PDA

View Full Version : Poolhall Junkies...my review

Scott Lee
03-04-2003, 11:03 AM
I saw the movie last night here in Chicago. I went to a 10:00 show, and there were a total of 4 people in the theatre (me and my friend included)! LOL I have to say that I LOVED it! I thought it was a great movie. Really good storyline... I can overlook the flaws in the pool (Rick Schroeder is NOT believable as the #13 ranked player in the country...not with the way he shoots! LOL). Christopher Walken was GREAT....Rod Steiger was GREAT...Chazz Palmentari was very good as the bad guy...Alison Eastwood was gorgeous, as the love interest, but only really played a bit role. Somebody had posted that Tony Curtis had a bit part as an RV dealer, but it was not him (it looked like him, but I watched the credits, and it wasn't). They mentioned several "real" players, but used none, with the exception of about 2 minutes with Mike Massey, playing "St. Louie Louie"! Mars Callahan, who wrote the screenplay, plays the lead, and IS believable as the lead character. At least he has SOME semblance of a stroke! The missed 'dates', meetings, etc., really hit home for many of us poolplayers...especially those with a significant other in their lives. Overall, I really liked this movie! For dates and cities where it is now, and will be playing later this month, check the website: www.poolhalljunkies.com (http://www.poolhalljunkies.com)

Scott Lee

Cueless Joey
03-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Scott, you are too kind in your movie review. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The movie could have been much better if they had more money to back it up. The storyline was very good but the whole movie just looked like it was rushed. The support cast was B grade (outside of Palmenteiri, Walken and Eastwood) at best.
The camera/cinematography was terrible. It looked like the movie was shot on a camcorder on SLP mode.

Scott Lee
03-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Joey...I guess we just have to agree to disagree! LOL
I went to see it AGAIN this afternoon, and liked it the 2nd time just as much as the first! It's a POOL movie...how many do we get? The last one was 17 years ago!

Scott

03-05-2003, 05:11 AM
You should rent the NZ one. Stickmen it's called, check details at imdb.com or somewhere.

And there's a movie called Running Out too?

L.S. Dennis
03-05-2003, 09:43 AM
I know there was some talk of doing a film of David McCumber's and Tony Annigoni's 'Playing Off The Rail'book.

Could this be the next pool movie?

Fred Agnir
03-05-2003, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> I know there was some talk of doing a film of David McCumber's and Tony Annigoni's 'Playing Off The Rail'book.

Could this be the next pool movie? <hr /></blockquote>
I would love to see McGoorty as a movie.

Fred

Predator314
03-05-2003, 10:18 AM
I would love to see this movie. Unfortunately, I live in the sticks and there is a slim to zero chance of it coming to our theaters. Hopefully it will go to DVD rather quickly. Just reading about the movie has re-kindled my interest in pool movies. I just picked up a copy of The Hustler and The Color of Money from Ebay.

Cueless Joey
03-05-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Joey...I guess we just have to agree to disagree! LOL
I went to see it AGAIN this afternoon, and liked it the 2nd time just as much as the first! It's a POOL movie...how many do we get? The last one was 17 years ago!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>
I'll get you a video of Efren's movie as soon as I get it.
He just went back to Manila to finish the movie with the John Wayne of the Philippines. Now, THAT's a movie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PHJ could have been a very good movie were it made by a major studio. Hell, TWO bowling movies were made by a major studio the last ten years. Sad.

Yuppie
03-05-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't even get to see the supposedly terrible movie. Being that I live in Omaha, I don't even think it's coming here...anywhere! But I'm sure it doesn't even come close to measuring up to "The Color of Money" which I thought was great and was even directed by Scorsese for chrissake!

To add to the list of pool movies, I think I read a review of how this movie closely resembles another movie called "Chalk (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0115859)" released in '96.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Efren's movie ? Seriously ? Hadn't heard about that. A biography ?

Icon of Sin
03-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Chalk, huh, i never heard of it, is it available on DVD or VHS or anything?

L.S. Dennis
03-05-2003, 12:53 PM
From everything I've heard thus far Pool Hall Junkies is unquestionably better than The Color Of Money and Chalk (which was shot in part here in San Francisco) but not as good as The Hustler. Not having seen it yet I can't personally attest to this but I suspect that it's probably pretty accurate!

PQQLK9
03-05-2003, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> I saw the movie last night here in Chicago. I went to a 10:00 show, and there were a total of 4 people in the theatre (me and my friend included)! <hr /></blockquote>

Gee Scott, you should have set up your tripod and 8mm camera and made bootleg copies for the ccb board /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cycopath
03-05-2003, 09:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> Chalk, huh, i never heard of it, is it available on DVD or VHS or anything? <hr /></blockquote>You can order the VHS through the official site. http://chalkfilm.org/
I got it after a few weeks, I had to email them a couple of times. It's not very good in my opinion. Cinematography is lacking, script is lacking, acting is lacking. Not very much pool playing is filmed IMO.