PDA

View Full Version : bifocals and shooting pool

dmgwalsh
03-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I've noticed when I shoot lately I have trouble seeing the ball well. sometimes I find myself looking over the rims and squinting rather than through my glasses. Does any one else have this experience with bifocals. I was thinking maybe I should just use my non bifocals.

Ward
03-07-2003, 02:54 PM
I have used no line bi's for several years with no problems... I just make sure that my frames are adjusted properly...

later

Pizza Bob
03-07-2003, 03:47 PM
I, too, have used no-line bifocals for a number of years and love them. Mine are Varilux (I'm convinced they're better than the generic brand - no reason, but my optician is a friend, and I trust him, and he steered me to the Varilux). There are multiple focal points up through the center of the lenses, so it is usually pretty easy to get things in proper focus at any distance. This feature comes in handy on the pool table and the computer. Works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ward
03-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Bob

I use the varlux (sp) and the only problem I have is if the frames get out of line. I tend to fall asleep in my recliner a lot so I have to have them adjusted often...

later
Ward

L.S. Dennis
03-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Bob,
Maybe what you should try is a pair of pool sport glasses with the adjustable nose bridge. I have a pair that seem to work fine. Better yet get some contact lens for pool, and eliminater the glasses altogether!

Troy
03-07-2003, 07:39 PM
I've had Verilux bi-foc's for about 10 years. The main problem was looking through the top rim so I got frames that ride high enough. I just need to remember to keep them up on my nose bridge.

Troy

SecaucusFats
03-07-2003, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I've noticed when I shoot lately I have trouble seeing the ball well. sometimes I find myself looking over the rims and squinting rather than through my glasses. Does any one else have this experience with bifocals. I was thinking maybe I should just use my non bifocals. <hr /></blockquote>

There are a variety of shooting glasses that work beautifully for pool. The frames and lenses are oversize and the nose bridge is adjustable so the glasses sit up higher and the frame doesn't interfere with you line of sight.I recommend a pair with just the distance prescription. You can get them from Decot, Carl Zeiss, Remington and other manufacturers do a quick Google search and you'll come up with a few sources. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I tried contacts, but smoke would irritate my eyes to no end, and air conditioning would make the lenses dry out and become uncomfortable.

Secaucus Fats

03-08-2003, 11:04 AM
I too have BiFocals, but chose to do away with that form of Vision Correction when I play Pool. I corroberated with a local Opthalmologist &amp; we came up with a single pair of lens that are good for 10 Feet. By the way, the vision area looking through a lens is about the size of a quarter, so If you get caught looking sideways through your lens.. you're probably gonna miss the shot.
The other modification was to bend the Frames into a configuration that allowed the focal plane of the lens to be perpendicular to my shot.

INSTANT gratification in my level of play.. INSTANT rise in Shot Making capability.

The other problem the Opthalmologist &amp; I discussed was DEPTH Perception. Because I am NEAR SIGHTED, things are closer in my brain's perception. That handicap can be overcome by planning &amp; concentrating on the next position of the Cue ball (i.e. add a few inches to the position of the Cue balls next resting place &amp; fix that point in your mind).

NBC-BOB
03-11-2003, 01:46 PM
I had a pair of glasses made with a larger frame and they have the progressive type lenses in them.The eye doctor said it would take me 2 or 3 wks to get use to the progressive type lenses and he was right.Now I get up and shoot without thinking about it and the glasses help a lot.
Oh I also had the antiglare option put on them and this helps a lot with the side light glare from adjacent tables.