PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Why

pooldaddy9
03-06-2003, 09:19 AM
I wonder why when I try to practice by myself, I start out OK but then go down hill and get frustrated and quit. I can practice playing someone and I get better as I play. What are some good drills or a way to practice by yourself without losing interest? thanks for any help

Predator314
03-06-2003, 09:35 AM
I have this problem myself. I have started playing a game with myself to make myself "bear down" when I practice. We call it 9-innings. Others might have variations of the game. But there are the rules:

o Rack a 9 ball rack.
o Break. If you pocket a ball off the break w/o scratching - 2 bonus pts.
o After the break, take ball in hand and try to run the rack. Shoot until you miss. Once you miss, count all the pocketed balls (including the ones made from the breaK) as 1 point each. If you make the 9 by any legal means during the game, you get 9 points.
o You can have a total of 11 points per rack.
o You shoot 9 racks and add up the scores to get the total.
o There is a possible 99 points available in the game. (11 pts per rack x 9 racks = 99).

My best score is 89 (I had an exceptional break that day).

This game is good for offensive practicing and once you get a decent score posted, you have a target to try to beat. It's kind of like playing pinball to me. Just trying to beat my high score. I spent 4 hours the other day just trying to beat my 89. I never did. I saw one guy put up a 92 a couple of weeks ago. He is the guy that taught me the game.

If you find little games like this, I think you will not get that mental block that usually comes after practicing for a short while.

I have a spreadsheet set up where you can enter your scores for the 9 innings game. It's better than writing the scores on a napkin /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Give me your email address and I will send you the sheet.

9 Ball Girl
03-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Everything that Predator314 said. And, as far as drills are concerned, I highly recommend the book Black Belt Billiards by Steve Campagna (aka Socrates on the CCB). You can read more about it here: http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/

Wendy~~now if only I can find a poolhall where I can go practice... /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

pooldaddy9
03-06-2003, 09:59 AM
pooldaddy9@aol.com - thanks, sounds like a good game.

pooldaddy9
03-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I just ordered the book. I feel like I can play better already. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Predator314
03-06-2003, 10:13 AM
I hadn't heard of the book. I might order a copy when I get home this evening. I also noticed he had another variation of the above mentioned game with some benchmark scores to go by.

bluewolf
03-06-2003, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> I wonder why when I try to practice by myself, I start out OK but then go down hill and get frustrated and quit. I can practice playing someone and I get better as I play. What are some good drills or a way to practice by yourself without losing interest? thanks for any help <hr /></blockquote>

Not knowing you I could not hazard a guess. All I can say is that 99% problems in the quality of my performance in practice and in matches originate in the organ between my ears.

One thing I will say though is that my husband always says 'you play like you practice'. I was being kind of sloppy, not really getting down on the ball just knocing them around. When I do not concentrate on every shot the way I would in a match, I do not have good results in my practice. Also my technique gets real sloppy. And something else I have found, if I do not challenge myself by pretending I am playing someone or playing target or fargo or something, I can take the easy shots and if I miss it is 'oh well', because there are no consequences. Then if I am taking the easy shots and missing quite a few, but make some good ones too, it is difficult to know how well I am doing and can actually lie to myself about how good I am. I think this happens sometimes when a person thinks that they are better than they perform.

If this seems like you, I would play fargo or the ghost.Also the black belt billiards book is good because you set up specific drills and have goals.

Hope this helps a little.

Laura

03-06-2003, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I hadn't heard of the book. I might order a copy when I get home this evening. I also noticed he had another variation of the above mentioned game with some benchmark scores to go by.
<hr /></blockquote>I have Steve's book, and while I haven't taken the time to commit myself to it yet, it looks like a very good book.

BTW, Steve's 9-ball Q-Skills drill is a variation of Allen Hopkins' Q-Skill drill with a full rack. It's a very good drill that I do practice frequently, along with playing the ghost in a race to 5, 7, or whatever. Other excellent drill games are Fargo and Target Pool (if you can find a copy, it's no longer made but pops up on eBay occasionally). I have a worn out copy of Target Pool, and I keep bidding on these new ones on eBay but am never around when the auction is close to ending so I never win it.

David

socrates
03-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Predator 314 - Yes there is a 9 ball game in the book which as other posters have mentioned is similar to Allen Hopkins cue skill game.

Thought I would let you know that within the next couple of weeks I will have available for free download from my web page another nine ball practice game I am working with called "Progressive Nine Ball"

If anyone would like an advanced copy of the guidelines for Progressive Nine Ball just email me and I will try and attach in a file to you within the next couple of days.

In the heat of tax filing season now so need to get back to work. Everyone have a great day.

03-06-2003, 08:26 PM
If you practice with no clear goals or objectives, and are sloppy at this, or just he haw to pass time, your competitive performance will mirror this.

I teach a very simple system, the 6 p's, perfect practice produces a pure perfect performance. The big question on your mind is Fast, how do I practice perfect. That really is the question you should seek the answer to, for that is the key, don't waste you time ever playing, with out a clear goal &amp; outcome, if you can't figure out how to do that, try planting tulips, or Daffodils, mine are coming up now &amp; they are beautiful.

I spend more time in my garden, than I have ever spent on a pool table, to me, flowers are more important than pool.
Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger

socrates
03-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Well Larry, on the point of the importance of having objectives and goals for each session at the table we are in agreement.

I am however not much of a gardner.