PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips and miles away from a decent table

03-19-2002, 11:07 AM
I live way,way up in the North East corner of Vermont.(1 mile frm Canada and over 500 miles from the near perfect Brunswick tables of my youth in New Jersey.
Nothing is close to get to up here.
It snowed almost a foot over night...still snowing.Nearest decent or well kept table is more than 75 miles away.
anyway, the local tournaments are on a coin op bar room standard. the balls are always dirty so is the rug and sometomes the cb is mostly blue.
house sticks are fine un-wood peckered birch branches with loose tips (just kidding)they are really old 20.00 house sticks shaped like bannanas and as smooth as orange peels.
If you show up with a Sneaky Pete,They say "Looky here...we know yer one a dem PRO-fessionals comin' in here with yer fancy stick lookin' to take us fer some 'licker drinks'...K"
I need some tips for playing in these conditions and compensating for the chalky balls
When I try to make three foot cut shots with careful english
the ob's path is never consistant...I can't find a middle.
They won't let me bring any balls into the bathroom to wash them off without getting suspicious.
The locals have developed their skill on this table and if I cleaned the balls they'd notice a negative difference in their ability. I love pool so much that I have to play!
What should I do to avoid being fed to the live-stock because the house-pro with the big long beard that plays bare-footed thought I rigged the balls?

stickman
03-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Adapting to different playing conditions can be very difficult. Traveling players face all sorts of obstacles. Different lighting conditions, table speed, dead rails, different weighted balls, table roll, the list goes on and on. The thing to remember is that you all play under the same circumstances. The only way I know to adapt to the alien atmosphere is to put in some practice time. When the house player is accustomed to the playing conditions and you aren't, they will always have the advantage until you become accustomed. I know how you feel. I've played under some terrible conditions, and it sucks watching a lesser skilled player clean my clock because I'm having trouble adapting to the conditions.

03-19-2002, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ballbreaker1:</font><hr>
What should I do to avoid being fed to the live-stock because the house-pro with the big long beard that plays bare-footed thought I rigged the balls?
<hr></blockquote>

well, i'm not a big bar box player but i have an idea or 2 anyway:

1. you've got to shoot "above the cloth". that means fast enough so that the ball is not affected by the cloth, slate etc. takes the funny roills out of the game.

2, forget trying to do backspin and just go for middle to top. overall, the less you stray from centerball, the better.

3. bring your own chalk, keep it in your pocket and don't be obvious about using it. learn to wipe the chalk on not grind it in.

4. for social purposes use off the wall sticks but learn only to look for the best tip in the room. if it has a big bend you can beat that by turning it so the bend is "down" and if you keep your bridge short you should do ok.

5. try to get some time alone on the table so you can map-out the hills and valleys, especially around the holes. pay attention to which, if any, rails still have life in them.

6. understand that the better you are able to work that little piece of crap table the more damage you are doing to your "real table" game.

7. sneak into the bar sunday morning and set fire to the table..no, better to chain saw the sucker 'cause a little fire will probably convince 'em it's now got character.

8. move

dan...what is snow???

SPetty
03-19-2002, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>

dan...what is snow???

<hr></blockquote>

Being a fellow confused Texan, I searched on Google and found these, which might help:

http://www.umich.edu/~oseh/snow.gif

and this

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/images/snow-digging.jpg

and even this

http://www.islandnet.com/~luree/snow.gif

PoolFan
03-19-2002, 03:31 PM
The best advise I can give you is, MOVE!!!

03-19-2002, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>
and even this

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.islandnet.com/~luree/snow.gif>http://www.islandnet.com/~luree/snow.gif</a>

<hr></blockquote>

golly, thanks, it looks very pretty in a festive kind of way. i imagine it's alot of fun. kind of like pure white cotton candy. very light and fluffy.

i would not like to have any however, since it looks like it might cause my motorcycle to corner a little "funny".

dan...which part of texas??

03-19-2002, 10:20 PM
Drive up to Canada..
I live on P.E.I, a few hours from you.
But we do have a big 9 ball tournament in Halifax this weekend. Should be some fine players there, and the tables are Brunswicks (i think).
You wanna play come on down.
The drive is negligable, due to the fact that yer dollar is worth a 1.40 here. I believe by your description you are 3 or 4 hours from Halifax, not that far for some quality 9 ball..

Think about it. My name is Carson, I will more than likely be there, it depends on my work situation. If not, I can give you the name of a guy who will help you out with "the who's who" of that particular billiard scene.

You might even feel at home, although are women are not fancy, none of them are married to their brothers.

Carson

Chris Cass
03-20-2002, 05:01 AM
Now that was well said and I would have said the same. Dan, you know your stuff.
C.C.~~likes snow on xmas then, forget it.