PDA

View Full Version : Visited SouthWest cues today

Hopster
03-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Today before we went to go play i stopped by SouthWest cues. I wanted to have my Dufferin Sneaky pete reduced to 12.25M as i have found this to fit my fingers perfectly and i am comfortable with it.
I had a local place do the reductions on 2 other shafts and wasnt happy with what i got back on one of the occasions. They had charged me $15 for the job and i certainly got what i paid for.
Well when i got to SouthWest i went inside and spoke to the owner or chief opperator named Mike and he certainly knew what the hell he was doing as he went over a few things with me. The job is to cost $45 and will take about a weeks time.
The point of this post is while i was standing around while he took a call i was looking at a lot of the projects they had going and some that were almost done and i got to say they do gorgeous work !! Some of the stuff on the walls was just incredible, i felt like a bum having brought my dufferin in there. lol
I asked Mike what it would cost to get a custom job done. He looked at me and said : We start off at $1000.
In a way , i can definetly see why. Craftsmanship.
Anyway, if any of you guys are ever in town and make a score, these are the people to go see.

cycopath
03-06-2003, 11:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>I asked Mike what it would cost to get a custom job done. He looked at me and said : We start off at $1000.
<hr /></blockquote>He didn't mention the one year waiting list?

Popcorn
03-07-2003, 12:32 AM
That is too much ($45.) for a retaper even by Southwest

Hopster
03-07-2003, 12:34 AM
He didn't mention the one year waiting list? &lt;--Cycopath

To be honest with you, no he didnt. Probably knew that i wasnt that serious about buying. I mean after all, a guy walks in with a dufferin to be worked on, you think this guys going to go for a dime or better ?? lol
Ya know what i mean ?
But its a year wait to get something done ? Wow, i called them a few weeks ago to get a price on having a shaft made and the woman quoted me a price of $300 and said it would take anywhere from 4-16 weeks. And thats just for s shaft alone.

Hopster
03-07-2003, 12:45 AM
That is too much ($45.) for a retaper even by Southwest &lt;--Popcorn

You might be right, but like i said above, i had 2 done by someone else for $15 and definetly wasnt happy with the end result.
So i pay $30 more and i figure to get a better job done. No ?
Whats the alternatives ?

TomBrooklyn
03-07-2003, 01:13 AM
How much time does it take to do a retaper start to finish including setup and cleanup?

HalSmith
03-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Wow 300.00 for a shaft seems way over the edge. My cuemaker, Jerry Olivier, only charges 150 and I'll put his cues up against anyones for beauty and workmanship. Also anytime I need a tip, I go there and as soon as he has a break in his work , he'll put it on. I just don't see it taking 3 weeks to change a taper.---Smitty

Rich R.
03-07-2003, 05:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> He didn't mention the one year waiting list? <hr /></blockquote>
Seems to me, I've heard the waiting list is a lot longer than one year. I believe I read on one of the message boards that the wait is 6 or 7 years, which seemed outrageous to me. I've never inquired, so I don't know for sure.

griffith_d
03-07-2003, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> Wow 300.00 for a shaft seems way over the edge. My cuemaker, Jerry Olivier, only charges 150 and I'll put his cues up against anyones for beauty and workmanship. Also anytime I need a tip, I go there and as soon as he has a break in his work , he'll put it on. I just don't see it taking 3 weeks to change a taper.---Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

Jerry does have some nice cues. I saw them at the Texas open at Legends. I played with his personal against him in some One Pocket just to check them out,...strange game. Kinda like chess.

Griff

Hopster
03-07-2003, 12:02 PM
I just don't see it taking 3 weeks to change a taper.---Smitty

One week is whats its going to take. I dropped it off yesterday and will pick it up next friday.

cycopath
03-07-2003, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> He didn't mention the one year waiting list? <hr /></blockquote>
Seems to me, I've heard the waiting list is a lot longer than one year. I believe I read on one of the message boards that the wait is 6 or 7 years, which seemed outrageous to me. I've never inquired, so I don't know for sure. <hr /></blockquote>That's what I saw in print a few months ago. I contacted Hercek cues about potentially making a cue for me and Joel said he was 5 years backlogged.

HalSmith
03-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Well Griff what did you think of his cue? He is at Fast Eddie's this week-end for the tournment. The one at Almeda.

