PDA

View Full Version : predator BK or Sledgehammer JB cue??

SteveFromNY
03-04-2003, 09:47 AM
I just can't seem to find someone with a sledgehammer JB for me to try out so I don't know is it that good? Has anybody here ever used or own one? I'm just not that happy with the predator.

Steve Lipsky
03-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Steve, as far as a break cue goes, I love my "Sledgorama". It really is the nuts. To be fair, I've only hit with a BK a few times, so I can't give a legitimate comparison.

I've never jumped with the Sledge though. If that's what you're looking for, maybe someone else on this board has more experience?

- Steve

SteveFromNY
03-04-2003, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Steve, as far as a break cue goes, I love my "Sledgorama". It really is the nuts. To be fair, I've only hit with a BK a few times, so I can't give a legitimate comparison.

I've never jumped with the Sledge though. If that's what you're looking for, maybe someone else on this board has more experience?

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>thanks...btw, are you the steve lipsky whose name is up on the corner billiards list of high runs?

Rich R.
03-04-2003, 12:58 PM
I have a Sledgehammer J/B cue.
It is a nice product and has a very solid hit. Because it has a solid phenolic (sp) resin ferrule/tip combination, I find it a little difficult to control the cue ball when breaking, if you get too far away from a center ball hit. This may be a weekness in my stroke, but I find that I miscue a little too often when not hitting around the center of the cueball.

As a jumb cue, it is very good. I am not experienced at jumping balls, but I was jumping over full balls on my third attempt when I first got this cue. If I can jump balls with it, I would say, anybody can.

It is a little on the high priced side, compared to some other J/B cues, but it is a good product.

I strongly recommend trying one out, if possible, before you buy. It is not for everyone.

Steve Lipsky
03-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Steve. Yeah, that's me. I want to beat whatever I have up there, but I'm never at Corner. I played there one season of their straight pool league, and that's where that run came from I think.

Do you hang out there?

- Steve

SteveFromNY
03-04-2003, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I have a Sledgehammer J/B cue.
It is a nice product and has a very solid hit. Because it has a solid phenolic (sp) resin ferrule/tip combination, I find it a little difficult to control the cue ball when breaking, if you get too far away from a center ball hit. This may be a weekness in my stroke, but I find that I miscue a little too often when not hitting around the center of the cueball.

As a jumb cue, it is very good. I am not experienced at jumping balls, but I was jumping over full balls on my third attempt when I first got this cue. If I can jump balls with it, I would say, anybody can.

It is a little on the high priced side, compared to some other J/B cues, but it is a good product.

I strongly recommend trying one out, if possible, before you buy. It is not for everyone. <hr /></blockquote>thanks..i had no clue about the tip. I hope the guy that makes the cue will be at valley forge...

SteveFromNY
03-04-2003, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hi Steve. Yeah, that's me. I want to beat whatever I have up there, but I'm never at Corner. I played there one season of their straight pool league, and that's where that run came from I think.

Do you hang out there?

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>nice run! i play in the 9 ball league there on thursdays. im still learning the game of straight really. I ran 23 balls once for fun on table 17 (tight pockets) and I was thrilled!

cycopath
03-04-2003, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I have a Sledgehammer J/B cue.
<hr /></blockquote>My dad uses a phenolic tip on his Heubler J/B. He had the same problem until he flatten the profile on the tip a bit.

DEADSTOKE32
03-04-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi steven i had a hammer break q and it cost.If you fine a good b/j cue i have some phenolic tips that i make down here in GA .And if your look for some thing that can take a beatin and still hold shape and never mushrooms this is the tip for you .And it won't cost a lot to have . You can get a low end b/jcue and put one on you never want any thing else.Just drop me a note and i'll get back 2 u soon.with a price..discouts for all cbb members.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich R.
03-05-2003, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> thanks..i had no clue about the tip. I hope the guy that makes the cue will be at valley forge... <hr /></blockquote>
His name is Mike Gulyassy and he was at VF last year. That is where I got mine.
His website is http://www.babysproshop.com/

Rich R.
03-05-2003, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> thanks..i had no clue about the tip. I hope the guy that makes the cue will be at valley forge... <hr /></blockquote>
His name is Mike Gulyassy and he was at VF last year. That is where I got mine.
His website is http://www.babysproshop.com/
<hr /></blockquote>
Baby's Pro Shop, owned by Mike G. is definitely on the list of exhibitors for Valley Forge this year.
Also on the list is Omen Custom Cues. Pete Ohman makes a great J/B cue that you do not want to miss, if you are in the market.

SteveFromNY
03-05-2003, 01:55 PM
thanks for the info. I'll check him out too.