PDA

View Full Version : Why Schon?

03-06-2003, 12:49 PM
What makes Schon cues so great? I understand that they use expensive materials like ivory and this would increase the price but even a “plain” Schon with no points goes for $500. These are production cues right? With inlays and points cut in by a computer (CNC)? I have owned three great hitting custom cues with true points and hand cut inlays and none of them will be reproduced – they are true originals. I used to play in a room when I was in college and Schon was the cue of choice. On league night you could find two cues that were identical and the owners had each paid over $1,200 for these cues! Ok, my point is this – Schon MUST be doing something right for people to keep shelling out this kind of money. I do appreciate the work they put into their cues and I can tell they don’t cut corners on the materials. Schon would not have such a following though if their cues did little more than LOOK good. I am looking at purchasing a cue in the near future and I want a great playing cue that looks good as well, but the hit is most important. I am looking at the “custom production” cues because I want a more conservative price range. The two manufactures I am looking at are Joss and Schon. I have done some research and found that I can get what seems to be more cue for the money with Joss. My question is this (finally right): Would I do better to go with a $500 Schon with little or no decoration or a $350 - $400 Joss with points and inlays? Thanks for any advice or opinions!

Chris

Rich R.
03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
I would definitely recommend going with the Schon. JMHO.

Kato
03-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Rackmup plays with a sweet Schon LTD. I'm not sure of the price but it's definitely more than $500. Nice looking cue though I didn't hit with it. I did hit with an old Schon 4 point the other night and it hits like a monster.

My vote, Schon.

Kato

Deeman
03-06-2003, 01:01 PM
I play with a Schon and like it very much after playing for many years with a Joss. I like both but preferred the hit, for my taste, of the Schon. I think all of us have different feelings about our choice of cues so I won't defend the Schon nor it's price. I guess, with all the games I have played and will play, I just don't think a couple of hundred difference is worth much worry. After all, you'll spend more on shaft cleaners, chalk and table time over the life of a cue. I would hit both and buy the one you like best. If you are not sensitive enough to tell the difference in the hit, but the cheapest.

Dee

Predator314
03-06-2003, 01:27 PM
I think a lot of the people buy Schon's because of the name. I've played with a few and they hit well. Some are gorgeous, some are horrendous! I was looking to buy a Schon myself, but liked the way the Predator's played better. It's a give that anything I buy will get a predator shaft put on it. Why not just go with the whole Predator cue?

Rod
03-06-2003, 01:51 PM
I play with an older R7 Schön with an inlay option that I bought new. I like the hit, but then changing tips can alter the feel to what you like best. I'll say one thing about Schön. I sent in a shaft for a new ferrule last year and it somehow got held up in the process, not long. I emailed Evan and he had the shaft sent out 2nd day air at no charge!

One thing to keep in mind, Joss comes with a 13 1/4 mm shaft with a pro taper. Schön's taper is more of a conical taper and a 13mm shaft.

Anonamus
03-06-2003, 02:12 PM
I like my Schon because the butt is thin and the balance point is more forward than the Joss (it's more forward weighted). At least that's how it feels to me. I do not like the Joss because it has a softer hit and does not have that forward weighted, as solid feel.

As far as looks (points, inlays, ...) they don't help me shoot any better on their own but they can help move the balance point further forward, which for me is a good thing.

Cues can become popular in an area or PH because that is the brand that PH decided to carry. Maybe they get the best mark-up on Schon cues. It doesn't necessarily mean they are the best playing cues. So everybody buys the Schon because thats whats available.

Irish
03-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Schon were once alot more custom/hand made then they are today. The old Schon (pre-1990) were very close to being custom made cues when compared to say a Falcon or a modern Joss. The old Schon were worth that extra money a person had to pay and were similar in price to a custom cue because they were similar in practice to a custom cue as well in both build and quality. Over the years since about 1990 though Schon became more and more production and lost the custom made touch they once had. What they did not lose was the price tag that used to be understandable due to the personal care for each cue. Now people are paying custom made prices for a premium production made cue and Schon is laughing all the way to the bank.

03-06-2003, 10:39 PM
I've owned 3 Schon's, and loved every one, but they were all made before 1993. I haven't played with a newer model, but I hear they play differently now. I like the hit of my older Schon, and all 3 I had hit identically. That was the reason I liked them: the hit was very consistent among individual cues, so you knew what you were getting when you bought one. As far as value, I'm not sure if the new ones are worth the premium, but I would still say it's hard to go wrong with one. Test out some cues and go with the one you like the best, both in playability and appearance. You'll enjoy a cue that plays well and looks great more than one that just plays well.

dddd
03-06-2003, 11:55 PM
i dont know if its great or not but i feel there are pockets around the country where one cue is preferred and others are not. i am in no way saying they are not worthwhile , but i believe many cues hit well and are similar in dollar and finish. i have seen and played with some schon to my feel they are ok nothing that stood out.

now days i value cost over too much artwork. so schon would not be high unless cost was within my ideas of value and cost.

cycopath
03-07-2003, 12:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dddd:</font><hr> i dont know if its great or not but i feel there are pockets around the country where one cue is preferred and others are not.<hr /></blockquote>That's so true. Around here everyone wants/or plays with a Meucci. Just across the state line in FL, it seems everyone wants/or plays with a Schon.
I guess people are sheep.

HalSmith
03-07-2003, 05:09 AM
I have one Schon and it is a dream to play with. The hit and feel of the cue is great, however it is a older model. It is a low end entry level[700.00] cue. I have only come across 1 Schon that hit like a dog, worst feeling cue ever had in my hand, but most of the time they are a good bet to have a nice feel and hit.---Smitty

rackmup
03-08-2003, 07:01 AM
I've owned Meucci, McDermott, Predator and now my Schon LTD (model 647-retail $1450.00.)

I've played with Southwest, Richard Black, Pechauer, Joss (East &amp; West), and an Abear (a local cue guy.)

I've made balls with all of them and missed balls with all of them. Some were plain (the Meucci) and others were elaborate (the Richard Black.) Some were inexpensive and others ridiculously priced.

I love my Schon Ltd. Why? It looks nice. The hit is solid. The best thing? I'm not one of 23 people with the same cue on league night or during a three day tournament.

It has tons of inlay, two shafts, joint protectors and a nice case to reside in when she's not banging balls...

...but it still misses shots and I know it's the cue's fault, not mine.

Regards,

Ken