PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of pro player Marty Herman?

cycopath
03-07-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm making a deal with a guy on eBay with a cue. He claims to be a pro-player. I don't know if he means this era or what. Anyone heard of a Marty Herman? I haven't.

Steve Lipsky
03-07-2003, 05:11 PM
He's just under pro-speed. He's beaten a lot of them, and although not a threat to win a pro tournament, he does play real sporty.

He's quite a character as well.

- Steve

cheesemouse
03-07-2003, 05:11 PM
the guy is in the player finder on AZ:

http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showplayer2003.cfm?playernum=871

Ken
03-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Not this era. He's played on the pro camel tour and plays a lot on the joss tour. I believe I saw him get a first in a Joss event a couple years ago but it's not listed at AZBilliards. Has Earl's temperament.
KenCT

Brady_Behrman
03-07-2003, 08:53 PM
He can impersonate Grady, Earl, Sigel, anybody..Real character!

NH_Steve
03-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah he sure is a character! Pretty good player, but has a penchant for getting under people's skin, and apparently has been booted from events before. I understand he wheels and deals in cues.

Vicki
03-08-2003, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> ...has a penchant for getting under people's skin... <hr /></blockquote>

You can say that again.

Grady
03-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Not the same guy, Brady. The only impersonation this guy does is himself.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Apparently Marty Herman is aka "SMOOTH AS SILK"

http://www.azbilliards.com/cgi-shl/azwebbbs.pl?read=9667

Steve Lipsky
03-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Grday's right. The Marty that Brady is talking about is Marty Saworski (sp?). Very talented at those impersonations; he does both voice and table demeanor/stroke.

- Steve

AzHousePro
03-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Marty Sawinski is the guy who does the impersonations.

Marty Herman goes by "Smooth as Silk" on my forums.

Mike

Brady_Behrman
03-08-2003, 07:54 PM
I stand corected...Herman is the bald guy..Comes to the OPEN every year!

Vagabond
03-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Marty S is the impersonator and an excellent player and he moved from california to Detroit.Registered Nurse by profession.Marty Hermon is from Boston area.One time this Herman was drawn against Jim Rempe in US Open( ? 1996).Jim asked me if I knew this guy.I told him that I know this guy and he(Jim) has to kick him till he(Marty) falls and not to let him get up and he has to keep kicking him otherwise he (Marty)can kick u(Jim).Jim Rempe listened to my words and beat him 11-1.Jim made an error and hence marty won one game.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

03-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Marty Herman is one of the biggest characters that I have seen in the game. Funny story about him...

At the Rhode Island State Championships held every February at Snookers Bar and Grill in Providence, RI, Marty is in the one loss side of the tourney, playing for a guaranteed 4th place finish. His draw was Ginky. In a race to nine on the front table, both players played extremely well, and made some mistakes too. In the end it was a hill-hill match, with Ginky breaking. Ginky broke and, if I remember correctly, scratched, pocketing the cue in the left side pocket after a bad kiss. While Ginky calmly walked back to his chair, obviously disapointed, Marty gets to the table and proceeds to run the balls out, wiping his forehead after every shot, which by this time in the match was dripping with sweat. He gets to the 7 ball, with perfect position, and, of all things, jars it. While everyone in the room was in shock at this, as it was a sure win on his part, no one was prepared for what came as soon as Marty saw that he had missed the shot, because above all the "ohhh's and ahhhh's" came a horrific scream, followed by a couple of thumps. Upon seeing that the seven wasn't going to fall, Marty screamed at the top of his lungs and promptly passed out cold...(I'm sure that he was doing it for show and that he wasn't actually out of it). Well, needless to say, everyone in the crowd, aside from the people who had side bets on Marty or had a part of him in the calcutta were trying not to laugh. Even Ginky couldn't get out of his seat for a minute or two, because it looked like he knew if he moved a muscle, he would explode in a fit of laughter.

Just thought I would share a truly memorable moment for me...it's something that I will never forget, and I don't think that the people who were there will forget it either. Hope you all enjoyed the story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif