PDA

View Full Version : Environmental impact on game

03-05-2003, 01:31 PM
I have noticed that the poolhall/bar environment has more of an affect on my game than I care to admit. After playing in several tourneys I come to the conclusion that to be tournement tough is far more difficult than becoming a proficcient shotmaker & strategist. Every tourney for me takes the same route: arrive early, practice,& hopefully play on time.I usually play very well in the first & second matches. Next is the waiting! Sometimes several hours. I can only watch so many games in this smoke filled, music blaring environment without being numbed into submission. Does the constant tuning out compound the stress?
After the downtime I find my game has left me, both mentally & physically.I have tried leaving until my game time only to be chastised for not being around when my name was called because the tourney director said:" we are running an hour ahead". I didnt feel any better after we had "words".
At our recent state 8-ball tourney the only practice time available in the building was before & after official play on the game tables. Before 9am & after midnite. If you had a 6pm match, the only chance for practice was early that morning.
Could all of this be attibuted to stress? If so, how does one get around it? I truly would like to conquer this difficulty & move on.
I watch matches on tv & it is so quiet you could hear a pin drop.
I guess if I cant assimilate I will have to find another game. Too bad, I worked hard this year to get my average into the mid "7's" & thought I could cut it. I wonder if your tournements are this stressful?

Predator314
03-05-2003, 03:48 PM
I used to have this trouble. Waiting would kill me. I think the major problem wasn't that it was hurting my stroke. It was hurting my brain. I would set there and think, "If I can hold it together for 3 more matches, I'm in the money". I would psych myself out.

Now, when shooting in tournies where there are excessive wait times, I will get into a card game, go outside and horse around, play a video game/pinball, anything but watch people shoot pool. I'm hardly ever in a tournament where I'm by myself. I usually have 3 or 4 friends there with me. So I will tell them to come get me when my name is called.

When I'm in a smokey environment (which I don't particularly care for). I will go outside and shoot the breeze with someone. We have a state tourney every year. The teams matches can be long and drawn out. I will sometimes take a nap while waiting on the next match.

Rod
03-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Yes what you have sounds like a real pain. If a room/bar is known to have blaring music then I wouldn't play. That's just me, some others seem to fade that stuff. If it is a bar most of them do not have adequit vent systems and smoke can be a real problem. It can be stressful, I know just the loud music alone would bother me a lot. I don't know any other way other than to get out of the place for a while. It's obvious it bothers you so the stress is probably very real. Either don't play there or let the TD and a couple of others know where you will be. I've run many tourneys and made a note on the sheet for such an occasion or when they went elsewhere to eat etc.

Rod

L.S. Dennis
03-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Guess I must be spoiled living here in California. Every public estabishment in this state is a smoke free environment including bars and pool halls! Now if we could just do something about those juke boxes!

snipershot
03-05-2003, 09:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Guess I must be spoiled living here in California. Every public estabishment in this state is a smoke free environment including bars and pool halls! <hr /></blockquote>

Really! Your pretty fortunate to be able to play in a smoke free environment. I think how you breathe really can effect your shot and playing in a smoke free environment would certainly help with your shot. Bars/pool halls that don't stink, look bad, or hurt your eyes because they are filled with smoke is a pretty sweet deal. I wished they had that at some of the local places around here.

03-06-2003, 05:57 PM
When you get into what I call a zoo, it's really a trap. I don't think these people realize how bad the product they are selling is. Speak out, get a group together, stand up for your rights.

Go to the post, dead stroke, zen, the zone &amp; fleetwood mac, I have a post on that about the music problem you may enjoy reading. If the owner of the place wont clean up or adjust the situation, try this, go up to the TD &amp; just tell him you cant take the smoke &amp; noise, you are going nuts, give him your cell phone number, tell him you are going out into your car to lay down, if he calls you, that you promise to be back in the door in 2 minutes.

Go out to your car &amp; lay down &amp; listen to some music you can handle, at least you are not choking to death on 2nd hand smoke. Tell the TD, if you dont want to, or wont promise to call me, tell me that now &amp; I will just withdraw &amp; go home. Who knows, may be that will work, maybe he will forget to call you, which is what will probably happen to you. The magazines won't take a stand on this, because it will piss off the room owners &amp; politically it is too hot of a potato to touch.

Write the editors of the 2 leading magazines and ask them why they dont have the balls to weigh in on this issue. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger
www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) Shoot straight, innovate, no fear, never give up, just run out. VENI, VIDI, VICI....

Pizza Bob
03-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Not quite true about EVERY public establishment being non-smoking. I play in a room in Southern CA that has a bit of smoke. The law in CA was passed to protect the employees of the establishment, not the patrons. The reasoning being that the patrons can vote with their wallets and elect not to play/eat in a particular establishment, for whatever reason. Different for an employee, they (supposedly) have no choice. Therefore the only public establishments in CA that allow smoking are those that are staffed and run entirely by the owners - no employees. Not a bad model for other states to follow. I hate coming home smelling like an ashtray.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Predator314
03-07-2003, 10:06 AM
I live in the sticks of WV. It's a wonder that they don't smoke in church here. I've never went to a pool hall and not come back with my clothes wreaking of cigarettes. I'm used to the air. It doesn't bother me unless someone lights one up and leaves it sitting near me. The worst part is the way my clothes smell.

SPetty
03-07-2003, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Every public estabishment in this state is a smoke free environment including bars and pool halls! <hr /></blockquote>They've just passed a smoking ban bill in Dallas, and it includes bars and restaurants but not pool rooms! Now just where do you suppose the smoking bar flys are going to now go to drink beer and smoke? I'm not looking forward to it being even smokier now!

Kato
03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Same as Florida Susan. As a non-smoker though I appreciate being able to go to a resturaunt and not have someone fire up a smoke next to me.

Kato