PDA

View Full Version : The Zone - Please read B/4 posting to this thread

socrates
03-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Pleaed read guidlines to this thread before posting:

There has been a lot of interesting discussion recently regarding dead stroke, being in the zone, etc.

Honestly, I am not smart enough to understand all of the left brain-right brain, neurons, protons, neutrons and croutons that might be involved in being in the zone.

I have; however, read enough to believe there is considerable merit in the school of thought that says that in order to enter into and/or return to the zone you must be aware of the sensations, feelings, experiences observations, etc. that occur when you are in this state.

With that thought in mind and to benefit from the collective knowledge of those in this forum I thought it might be fun and informative to have a thread specifically dedicated to completing the following sentence:

You know you are in the zone when ........

I might suggest that this thread solely contain posts specifically related to completing this sentence. If there is a need to debate, pontificate or otherwise add comments related to post completing this sentence please start a new thread.

Hopefully, we will then end up with a clean thread that we can print out or come back to that contains the sensations, feelings, observations and experiences that we have felt when we are playing in the zone.

With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy and to all of the more knowledgable posters in this forum I will take the first shot at it with a couple of thoughts:

You know you are in the zone when the only thing that exists and that you are aware of is the 50 X 100 inches of playing surface and the spheres on this surface and their relationship to each other.

You know you are in the zone when you are about to execute your stroke on a very challenging shot on the game ball for the set and a waitress walks through your line of vision.. you rechalk you cue, perform your pre-shot ceremony again, execute the shot and drop the game ball in the heart of the pocket AND .. you are not even aware that you performed your pre-shot ceremony a second time.

You know you are in the zone when you feel what Tony Jackin so eloquently stated:

"When I am in this state, everything is pure, vividly clear. I'm a cocoon of concentration. And if I can put myself into that cocoon, I'm invincible...I'm living fully in the present." - Tony Jacklin, British Open Champion.

Lets have some fun - I look forward to seeing others thoughts and comments.

Scott Lee
03-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Steve...Interesting thread!

You know you're "in the zone", when you KNOW a tenth of a second after you make contact with the CB, whether or not the shot is going in, and if the CB is going where you think it is...using the three senses used to play pool... touch, hearing, and sight!

Many players use tactile and visual sensation to "feel" the shot. Listening to (being aware of) the sound of the stroke, and how hard the OB goes into the pocket are additional feedback on the quality of the stroke.

Scott

bluewolf
03-07-2003, 12:29 PM
I am not sure if what I have expereinced is the same 'zone' that players speak of. I cannot adequately put it into words, but I will try.

It was like a trance. Visual stimuli around me or words spoken to me seemed very far away and I could not focus on them. They seemed unimportant. My body, my senses, the table, the balls, the cue, the stroke were one. There was no separation. There was no thinking. From the hand on the cue, the stroke, the contact with the cb, the hit on the ob and the pocket, it was all in flow, all in the one. There was no concern about balls in the pocket, or how many went in there or the ones that missed, none of that matter. There were no thoughts of stance, stroke bridge, these were not even noticed. There were no thoughts of english, ball speed, position, yet the cb ended up where it needed to be. But there was no attachment to any outcome. It was all the one, me, the table, the cue, the balls all part of the universal flow. No definition, no limit.

Laura

Predator314
03-07-2003, 12:33 PM
You know you're in the zone when the game is not mechanical. It's about "feel". The mechanics are just coming naturally.

wolfsburg2
03-07-2003, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> You know you're in the zone when the game is not mechanical. It's about "feel". The mechanics are just coming naturally. <hr /></blockquote>

good point.

you know you are in the zone when you just wlk up tho the table and shoot without hesitation, or the thought of missing even entering your mind.

Sid_Vicious
03-07-2003, 12:48 PM
I know I'm in the zone when someone compliments me on shots I made back in the progression of a run, and I honestly say, after pondering the thought, "What was the lay of the table, I can't remember that shot." Other times I'd make these shots, I remember being internally proud and carrying that moment past the event, and usually missing easier shots at the end of the run.

I also know I am in the zone when I hear people talking in the background as if they were in a back room, behind a wall and out of sight, while at the time they are railbirds to my table. "The sweet sound of non threatening buzz."

sid

Karatemom
03-07-2003, 01:50 PM
You know you're in the zone when:

there are no thoughts, no doubts. There is just the cb, ob, table, and cue. There is no opponent and there is no background noise. It is you and the table and the shot.

Heide

Kato
03-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Everything is pure, my brain fogs over, every shot is known, every shot is perfect. I know I'm in the zone when I shoot a ball, know it's in the pocket, grab the chalk and walk to wear the cue ball is going to stop.

Other than great sex or playing with my nieces, "Dead Stroke" is the most wonderful feeling in the world.

Kato

Steve Lipsky
03-07-2003, 03:25 PM
I know I am in dead stroke when the lay of the table is absolutely inconsequential.

