PDA

View Full Version : What Factors most Affect how u Play ....?

bigbro6060
03-04-2003, 05:49 AM
What Factors most affect how you play on a particular day ?

today i had one of those days when i just couldn't miss. I was making unbelievable shots! i did some very hard break and runs, breaks and runs i wouldn't normally make very often

Felt great!

then it got me thinking, what factors most affect how you play on a certain day ?

is it being fresh ?
being eager ?
biorhythms ?

=k=
03-04-2003, 06:28 AM
i would probly have to say smoke. if i get a late match sometimes it gets so smokey i get short on air and loose focus. the last couple of times i broke out in a sweat just trying to breathe.. and if someone lights up a cigar. i might as well break down cue. just can't breathe..

03-04-2003, 06:47 AM
wow. so many factors, so little time. Did you shave, get a haircut, shower recently. Was there a hot girl you were trying to impress. Were you playing on an empty stomach? Maybe new shoes that gave you an extra inch of height on the table to give you a better view.

Sometimes when I stretch out before a game I feel more comfortable. Or if I watch some bad players in the hall my game will pick up because I don't feel like I have to prove anything.

nRackn
http://www.tableskills.com
free online lessons

bluewolf
03-04-2003, 07:26 AM
That organ between my ears.

When I play well, it is without expectation, there is not pressure, only the love of the game and the subsequent desire to play and resulting in the focus and confidence also being good.

The more self talk is going on the worse I play

Laura

Fred Agnir
03-04-2003, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> What Factors most affect how you play on a particular day ?<hr /></blockquote>
Table conditions
Shirt sleeve
Sneakers
Beer

Not necessarily in that order.

Hope this helps, IMO.

Fred

Kato
03-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Do I feel comfortable?
Are my socks clean?

I insist that the key to pool is clean, dry socks. Laugh all you want, I'm dead serious.

Kato

Sid_Vicious
03-04-2003, 09:34 AM
1.I slept really well the night before.

2.No obligations loom over my head, i.e. taxes, bills, roof leaking from the rain.

3.The cue shaft is perfectly smooth and clean.

4.I have plenty of money in my pocket.

*To add, I played exceptional after a mid day interlude with a GF one time. Shot lights out until I folded up for the afternoon, no thinking, just making shots and seemingly floating around the table in a carefree fog. I'd take either the interlude OR the performance again by themselves, but both were a small piece of heaven on earth at the time...sid

9 Ball Girl
03-04-2003, 10:03 AM
First, I have to feel good with the way I look. I go to the gym 5 days a week and I feel that image is everything. Also, I have to be able to not get tired of standing and bending over repeatedly. If I feel that I'm looking my best, then I'll give my best game. Oh and clippies to keep my hair out of my face. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Secondly, I don't really care for smoke in a poolroom but if there is, hopefully it's not concentrated in the area where I'm playing. The smoke really bothers my eyes and to top that off I wear hard lenses so I really get screwed up.

Third, I'll work with anything but I hate to play on a table where there's a lot of people traffic (near the counter, near the restrooms, near video/ping pong tables, etc.) But, like I said, I'll work with anything 'cause if I'm focused, I don't see anything but the table.

Fourth is definitely equipment. The balls must be clean and of one brand. I've played with sets that are mixed up (Aramith balls mixed in with Centennial balls and what have you). I remember being in a room and asked the girl at the counter that gave me the set to change a couple of balls so that they match the rest. She gave me a weird look and said okay but a ball is a ball. NOT! The table should at least be brushed/vacuumed. I hate those little speedbumps.

And last but not least (I have a few more but I can't think of them), I really wish that some TDs enforce the NO TALKING WHILE YOU'RE OPPONENT IS SHOOTING (that includes friends that come to watch). I'll usually tell the person I'm playing that Silence is Golden but when their friends are there and my opponent is constantly going back and forth to his/her friends to talk and not paying attention to the game, it drives me nuts!

cheesemouse
03-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Big,
[ QUOTE ]
What Factors most affect how you play on a particular day ?

<hr /></blockquote>

First and foremost, everytime without a doubt is whether I'm INTERESTED........don't mean to sound flip but that is my bottom line on how I play if the interest isn't there neither is my game...

Ralph S.
03-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Poor table conditions and an overly heated room are what usually effects me negatively. I prefer a very cool room.

bigbro6060
03-04-2003, 01:30 PM
it's interesting that some people have stated physical things like certain pool table conditions, climate etc and some have stated psychological things

I definitely think it is 90% psychological which determines how well you play

If it was just the pool table conditions, then really if you found a pool room which suited your tastes for conditions perfectly, then you are saying that you should be able to play your very best every day at this place! we all know that wouldn't be true, you would still have your good days and your bad days

this thread is a small effort to try and 'bottle' those factors which lead to a good day

i totally agree that non pool related stress has a lot to do with it. Whether it's stress from work or stress from relationships or other stress. and of course what better way to relax than squishy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i guess champions find a way to focus out all the crap in their life so they are able to play their best when it matters most

Rod
03-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Well rested and feeling good. Being ahead of schedule with plenty of time to warm up. Last but certanily not least, the desire to play. For tournaments only the first two apply cause I wouldn't be there without desire.

Yuppie
03-04-2003, 05:57 PM
I'd have to agree that mental state is a huge factor when playing well or not well. Up until recently, I was sharing my cue with a friend who played with me all the time. I was constantly frustrated because I had to switch off cue's with him and I had to watch him treat my cue like a house stick. Not good for mental game.

But then again, strange conditions have affected my game in a positive way too. I remember one day, I was angry and extremely hungry. Hungry to the point that I was shaking. But I swear, I played some of my best pool that day...at least for a bit.

There's a local pro at the hall I play at and sometimes he'll line me up a shot and says, do this, this and this and I'll get down on it and completely [censored] it up. The pressure of him watching me is often too much.

So it all depends. But mental state is the big factor for sure. Then I'd say comfort. I had to play in wet socks one day and boy did that [censored] with my game.

Peace!

03-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Ralph, boy did you hit a good one there, you like a cool room. How many events have you been to that you got there early &amp; the temperature was fine, then you get 1500 people in there, all of them smoke, &amp; soon it's 88 degrees and humidity to match, and your brain gets fuzzy.

They just dont get the place cool enough before the people come, or then dont crank it all the way down when they do show up. This is so critical everywhere I go I take a temperature &amp; humidity guage with me to monitor the room. I like it 72 degrees, humidity in the 50's. A colder room will lower the humidity. A hotter one will rise it.

The brains functions best at 72 degrees, not at 90. Get a lot of warm humidity in a room, the throw of the balls goes weird, they begin to cling too much, which changes the cut, combo's are now a guess, and the mosisture in the cloth, slows down &amp; changes the table speed which does not help your cue ball control.

You get Mike Massey, Tom Rossman &amp; me together &amp; just listen, we are constantly talking about this problem, it wrecks havoc with what we do. This was a great comment sir, few people understand what a vital thing this is, and why it is so important. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) Shoot straight, Innovate if the joint gets hot &amp; sticky, no fear, and never give up. VINI, VIDI, VICI....