03-08-2003, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> Wow 300.00 for a shaft seems way over the edge. My cuemaker, Jerry Olivier, only charges 150 and I'll put his cues up against anyones for beauty and workmanship. Also anytime I need a tip, I go there and as soon as he has a break in his work , he'll put it on. I just don't see it taking 3 weeks to change a taper.---Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

olivier does make very nice cues and his workmanship is excellent but he's not southwest. frankly, i'm suprised that southwest would even fool with a retaper on someone elses cue. i guess they have one of the helpers do it to gain some experience but i would think the liability wouldn't be worth it.

a friend of mine is about 2 years into the 5 year waiting period on a couple of southwests and i'm told the wait is getting longer still. you can usually get a new one on e-bay for only a couple of hundred more than retail and avoid the wait. they are sweet hitting cues and a $1700 s.w. will hit almost as good as a $300 pred.

but they sure are pretty and it's really hard to lose money on one. they won't appreciate like a black but what does?

dan

cycopath
03-08-2003, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>...and a $1700 s.w. will hit almost as good as a $300 pred. <hr /></blockquote>tee hee hee.

nmshooter
03-09-2003, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>I asked Mike what it would cost to get a custom job done. He looked at me and said : We start off at $1000.
<hr /></blockquote>He didn't mention the one year waiting list? <hr /></blockquote>
I think it takes a year or more to make it with their techniques and the waiting list is around 5 years. Blue Book of Cues list it similarly. I played league with Jerry Franklin before he passed away and even back then they were back logged. I knew a few people in Vegas that had some of the higher end (5 grand and up) models and also knew a few who had purchased some of the imperfect models for alot less than normal price. Id have one if I could afford it. I think there could be several reasons for the prices being that high 1. It wasnt their cue 2. They arent really known in Vegas for repair work although they do a great job. Repair work is not their bread and butter.

Fred Agnir
03-09-2003, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> He didn't mention the one year waiting list? &lt;--Cycopath

To be honest with you, no he didnt. <hr /></blockquote>
That's cuz it ain't no one-year. When I ordered my first SW, the wait was estimated at 5 years. The next year, I ordered another one, and the wait was estimated at 6 years. I figure if I order another one, it will be 7 years.

Fred &lt;~~~ 4 yrs to go

Rip
03-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Fred,
Yes, the wait is now roughly 6 years.
I was notified by Laurie F the other day that one of my SW cues will be ready in approximately 60 days and the other should be finished by Christmas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It's ironic that since I received the good news, my current playing cue has never felt better to me! I almost feel like I'm abandoning an old friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
After telling my wife the SW's would be arriving soon, she asked that age old question..."how many cues does one man need?" My response of course was "just one or two more honey!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Regards,
Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> He didn't mention the one year waiting list? &lt;--Cycopath

To be honest with you, no he didnt. <hr /></blockquote>
That's cuz it ain't no one-year. When I ordered my first SW, the wait was estimated at 5 years. The next year, I ordered another one, and the wait was estimated at 6 years. I figure if I order another one, it will be 7 years.

Fred &lt;~~~ 4 yrs to go <hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
03-09-2003, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr>
After telling my wife the SW's would be arriving soon, she asked that age old question..."how many cues does one man need?" My response of course was "just one or two more honey!"
<hr /></blockquote>When my wife asks that silly question I just respond in my best 'isn't it obvious' no nonsense voice, "All of them."

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 12:34 PM
i go right for the heart "how many pairs of shoes do YOU need?"

03-09-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> How much time does it take to do a retaper start to finish including setup and cleanup? <hr /></blockquote>

It was stated above that it would take a week to do the taper. Mike may just have a full plate of work that needed to be done before he would be able to get to the re-taper...or consider this: If the shaft is a 13mm to start with then you have to consider that there is a full .75mm being taken off of the wood. Such a dramatic reduction in the volume of the shaft can have an effect on whether it warps or not and he doesn't want that to happen to the shaft...the only thing about that is alot of cue makers take up to 6 weeks in between cuts when they are turning down shafts to see whether or not the shaft wood is going to warp, and this is only one week. It may be because it's already a "finished" shaft" and doesn't need to be watched as closely. No one knows but him. As far as how long it takes to retaper a shaft...in real time anywhere from 20 mins to an hour or more depending on how much you want it changed, if you just want the size of the tip changed, or if you want an entirely different taper...which takes much longer, depending on how different it is from what is already on the shaft. Just thought I'd answer the question either way.

Cheers...Mal /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rip
03-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Tap tap tap! Those words are sooo true.
Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i go right for the heart "how many pairs of shoes do YOU need?" <hr /></blockquote>