PDA

View Full Version : my newest pool dilema

wolfsburg2
03-07-2003, 09:34 AM
some of you know i have been posting my apa experience on a weekly basis. here is another installment /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i moved up to an sl-5 this week after beat a sl-4 last week 3-0 convincingly. i am happy with the sl-5 and i hope i settle in there.

this week i was matched up against a 4 so the race was 4-3.
about 2 games in(i was up 2-0 at this point, winning fairly easy) i started getting real tense. heart was racing a bit, hair on the back of my neck standing up etc. i couldn't figure it out. the match wasn't important, and i was winning pretty easily besides. but for what ever reason, i fealt real nervous. i had to keep stepping away from the table to calm myself down. even mid run, i would step back, puff my cig, and sip my beer just to calm down some.

now i wound up winning 4-0 in 15-16 (game 1 and 3 were 1 and 2 innings, games 2and 4 were 5 and 6 innings), but i still was jittery for the rest of the night. i hope this is not something i have to deal with every time i step up to a pool table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mike

bluewolf
03-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Geez. It sounds like you are really getting in the competition and wanting to win.That part is good imo

Sounds like a match I would have liked to watch.

Our first match last night was 2 sl4s. It was grueling. Innings per game 10-16. It took 1.5 hours. The guy I played was like you, hasnt had many matches so his sl is still bouncing around a bit. He beat me 3-1. Was playing as a sl3 this week. A very good shooter. Our total innings were 26 with 7 defensive shots played.

I dont know about anybody else but when I have felt real nervous, I was worrying about the outcome of the match and sometimes if I was feeling competitive a little nervous too. I am like you though, I just hate the way that feels when I was real nervous so have been working on becoming calmer.

Something s I say to myself can help. 'It isnt the us open,it is just the apa'.I mean, I really messed up on a couple of important shots last night. You know, hitting my ob too easy on a safe, not getting a legal hit and giving him bih on the 8.But my attitude was, 'i tried to do well, i just messed up so oh well' and laughed it off, no biggie, just a match. Did that mistake cost me the match? Who knows? Nobody.It did not really matter. We played, I made a few mistakes, learned a few lessons on what I need to work on. Have finally figured out this is supposed to be fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So I do think that the way I or any other pool player looks at things is important. I really did my best to play well. It is my opinion that if I do my best to do well and make mistakes, well to err is human.If I allow myself into the trap I used to be in of analyzing everthing and beating myself up over everything, then it is no longer fun, it is drudgery. I think if I REALLY want to do well and am competitive and want to win, there is this slight competitive nervousness but when that nervousness crosses the line and becomes debilitating, it not only is no longer fun, it can also have a negative impact on my performance.
So I think the ideal state is that slight competitive nervousness together with concentration, comfidence and the general state of relaxation and well being.

Aside from having a correct mental attitude, there are 'spiritual' tools that are helpful.These tools and the teachings of zen make it easy to have the right attitude and can calm one too.

Learn to meditate. That will calm you down and you can meditate between shots. There is also a good yoga breathing technique that can be done in seconds and can be used in these situations. If you want to know the technique, pm me. I have had times in the past where I shook so bad and have been finding my old methods for relaxation.

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-07-2003, 12:12 PM
thanks for the input. in my case i was playing fairly well. probably to 70% of my potential or so. but i just didn't feel comfortable at the table. and i have played at this bar before and done fine(last time i beat an sl-3 2-0).

for some reason my stance and bridge were bothering me. mostly my stance. and i was conscious of it while i was shooting.

i was in no jeapordy of losing the match imo, as i would have needed to absolutely crumble to have lost. but still it felt very awkward to feel this way. if it becomes a continuing theme, i will definately hit you up about the breathing techniques /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Nervousness is pretty typical when you join a new team. Since you're playing pretty well, do you feel pressure to win, you know, as the "new guy"?

Wally~~used to get nervous, not so much anymore.

SharpCat
03-08-2003, 11:20 PM
I am a sl5 in 9-Ball. Two weeks ago I played an sl6 and he only need 8pts to my 18pts. I broke and managed to win the next rack 10-0. We split the next rack 4-4. Going into the final rack we needed 4pts apiece. I made a ball on the break and ran 3 balls for the victory. That was my biggest come from behind victory ever. I was so pumped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Nervousness is pretty typical when you join a new team. Since you're playing pretty well, do you feel pressure to win, you know, as the "new guy"?