Rod
03-07-2003, 03:36 PM
I have to use a couple of words from TJ because it is the way I feel. I'm not smart enough on the L/R brain issue either.

When I am in the zone.
My mind and body are completely relaxed with supreme confidence. Everything is vividly clear.The balls have a perfect outline and my eyes lock on to the target like a lazer. The arm and cue move together in perfect unison. I visualize the outcome of shots with it happening near perfection. If it is not perfect it will make little difference in my world. I feel super human nothing is a problem I can handle anything. I am aware of surroundings, should something happen it's in and out and on with the game. I don't remember most shots or balls run except for monster strokes or those little special ones that few people would notice. That builds a high in my world to an extreme level.

Rod

nAz
03-07-2003, 04:34 PM
YOu know your in da zone when just like Scott wrote...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>

You know you're "in the zone", when you KNOW a tenth of a second after you make contact with the CB, whether or not the shot is going in, and if the CB is going where you think it is...using the three senses used to play pool... touch, hearing, and sight!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
03-07-2003, 04:43 PM
I have TWO veiws of what the "zone" might mean.

First one:
The Zone is a glimpse of what your game could be if you practiced and competed on a regular basis. More table time, always making room for improvement, being critical of your game and reacting to the flaws and eliminating them.

And, I think there are progressive 'zones';

I use to think I was in a 'zone' when I could clear an open table and get out.

I also thought I was in a 'zone' when I could break and run an 8 ball rack.

Then breaking and running consecutive 8 ball racks.

Then getting out on an open 9 ball rack, then the break and run and finally stringing multiple racks together.

Second "Zone" thoughts.

The PROS play at a level that I can only dream about. To Me this is the ultimate level of the "ZONE".

If you approach your practice and your competition experiences and routines, in a well scheduled, productive manner, you will experience your next level of the "ZONE"

Eric.
03-07-2003, 04:56 PM
You know you're in the zone when:

-there is no hesitation or indecision

-you run out and can't remember half the shots

-you can settle into your stance and become VERY comfortable

-your body is not fighting itself

Eric

bluewolf
03-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Great Tom!!!!

I guess if a person defines it by their play vs by their level of consciousness..

It also seems that there are levels of 'zoneness' like a total zone vs a mini zone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and then there is the 'outer zone' discovered by Patrick /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Laura

cheesemouse
03-07-2003, 05:05 PM
I know I'm in the zone when I make the winning shot for a match and I think there are more games to play...

...or when someone asks me who I just beat and I have no idea...

Eric.
03-07-2003, 05:23 PM
amen, Cheese.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-07-2003, 05:49 PM
"Levels of Zoneness" ... sounds good to me..

I think the way I play now, I would have considered it a "zone" 10 years ago. I almost never consider the "zone" anymore. I have good days and bad days.. on the good days, I can play with the best around here. I am happy with the amount of good days I have. At 55, just walking around the table is a good feeling.

But, NEVER, have I played at the the level of the "PRO Zone". Running multiple racks in the highest level of competion is what I consider the "Ultimate Pro Zone"

bigbro6060
03-07-2003, 06:15 PM
you know you are in zone when you have no doubts, no second guessing, you are perfectly calm, you see the ball going in before you've shot it, you aren't thinking, you are just doing

Professor
03-07-2003, 07:41 PM
You know you are in the zone when you are about to execute your stroke on a very challenging shot on the game ball for the set and a waitress walks through your line of vision.. you execute the shot and drop the game ball in the heart of the pocket AND .. you were never even aware that the waitress was in the room. For that matter she might have even asked what you wanted to order, you never knew it. That's being in the zone!

03-07-2003, 11:25 PM
I never play in the zone, I just run out on the other guy every time so there's no way for me to lose. Wonder Dog

bluewolf
03-08-2003, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> I never play in the zone, I just run out on the other guy every time so there's no way for me to lose. Wonder Dog <hr /></blockquote>

Dawgs do not need to be in the zone,wd. They are in dawg.

Laura

snipershot
03-08-2003, 09:16 PM
You know your in the zone when......

You hit the OB and don't watch to see if it goes in, you look at your next shot as you hear the OB drop, you do this on every shot until the table is clean.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2003, 09:35 AM
I was in the zone yesterday for approx. 27 minutes and 40 seconds. It was the first time in a while. Maybe because I've been practicing again. Duh!

Like a gentle stream flowing over the rocks, from my brain, to the arm, to the cue, to the CB, to the OB, to the pocket. Felt pretty good. Then after that I played like crap the rest of the afternoon.

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I know I am in dead stroke when the lay of the table is absolutely inconsequential. <hr /></blockquote>That's it.

Fred

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Professor:</font><hr> You know you are in the zone when you are about to execute your stroke on a very challenging shot on the game ball for the set and a waitress walks through your line of vision.. you execute the shot and drop the game ball in the heart of the pocket AND .. you were never even aware that the waitress was in the room. <hr /></blockquote>... and she left you her phone number.

