PDA

View Full Version : New Slip stroke question

eg8r
03-06-2003, 08:06 PM
I decided to open a new thread on the slip stroke so I don't change direction of the other thread (not sure it would but whatever). Also this way it is easier to see and hopefully the question will get more visibility and be answered.

I read a few posts by #### and some of the others that were talking of the advantage to the slip stroke. The main one advantage is that the contact point is changed so that the mind does not have a chance to interfere with the stroke (I might have worded this wrong, sorry). With that being said, I have also read over time, that many of the shots, patterns and stroke are all developed over time and memory. Some of the memory being muscle memory, ex would be stroke.

My question is...Is the slip stroke used on every shot? or is it just something used once in a while?

I ask this question because I am a little confused. If the slip stroke is used on every shot, I feel you are defeating the purpose of changing the contact point and in effect that type of stroke just becomes the normal stroke and that new contact point just becomes the normal contact point.

Am I way off base or thinking about this too much and should just go back and play the way I already know (this might be a rhetorical question). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

03-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Here is a real simple answer, dont slip stroke, learn how to hold the cue correctly and not grip the cue, then you will understand. Fast Larry Guninger

eg8r
03-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast:</font><hr> learn how to hold the cue correctly and not grip the cue <hr /></blockquote> This is not what I asked.

Here is the question again.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Is the slip stroke used on every shot? or is it just something used once in a while? <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

JohnnyP
03-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Wayne Norcross is the TD at Danny K's, and an instructor. While the nine ball games are going on, he plays straight pool with a Mike Sigel. I think he said the other Mike is his cousin.

Anyway, I spotted Wayne reaching back a little farther on the final back swing. Not every shot, though. Just when he wanted to draw the ball on a long shot.

Rod
03-06-2003, 11:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I decided to open a new thread on the slip stroke so I don't change direction of the other thread (not sure it would but whatever). Also this way it is easier to see and hopefully the question will get more visibility and be answered.

I read a few posts by #### and some of the others that were talking of the advantage to the slip stroke. The main one advantage is that the contact point is changed so that the mind does not have a chance to interfere with the stroke

That is just an in general answer. While it can be true it can also be obtained with a normal pendulum swing. Not speaking for Leonard but he was pointing out people have a hit impulse as the cue gets near the c/b. As mentioned earlier it is very common to most pool players. It drops off big time for advanced players.

My question is...Is the slip stroke used on every shot? or is it just something used once in a while?

No it's not used on every shot. There are to many specialty shots where it can not be used. The same applies to a pendulum stroke, it is not always used. How often or regular it is used depends on who's holding the cue. The same applies to whom ever is shooting a shot, slip-stroke or not players use different methods. Personally I'm trying to wean away from it after all of these years. When I played my best game, about a century ago lol seems that long, I used the stroke on the biggest percentage of my shots. It still kicks in and I don't even know it happens unless I happen to notice, which isn't good.

I ask this question because I am a little confused. If the slip stroke is used on every shot, I feel you are defeating the purpose of changing the contact point and in effect that type of stroke just becomes the normal stroke and that new contact point just becomes the normal contact point.

Well no not necessarly because it is not always slipped the same amount. It's done by feel and what the player is trying to do with the c/b. You can do the same with a pendulum by changing your hand position at address. Hows that for adding a little confusion?

Am I way off base or thinking about this too much and should just go back and play the way I already know (this might be a rhetorical question). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Stay with what you have, you don't just up and decide one day I'm going to use a slip-stroke. Just like I can't jump up and play without one. I'll say one thing I think is very positive about the stroke. Your not likely to see a slip-stroke artist ever fail to have a full follow through. The c/b is penetrated like a marshmallow. Penetration of the c/b which is what we all want in our stroke and it can be done without a slip-stroke. Penetration of the o/b with the c/b is desired for most shots. They come hand in hand with a good stroke.

Once again I'm not selling but another common trait of the stroke is it's rare to see a rushed swing. Do this with a pendulum and your game will improve big time.

Rod