PDA

View Full Version : objective opinion on pool table brands

03-08-2003, 05:58 PM
HELP! I want to buy a pool table NOW. I am ignorant of the brands though. In my area, the local choices for "furniture" tables are: Brunswick, Olhausen, Imperial, and World of Leisure. All of the tables have comparable looking models. Brunswick and Olhausen are higher in price, but are they really worth spending more? Can anyone give me their experience with the Imperial or World of Leisure brands? Thanks in advance any speedy replies, I want to buy within two weeks.

03-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Boy is that a loaded question! Getting an objective opinion on pool table brands is going to be about as tough as getting objective opinions on brands of cars, ketchup, and personal hygiene products. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ask 10 different people their preference and you'll get at least 3-4 different answers. At least 3 of the brands you mention are good (I don't know enough about World of Leisure to comment, I've seen their ads but the brand name reminds me of a pool & spa store brand so I've not paid attention to them). Are you a serious player who wants a professional, tournament style table, or are you a casual player who wants a fancy looking piece of furniture? Or a combination?

Having said all that, I'll go ahead and state my preference for Brunswick and Diamond. I own a Brunswick, and I feel they are definitely a top-end table, quality-built, but with a top-end price to match. Brunswick tables can probably be had in more styles than any other brand, with new prices starting at around $2000 and going up to the sky from there (I've heard of $100,000+ Brunswicks). If you like variety and the prestige of a brand name, you can't go wrong with Brunswick. Just make sure if you buy a Brunswick to buy from an authorized dealer. Check the Brunswick website for a dealer list. If you don't, warranty and support from Brunswick will likely be non-existant. An authorized dealer is also usually a good sign of a good business, as Brunswick is very picky and is quick to pull out of dealerships that get lots of complaints.

Diamond tables tend to favor function over beauty, with far fewer styles than Brunswick, and cost quite a bit less than Brunswick for a given type of table -- for example, Brunswick's Gold Crown is considered their standard "pro" style tournament table, and costs 50%-100% more than the Diamond's "Pro" model. Diamond's quality is excellent, however, and Diamond is a major player in the pro and amateur tournament scene. The Diamond Pro table will probably be my next table purchase.

If you have local pool halls in your area, check them out for purchasing a quality used table. PH's often replace their old Gold Crown's and are a good source of bargains. Also check your classifieds and estate sales -- heirs who don't play pool often have no idea how much an inherited table is worth and often unload them dirt cheap. I've also seen Gold Crown's being sold on eBay for good prices, if you're willing to rent a truck and drive to pick them up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

snipershot
03-08-2003, 08:48 PM
The brands you mentioned are all quality tables, I will state my opinion on what you should buy,

go brunswick or go home!

This is just my opinion, I love brunswick pool tables and although they are high in price I think their worth every cent.

L.S. Dennis
03-08-2003, 09:05 PM
I bought an old Brunswick Viscount table from a house that was being sold and I did have to pick it up myself with a truck and a friend. Breaking it down was a pain, and a lot of parts (it was the cheap table that Brunswick produced in those years) ended up breaking as I took the thing apart.

All that being said you can't go wrong witha new Brunswick for sure, even at a higher cost than the others you mentioned.

The only experience I've had with World Of Leisure tables was not a good one. There was kind of an upscale yuppie pool hall in San Francisco that put them in. They were 4x8's had purple cloth and were terrible!

If you can afford it, go with the Brunswick, or the Diamond. Think of it as an investment! As the old saying goes,"you get what you pay for"!

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 07:20 AM
i am going to be purchasing a table in the next week or two also. i am going with olhausen based on rep and price.

Fred Agnir
03-09-2003, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Renee:</font><hr> HELP! I want to buy a pool table NOW. I am ignorant of the brands though. In my area, the local choices for "furniture" tables are: Brunswick, Olhausen, Imperial, and World of Leisure. <hr /></blockquote>Ok, let's keep focused on furniture tables, since that's the question at hand, right?

I'm not a fan of Olhausens, and probably never will be. Others love them, but they've never done it for me. IMO, Olhausens play differently than all the other tables. The pockets on the many Olhausen that I've played on are shaped wrong. And, IMO, the cushion bounce doesn't match with other tables. There ought to be standards that manufacturers must adhere to.