Fred

Predator314
03-10-2003, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> I know I'm in the zone when I make the winning shot for a match and I think there are more games to play...

...or when someone asks me who I just beat and I have no idea... <hr /></blockquote>

That's a good one. I've been there.

Yuppie
03-10-2003, 10:41 AM

You don't even hear your friend heckling you on every shot as they sit their watching you run 12 balls (my current high run - what can I say? I'm still learning).

Bob_in_Cincy
03-10-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr> .... a thread specifically dedicated to completing the following sentence:

I might suggest that this thread solely contain posts specifically related to completing this sentence. If there is a need to debate, pontificate or otherwise add comments related to post completing this sentence please start a new thread. .............
<hr /></blockquote>

In the spirit of the above, I offer:

.......you're not consciously thinking about anything, you're just doing.

Regards,
Bob_in_Cincy &lt;You don't really "know" when you're in the zone, you only know when you're not.

Jay M
03-10-2003, 01:06 PM
For me, being in the zone is strange. It's a totally focussed feeling, not just subconsciously, but in actuality. For those that have seen the movie "The Legend of Bagger Vance", there is a scene at the end where he "sees" the path that the ball will have to take to fall in the cup. I see a similar thing. The edges of the path the cue ball will have to take to pocket the object ball are fuzzy, but right down the middle is a very clear "path". I know if I see that path and shoot down it, I will make the shot. There's no question, there's no hesitation, I don't even really need to aim. I shoot down the path and the ball goes in.

Yeah, I know, it sounds weird and maybe even a little bit psycho, but that is how I know I'm in the zone. I see the shots...literally.

Jay M

Ralph S.
03-10-2003, 01:15 PM
You know you are in the zone when..

you dont give a damn what your next shot is.

you arent busy concentrating on the mechanics of your stroke.

when you are completely oblivious to the brawl gowing on in the room. &lt;just for you Scott&gt; LOL.

smfsrca
03-10-2003, 01:33 PM
You know you are in the zone.....
.....when being in the zone is all that you have to know.
Otherwise, you can only know that you might have been in the zone. The zone is similar to self-hypnosis. You become so immersed and engaged in the thing you are doing that you become a part of it. You no longer percieve yourself as something separate and therfore cannot recognize that you are there.
It is similar to having driven over a particular route and having no memory of having done so, other than the logical conclusion that you must have done so because you could not have arrived at where you are any other way.

03-10-2003, 01:40 PM
You know you are in the zone when:

The pockets double in width, the balls become smaller, and you could drive a truck through the pack to get out and not remember doing it.

You make the final ball in a run and your opponent looks at you and asks you how many more racks you are going to run, and you didn't even realize you ran more than one.

The hustle and bustle noise of a bar gets subdued into a quiet buzz of inconsequentiality...and nothing can break your concentration aside from your own will.

ok...that's my two cents. Steve Lipsky had a good one too, that they lay of the table is inconsequential...so true.

03-10-2003, 11:32 PM
I know I am in the zone when I am running my 3rd rack in a row with my nose, they begin to cook a nice juicy T bone on the open grill close to my table, somebody walks by with a female beagle on a leash, and she is a real hottie, and I ignore both &amp; run out &amp; finish off da bum I am playin. This is when I really know I am in da zone. Wonder Dog.
Why cant they make the key boards bigger? Try typin with your toe nail.

Leviathan
03-11-2003, 05:59 AM
You know you're in the zone when you aren't fighting your stroke. You know you're in the zone when you aim with perfect ease and complete confidence. You know you're in the zone when all of your attention is focused on the shot and the leave, and you're completely unconcerned about winning or losing or looking good.--D.M.

#### leonard
03-11-2003, 07:11 AM
Rod when I was running the Albany Golden Cue a fellow came in announcing he would play anyone so I took him up on his offer. What did you want to play for? He replied 150 points for $50 . We were playing on the table in front of the desk on the lower level. During the game the phone rang and I interrupted my play and walked to answer the phone tripping up the stairs, dropping my cue on the floor, while I picked up the cue I reached for the phone. It twisted out of my hand due to the short armor cable hitting the desk with a resounding clang. Finally I answered the phone hung up and walked back to the table and finished running 115 and out. After the game I walked back to the desk and Harry a local pool detective walks over to me and said your amazing. You walk to answer the phone and you trip up the stairs, drop the phone and then go back to the pooltable and run 115 and out. ####

03-11-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr>
Yeah, I know, it sounds weird and maybe even a little bit psycho, but that is how I know I'm in the zone. I see the shots...literally.
Jay M <hr /></blockquote>
I must be weird too, because that's what I see when I'm in the zone. It's almost like playing Virtual Pool with aiming assistance turned on. Also, when I'm in the zone every shot comes to me as an epiphany. There are no concious thoughts about what I should do next.