PDA

View Full Version : Tip softness...

Yuppie
03-03-2003, 10:30 PM
I got a new cue about a month ago...a Lucasi E2 -I know some of the board members here have doubts about Lucasi cues, but it's a good beginner cue for a better than decent price, so don't flame me on that- with a LE PRO tip and it fails to stay soft even for a few hours. Or at least that's what I think. I have a tip pik that I use before I start playing and then again half way through the day. I wipe off as much chalk as I can before I pik the tip. There's always temporary softness, but then I feel as though the tip hardens up again and doesn't hold chalk like it should.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

SpiderMan
03-04-2003, 07:30 AM
You didn't mention your skill level, but I believe that as a player's stroke mechanics and overall skill level gets better, he tends to play confidently with the harder tips. He begins to prefer them because they provide more consistency since they do not change crown shape or wear so rapidly. LePros and Triangles are both examples of medium-hard tips, I personally prefer the Triangle because it's coarser fibers seem to scrub chalk off the cube and hold it better.

At the other extreme is the soft tips (Elk Master, Blue Diamond, etc) that you find installed on many bar cues. Drunks tend to have poor stroke mechanics and worse chalking habits, so they'd miscue a lot and golf cue balls off the table if you didn't give them a sponge to hit with.

You can either give the LePro some time (for you to get accustomed to it), or you can have a softer tip professionally installed. Feel free to experiment, there's a lot out there in the way of tip technology and it's only money /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I experiment all the time, but I do it because as an installer of tips I want to have the weight of test experience behind my discussions and recommendations. I used Elk Masters for years because they were cheap and convenient, but they wear fast for someone who doesn't do their own installations and I still think I play best with a Triangle.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> I got a new cue about a month ago...a Lucasi E2 -I know some of the board members here have doubts about Lucasi cues, but it's a good beginner cue for a better than decent price, so don't flame me on that- with a LE PRO tip and it fails to stay soft even for a few hours. Or at least that's what I think. I have a tip pik that I use before I start playing and then again half way through the day. I wipe off as much chalk as I can before I pik the tip. There's always temporary softness, but then I feel as though the tip hardens up again and doesn't hold chalk like it should.

Any thoughts, suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2003, 07:57 AM
I had the same experience with LePro. They would get glassy after about 200 shots. I prefer a surface that's holds chalk easily. I've been using Elk Master for about a month now. They're pretty soft and hold chalk well. And I haven't had to scuff once.

Just my personal preference. Some folks here like hard tips. I don't. If you want a harder tip that wears well the Triangles seem to be pretty good in that regard.

pooldaddy9
03-04-2003, 09:48 PM
I was so glad when I changed from a LePro tip to a Triangle tip. It has out lasted 3 to 1. Best thing to remember with any tip is to chalk before every shot.

03-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Go buy a 50 cent Triangle, my extensive tests, match what the Schuler Cue company also came up with, the Triangle on a performance level, just about does everything the Jap $30 tip does, the Jap tip will last a little longer, that seems to be it's only real advantage. Hard is best, soft is bad, soft does nothing well but wear out 4 times faster &amp; mushroom all the time. [ps I dont sell tips, so I have no agenda here but to help the players. www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)
Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger Shoot straight, innovate, no fear &amp; never give up. VENI, VIDI, VICI...

Fred Agnir
03-05-2003, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Go buy a 50 cent Triangle, my extensive tests, match what the Schuler Cue company also came up with, the Triangle on a performance level, <hr /></blockquote>Have you noticed any difference (performance or durability) of the Triangle tips since their process of manufacture is now slightly different?

The latest Triangles I got don't seem to be as consistent, durable, and hard as the Triangles I've got in the past. There also seems to be less indication that they've undergone the chromed process. Maybe they reversed the processes at some point. I'm guessing they used to tan first, then chrome, so it had shades of blue. My latest Triangles don't have that blue chrome shade.

Fred &lt;~~~ Schulers, Triangles, you guys know