cure you poor people, they teach mechanics, &amp; then assume you can solve your own mental problems. What good is a mechanical game, that does not hold up &amp; folds &amp; chokes like a $2.00 Kmart card table. Any choker, can be taught to become a winner. The game is 90% between your 2 ears, focus there, there is your solution. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com. (http://www.fastlarrypool.com.) Shoot straight, innovate, no fear &amp; never give up, VINI, VIDI, VICI......