PDA

View Full Version : Where Are The Center Spot Markers? Or Why Care?

TomBrooklyn
03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Is an actual spot suppossed to be adhered to the center of a table's playing surface? Just like what is used to show the head and foot spots? I can't recall ever seeing a table that had one there.

There aren't many pool games that make use of the center spot for anything, anyway. Does anyone play or know of any?

ObeOne
03-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Cowboy (a fun game) makes use of the center, foot and head spots.

03-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Yep, Cowboy for one, and I believe a version of billiards (English Billiards or some variation?) makes use of the center spot.

Don't know that I've ever personally run across a table with one, though. Most folks that use the center spot just eyeball it between the side pockets.

David

smfsrca
03-03-2003, 08:39 PM
One of the spotting configurations in straights (14.1):
If either the cue ball or 15th ball is in the rack while the other lies on the head spot (interferes with being able to place the in-rack ball on the head spot) then the in-rack ball is placed on the center spot.

03-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Finding the exact center spot is most important in doing Artistic shots. We measure the slate, then mark the spot using a lead pencil with a small t, never use a stick um spot, why put paper on the table that the ball can slide on, when I see them, I rip em off, out law spots, they are only for ball bangers. Fast Larry

03-03-2003, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Finding the exact center spot is most important in doing Artistic shots. We measure the slate, then mark the spot using a lead pencil with a small t, never use a stick um spot, why put paper on the table that the ball can slide on, when I see them, I rip em off, out law spots, they are only for ball bangers. Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>

i agree on the paper spots. get rid of them. there may be a justification on commercial tables that get pounded all day, every day, but i don't use paper spots on my table. pencil markings for the spot and a line down to the rail.

dan

#### leonard
03-04-2003, 07:21 AM
A rule that I have used to my advantage many times. Most poolplayers have to read it in the rule book before they believe you.####

eg8r
03-04-2003, 07:43 AM
I like this idea. Does the pencil marking eventually rub away? Do you have to re draw it when it starts fading away?

I guess after brushing it and such it will go away sooner or later, just wondering if this is often enough to worry about.

eg8r

03-04-2003, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I like this idea. Does the pencil marking eventually rub away? Do you have to re draw it when it starts fading away?

I guess after brushing it and such it will go away sooner or later, just wondering if this is often enough to worry about.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

not a problem. i didn't make it very dark in the first place and, although it has faded a little bit, it's still very readable after several months. by the way, the line down from the spot to the rail is really useful.

dan

Popcorn
03-04-2003, 09:31 AM
I mark the head string and spot with pen, but I use a stick on spot on the rack spot. If you don't, you get a hole in the cloth in a short time from the one ball due to breaking. That can have a worst effect then the spot.

TomBrooklyn
03-07-2003, 06:01 AM
May you all be blessed with 3 bones -

A wishbone for you to dream and make things happen,
A backbone for courage and strength,
A funnybone to laugh at life all the way.