Wally~~used to get nervous, not so much anymore. <hr /></blockquote>

i guess the pressure is there some. not so much that it is an important match, but the fact that i guess i am supposed to be such a strong player. i have recently started to really pick up my game, playing a lot of 9ball in the ph, and my consistency and knowledge has grown immensly. it seems that after 6 weeks in league, i am still a little unsure of my position sl wise, i am pretty comfortable as a 5, but i kinda like just shooting in a bar for fun, without the added drama. so maybe it does bother me that i am "supposed" to be a sl-5 or whatever. i will stay in league because i really enjoy pool, i will work through this if it happens again.

and it is not that i dont think i am good enough, cuz i can shoot a little bit. the thing is that there is so much sandbagging, that people automatically think i am sandbagging when i miss a fairly easy shot. especially after running a rackor 5-6 ball run with nice position play.

mike

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 06:13 AM
that is a great win, last week was the first time i felt nervousness at a pool table, and it scared me. even after i won the match 4-0 i was not happy, didn't calm down, nothing, still with that real anxious feeling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-09-2003, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i started getting real tense. heart was racing a bit, hair on the back of my neck standing up etc. i fealt real nervous. i had to keep stepping away from the table. even mid run, i would step back, puff my cig, and sip my beer just to calm down some.

<hr /></blockquote>I've heard of that happening from static electricity. Was there any thunderstorm activity in the area?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i hope this is not something i have to deal with every time i step up to a pool table.<hr /></blockquote>

I find I feel different at different times. I don't always feel the same way. I also find I can have a considerable effect on how I feel in the future by varying the actions I take in the present.

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 07:25 AM
no thunderstorms /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif i think it was mental, hope it's no the start of a trend

cheesemouse
03-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Wolf,
There is always the possiblity that you have jumped a skill level (one of those pool mysterys) and your body is not comfortable where your new pool mind is taking you. It could be as simple as excepting the obvious new feelings as a 'new pair of shoes' syndrome. JAT... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 08:24 AM
that makes sense. hopefully i'll grow into this new sl

cheesemouse
03-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Here's a link with some articles that may help your head, if your into the sport phyco side of the game.

http://www.performance-media.com/articles.asp

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 11:07 AM
thanks cheesemouse good stuff there...

Scott Lee
03-09-2003, 11:16 AM
SharpCat...This is one of the reasons I like the way APA plays 9-ball! The crescendo of the match can easily come down to ONE ball...LOL...even in the middle of a game! That creates nervous excitement for both players, imo! Congrats on your come-from-behind victory!

Scott Lee

bluewolf
03-09-2003, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SharpCat:</font><hr> I am a sl5 in 9-Ball. Two weeks ago I played an sl6 and he only need 8pts to my 18pts. I broke and managed to win the next rack 10-0. We split the next rack 4-4. Going into the final rack we needed 4pts apiece. I made a ball on the break and ran 3 balls for the victory. That was my biggest come from behind victory ever. I was so pumped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you were playing super!!

Laura

SharpCat
03-09-2003, 09:22 PM
I played very good those last 3 racks. Made a great safety in the 10-0 rack. Played 2 nice safetys in the next rack. Finally I made a ball on break and made the next 3 for the win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was a great match.

SecaucusFats
03-10-2003, 03:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> some of you know i have been posting my apa experience on a weekly basis. here is another installment /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i moved up to an sl-5 this week after beat a sl-4 last week 3-0 convincingly. i am happy with the sl-5 and i hope i settle in there.

this week i was matched up against a 4 so the race was 4-3.
about 2 games in(i was up 2-0 at this point, winning fairly easy) i started getting real tense. heart was racing a bit, hair on the back of my neck standing up etc. i couldn't figure it out. the match wasn't important, and i was winning pretty easily besides. but for what ever reason, i fealt real nervous. i had to keep stepping away from the table to calm myself down. even mid run, i would step back, puff my cig, and sip my beer just to calm down some.

now i wound up winning 4-0 in 15-16 (game 1 and 3 were 1 and 2 innings, games 2and 4 were 5 and 6 innings), but i still was jittery for the rest of the night. i hope this is not something i have to deal with every time i step up to a pool table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mike <hr /></blockquote>

Nervousness is part of the game. When you see a player who acts like he has ice water in his veins don't think he doesn't get nervous. All of us get nervous. It's a fact of life. The best players are those who manage to play their best regardless of their nerves. You did fine, hey what else do you want--you won! You had nervousness but more importantly, you had courage.

Fats