PDA

View Full Version : What games are played in your local PH?

Predator314
03-07-2003, 08:34 AM
What games do people play where you normally play pool. I mostly play at the local Moose Lodge, because they have nice Brunswick tables with Simonis cloth.

Most of the tournaments are 8-ball tournaments. Most people play 9 ball when playing for fun. Some of the people that don't shoot much play 8-ball. Also, you can see some people playing one pocket occasionally.

My Lodge:
o 8-ball
o 9-ball
o One Pocket

Does you place play any different games?

Brian in VA
03-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Most common games in our pool room, Richmond VA, among the regulars are:
* Nine Ball
* One Pocket
* 8 Ball
You occasionally see 14.1 or rotation but they're very rare. We also have 3-cushion table that has a game going almost constantly throughout the day.

Non regulars play 8 ball almost exclusively.

Brian in VA

SteveFromNY
03-07-2003, 09:17 AM
straight, 9-ball, and one pocket on simonis and 8-ball on the rugs @ corner billiards.

sliprock
03-07-2003, 09:30 AM
We play a little of everything. Bank pool is easilly the dominant game. 9 ball is a distant second, followed by 8 ball.

Predator314
03-07-2003, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sliprock:</font><hr> Bank pool is easilly the dominant game. 9 ball is a distant second, followed by 8 ball. <hr /></blockquote>

I never thought I would see that. Where do you live in Kentucky?

eg8r
03-07-2003, 09:55 AM
I don't know if the pool hall I am at is very different than other rooms, however the game of choice really depends on what time you are in the PH.

Week days (till around 6) I would say 9 ball is the dominant game with 1 Pocket almost even.
Week nights (after 8 or so) I would say 8 ball is the dominant game.
Saturday during the day - If there is any one in PH the game of choice is One pocket hands down. There have been Saturdays where there were 4 or 5 games of 1 pocket going, and Rackmup and I were playing 9 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nothing wrong with this, but Ken and I both enjoyed 9ball more than 1p, and the people that were actually showing up to play one pocket would be giving us tons of weight. LOL (Maybe not to Ken, but then I would have to sit and watch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

We actually had one guy that was showing up for a while that was a straight pool player but I have not seen him in months. LOL, I told him I like to play straght pool and asked if he wanted to play a game. Well, he was the only one playing. He beat me 100-21. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
03-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Tom_in_Cincy is in the pool hall a bit more than me so he may correct me on this but at SnookerS in Cincy:

In the front room, out of seven 9-foot tables (with Simonis) you'll see about three serious 9-ball games, two 14.1 games (either league matches or fun/money matches), one table with 8-ball bangers, and one table with 9-ball bangers. Also 1 pocket frequently, banks sometimes, solo 14.1 practice frequently.

The back room (eleven 8-footers with slower cloth) is just about all 8-ball (BCA or inhouse leagues or bangers)

Wally~~plays in both rooms.

Hopster
03-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Nine ball and one pocket are whats played 95%. At night the kids come in and play eight ball. They have a snooker table that the regs play golf on and a three cushion table that gets guys on it who are lucky to make 1 biliard an hour on.
Not too much 14.1 except for me.

Kato
03-07-2003, 02:16 PM
The pool players play 9-ball, the bangers 8-ball. Phil Sofla warms up playing rotation (I think he string's together 7 or 8 racks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and I warm up playing 14.1.

Kato

03-07-2003, 04:51 PM
14.1... rotation... one pocket... HA! I wish... my local PH is a ball-banger's paradise. 8ball is the game... with a very rare game of 9ball here and there. I can honestly say that I've never seen a person (besides the owner) over the age of 35 in there. I envy all of you and your nice halls and real players /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-07-2003, 05:22 PM
And, Don't forget.. the Practice table..

One nite while I was playing in the weekly 9 ball tournament, I was leaning up against the 5x10 billiard table. A young couple came in and started to play on the 8 foot table on the other side of the billiard table.. and the lady asked what was that big table without any pockets?
Her man friend replied.. "oh, that must be the practice table"

03-07-2003, 05:35 PM
In seattle lots of 1 pocket and nine ball at Dr. Cue Billiards.

Barbara
03-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Although I haven't been there in a year, there's still a lot of one pocket and back pocket-whatever going on, with a bunch of jelly beans in the background.

Oh yeah, and there's 9-ball.

Tacony Billiards. Philadelphia, PA.

Barbara

NH_Steve
03-07-2003, 10:46 PM
At Brighton Billiards (pretty much Boston), One Pocket is the game of choice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif -- among the 'players', that is. It's definitely the only One pocket room in the area, everything else is nine-ball for the 'players' up here in these parts.

In Manchester NH, they're real big on a variation of 'golf' that they call 'Around the World'. They've got big tournaments (partners &amp; singles), as well as a league with over twenty teams! It's an interesting game, but they have a few really quirky rules that kinda spoil it, IMO.

Paul_Mon
03-08-2003, 08:17 AM
The PH I go to has a VIP room (six Gold Crowns with 860) and the regular room which has 1 billiards table and 20 more 9' tables with a variety of cloths. They outer room even has a few tables covered in purple cloth that glow with black light.

I don't have a clue what games are played in th outer room. In the VIP room you'll find 14.1, 1 pocket and 9 ball. The owner just recovered the 6 tables in the VIP room with 860. The Joss tour will be here the last weekend in March and until then he's not allowing anything except 14.1 or 1 pocket. It's great playing on that new Simonis

Rich R.
03-08-2003, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> And, Don't forget.. the Practice table..

One nite while I was playing in the weekly 9 ball tournament, I was leaning up against the 5x10 billiard table. A young couple came in and started to play on the 8 foot table on the other side of the billiard table.. and the lady asked what was that big table without any pockets?
Her man friend replied.. "oh, that must be the practice table" <hr /></blockquote>That is so sad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cycopath
03-08-2003, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> And, Don't forget.. the Practice table..

Her man friend replied.. "oh, that must be the practice table" <hr /></blockquote>That is so sad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>Atleast he didn't say it was a large card table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul_Mon
03-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Just got back from an afternoon of 14.1. Boy do I love that new cloth. The pros got to be spoiled playing most of their tournaments on new cloth. With three full weeks before the tournament at my PH and the owner not allowing any 9 ball I'll probably get my fill of 14.1 and 1 pocket.
Paul Mon~~~~~love that new 860

snipershot
03-08-2003, 08:57 PM
The majority of our games are eightball, nineball after that, we also have one table that is designated as the "fun table" here people play anything from cut-throat to poker pool or anything else you can imagine. I try to get on the fun table once a week just to something different from the regular 8ball/9ball games.

Leviathan
03-08-2003, 09:17 PM
I've been playing at two rooms in a town in the Mid South. One of them is an action room. It's a pretty scummy place: drugs and guns in the parking lot, 9-Ball and gamblers inside. The other place is an honest-to-God old-fashioned neighborhood pool room. Members of the same family have owned and run the place since just after the First World War. Many of the patrons are regulars who come in for a couple of hours when they get off shift at the bakery or the bottling plant. A number of retirees play there two or three times a week. The big game in this room is American snooker on five-by-tens. Some of the younger guys play 9-Ball, and you'll see a game of pea pool now and then. Nobody plays 8-Ball around here--which figures, since it's by far my best game.--D.M.