The Brunswick Montabello is one of my favorite tables, but it's price tag is ~ $8K. No thanks, not today. But, it's a beautiful, bold table. It's a man's furniture table. Yeah.

I've only played on two Imperial table models and I have to say that they were some of the least solid tables I've played on for what was supposed to be there "high end."

World of Leisure used to be a player, if not *the* player in the furniture table industry with the then beast of the furniture tables, the Trafalfgar. But, I think they've fallen off the player field of late.

When I crawled under every furniture table that I cared to, I came to one choice: the Gandy Alexandria. I liked the cross-member construction, the playability, the solidness, and the price. It's my standard choice when people ask about furniture tables.

As with every manufacturer out there, they have their high models, and low model. Go with the higher-end, and you won't be disappointed.

Two other furniture tables, IMO, to consider if possible are:

The Connely Ultimate
The Schmidt Elite

Fred

cheesemouse
03-09-2003, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i am going to be purchasing a table in the next week or two also. i am going with olhausen based on rep and price. <hr /></blockquote>

Not from the 'BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS" side of the fence. I am completely spoiled by playing on a Diamond Pro. The more I play on it the more beautiful it becomes. I would much rather have someone say "Man, this table rolls great" than "What beautiful legs you have on your table"........

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 08:41 AM
i have limited space for a table(7footer will fit, but that's it) also my price range is not so high. i was quoted $220 with delivery install, upgraded accesory kit, and wall rack. that was for an olhausen. i can't seem to do any better than that for a 3pc 1" slate table.

cycopath
03-09-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>I am completely spoiled by playing on a Diamond Pro. ...I would much rather have someone say "Man, this table rolls great" than "What beautiful legs you have on your table"........ <hr /></blockquote>Amen. I feel the same way. I'd rather the table perform than be just aesthetically pleasing. Actually I kinda like the commercial look anyway.

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 12:33 PM
i agree to a point, but having bought this house with a pool table in mind, one of the reasons the wife will go for it is that you can get a nice looking table. personally i would put any good playing table in the house, but as i don't want to upset the little lass, especially since i am getting what i want(pool table) i must take her input on the matter very seriously /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

03-09-2003, 03:14 PM
I have had the chance to build several brands out of the box for all mmajor companies you are talking about! Do you want a table that looks pretty or plays good is the question? brunswick and olhausen are both good choices, you need to decide if you want home or commercial style table if you go with commercial style for playability, go with the gold crown or centurion from brunswick. if you want leather pockets and looks and also good playability, both brunswick and olhausen are good choices, one of the main differences between the 2 is brunswick has superspeed cushions where as the olhausen has accu-fast cushions! so maybe you should get an opinion on what cushions people like better. If you cant decide go with the king of tables Brunswick! also check out Peter Vitale tables,very nice quality tables with lots of hardwoods! good luck

Gayle in MD
03-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi there,
Just thought I would add a couple thoughts to this question. I think it is really a shame to be in a hurry when making this decision. Why not give yourself some time to consider exactly what you want in a table.

If you really love the game, but are new to it, your requirements in a table may very likely change.

It took me three or four months to really think it all through.

Originally, I thought I wanted a furniture table and nothing would do but a beautiful furniture style table. Looking back now, I know I would have been making a terrible mistake with that type of table.

I wanted a table that would be challenging, and hence, through practice, would enhance the improvment of my game. Also, wanted to play on a table comparable to the tables used in tournaments.

Eventually, I decided on the Diamond Pro table, and have been very happy with it. Someone mentioned Vitalie, which is a very good furniture table. Also, Diamond makes several furniture style tables, very nice also. But, be sure the furiture style is really what you want. There is a big difference between the two styles, and if you think you will ever be serious about your game, you should definately take more time to make your decision, especially in regard to furniture style, versus commercial, or pro style.

If, however, you feel sure now, that you are only wanting a pretty table in your home, that will be fun for you and your friends and family, and will play nicely, then by all means, disregard my concerns.

Hope this helps...
Gayle in Md.,,feel free to e-mail if you wish.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

03-17-2003, 02:35 AM
I am seriously considering the purchase of a new table as
I currently play on an antique Brunswick. After looking at Diamond Pro and Brunswick Gold Crown, in my opinion the Gabriel has them all beat in terms of craftmanship and play. At least look at this brand BEFORE you make your decision.