PDA

View Full Version : Does

DEADSTOKE32
03-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Does Preadtor makes a 13m shaft i'm looking 4 one..
All help is great... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

L.S. Dennis
03-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey Deadstroke,
The answer to your question is no. I called preditor with the same question last week and was told that they use a 12.75 mm shafts because a 13 mm shaft would naturally cause more deflection. Kind of goes the grain of logic but that was what they told me.

Fred Agnir
03-05-2003, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Hey Deadstroke,
The answer to your question is no. I called preditor with the same question last week and was told that they use a 12.75 mm shafts because a 13 mm shaft would naturally cause more deflection. Kind of goes the grain of logic but that was what they told me. <hr /></blockquote>Goes with the grain of logic, if you're talking about squirt (cueball "deflection). At least, for the muddying up science guys. The thicker the shaft at the tip end, the greater the effective tip-end mass. And relative tip-end mass is the greatest factor for squirt.

Fred

DEADSTOKE32
03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks

L.S. Dennis
03-05-2003, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Hey Deadstroke,
The answer to your question is no. I called preditor with the same question last week and was told that they use a 12.75 mm shafts because a 13 mm shaft would naturally cause more deflection. Kind of goes the grain of logic but that was what they told me. <hr /></blockquote>Goes with the grain of logic, if you're talking about squirt (cueball "deflection). At least, for the muddying up science guys. The thicker the shaft at the tip end, the greater the effective tip-end mass. And relative tip-end mass is the greatest factor for squirt.

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey Fred,
Not being a science guy I'll take your word for it, but one question. Does this mean for example that any 12.5 or 12.75 mm shaft would have less deflection (even if it's not a preditor) than a normal 13mm shaft?

Fred Agnir
03-05-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr>
Hey Fred,
Not being a science guy I'll take your word for it, but one question. Does this mean for example that any 12.5 or 12.75 mm shaft would have less deflection (even if it's not a preditor) than a normal 13mm shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

Nope. It just means if you have a 13mm shaft and an identical shaft that is turned down to something, less, then the smaller shaft will have less squirt.

There are shafts out there that for some reason have metal under the ferrule. That would make it tip heavy, and therefore more squirty than, say, a hollowed out 13mm shaft, even if it (the metal-laden shaft) was, say, 12 mm.

At one point, someone had turned their pro-taper shaft to more of a billiard taper and got less squirt. I recall Don Feeney talking about it. The going consensus by pure speculation was that the taper caused the change in squirt. But, knowing what we know today (actually, it's been speculated by engineers and scientists for a long time that it's the mass that is the factor, not the stiffness) the change in taper simply resulted in a lower tip-end mass, and lower squirt was the result.

I hope that makes some sense. If you are in Valley Forge this year, ask Jim Buss to try out his high-squirt shaft. He's put metal under the ferrule such that if you hit off center, you might miss the entire ball due to squirt.

Fred

Vapros
03-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Fred, this is news to me. I am just before having a new shaft made; a bit bigger than 13 mm, in order to reduce the deflection. Am I on the wrong track? I thought I needed a stiffer shaft to get reduced deflection.

I'm not sure I understand about the 'tip-end mass'. Would it help to bevel the cuetip? Would this lessen the mass?

If you are a 24 carat Filipino, I would like to hear your comments on this. As far as I know, all the Filipinos are good pool players. Thanks.