PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little help. One pocket

Kato
03-09-2003, 02:08 AM
I'm playing my first ever money match of one pocket against another inexperienced one hole player. Looking for some advice from experienced one hole players on how to approach the match.

I'm the better all around player, how should I proceed?

Kato~~~interested in good opinion.

Gerry
03-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Kato,
I'd approach it like any other match. Personally I have trouble when I try to change my game to suit a player/match. My game is generally powerful offense, and that's how I took on my first 1-p match with a more experienced/defensive type 1-p player. He just got me in the end, but I had him on his heels getting out when he did'nt expect it!. When I learned to move a little, He did'nt wanna play anymore?:).Anyway I guess it depends on your playing style.Here are some of my thoughts/rules I play by.

>Get balls to my pocket, and leave the cueball SAFE.
>Selling out is not an option!1 ball is'nt worth the game!
>When you have easy banks shoot the bank! even if he has a ball hanging,you're supposed to make it anyway.(Gradys rule)
>If it's worth giving up a hanging ball to protect your opponent from running out, then it's just as worth it to give up a ball to protect your position (balls in front of your pocket).(Jeremy Jones rule I think).

Good luck....Gerry

rackmup
03-09-2003, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm the better all around player, how should I proceed? <hr /></blockquote>

When it's your break, pocket a ball and then proceed (with caution, of course) to make seven more balls. Your opponent will not stand a chance.

Always willing to help a pal that drives two hours each way for a "Death Match".

Regards,

Ken (the "Kato" of Texas)

03-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Force him to make the first mistake. Keep hooking him. Don't worry about making too many balls right away. Keep chipping at him until he opens the table for you.

Troy
03-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Play defense, moving balls away from his pocket &amp; leave whitey safe. Frustrate him.

Do NOT shoot at one ball unless you can get a few more. Leave that one ball til later.

When you get the chance, run out, but remember to leave safe when/if the run ends.

Troy

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 10:13 AM
i say just play your game. don't change a thing. if you are the better player, abd you shoot your game you should come out ahead.

Popcorn
03-09-2003, 11:40 AM
If he is in fact inexperienced, he will make a million mistakes. You won't need to take any risks at all trying to get yourself a shot or force mistakes. He will just give the games away. That is why you can give so much weight in one pocket, a weak player, will hand you every game. When two weak players play one pocket, the one with the patience will usually win.

03-09-2003, 01:53 PM
BET HIGH AND IF YOU LOSE PRESS THE BET AGAIN

03-09-2003, 02:03 PM
If it ain't the shortstop from Rotterdam. You don't need to start posting yet because the next CCB tornement isn't til September /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

rackmup
03-09-2003, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A.L.F.:</font><hr> You don't need to start posting yet because the next CCB tornement isn't til September <hr /></blockquote>

Give K.B. a break...he's up to eleven posts since 06/05/2002!

Regards,

Ken (doesn't have a life = lots of posts and K.B. does = 11 posts)

NH_Steve
03-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Here's about all you need to know:

"Play your safeties to lead to scoring chances, and play your scoring chances to lead to safeties" -- quote, me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
03-09-2003, 08:29 PM
How do you categorize an experienced one pocket player. I have experience but not what you are stiving for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Heck, rackmup beats me soundly when we play, but I tend to play better against Onepocketchamp. I cannot beat either so I am an experienced loser. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I say play like crazy and act dumb when you whip him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif At least that is what I would do.

eg8r

dddd
03-09-2003, 09:04 PM
bank while controling speed of the cue ball for sure, and hopefully the object ball. keeping him shooting to remove balls from your pocket will be to your advantage.
this is just a generalization but "new" players seems to want to move balls uptable and the game will become a series of shooting straight backs and playing cue ball back to the rail. as the balls move farther uptable this will become more difficult and somewhere someone will let the cue ball run away and leave some shots. with this in mind cluster some balls along his rail that do not go into his pocket, this prevents his shooting at the striaght backs easily and allows you some measure of flexibility of placement of the cue ball in a uptable suitation (you wont sell out if you leave q up there as long as the balls are tied up)

and in all shots remember there will be plenty of times you are shooting to "miss" really, just playing the ball towards your pocket while positioning cue ball into a place where he cannot shoot to clear your pocket, or bank a ball towards his pocket.

in all things winning and losing is a result of how you place and control the q ball,

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm playing my first ever money match of one pocket against another inexperienced one hole player. Looking for some advice from experienced one hole players on how to approach the match.

I'm the better all around player, how should I proceed?

Kato~~~interested in good opinion. <hr /></blockquote>Has this already happened?

The first mistake I made in my few first times in one-pocket was that I relied on the fact that I was the better all-around player.

The second mistake was to bank balls too hard. It does you no good to miss a bank and leave the ball somewhere where your opponent can bank it offensively.

The third mistake was to play 9-ball the set before. For me, the switch in stroke from 9-ball to one-pocket is quite a change for me.

The fourth mistake was to not recognize the two and three rail banks when leaving the cueball for my opponent. Unless you play a lot of one-pocket, most players are simply not automatically looking at those banking lanes beyond the single-cushion long bank.

Fred

Kato
03-10-2003, 08:43 AM
You know, it's funny, 2 days ago I tell everyone I don't gamble and then Saturday night after a few hundred beers my big mouth got opened up and I shoved both of my feet directly inside of it.

Long story short, I got smoked. He played better than I thought he would and I got some nasty breaks.

Kato~~~the hangover didn't help. I never should have left the house.

cheesemouse
03-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Kato,
Don't beat up on yourself. These guys that say they don't gamble are just kidding themselves. They're just not using money as the chips what they use instead is ego, they lose it they gain it same difference. We're all hypocrites......

the cheese has a bad cold and is looking for a good fight.....heheheh

Voodoo Daddy
03-10-2003, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> You know, it's funny, 2 days ago I tell everyone I don't gamble and then Saturday night after a few hundred beers my big mouth got opened up and I shoved both of my feet directly inside of it.

Kato~~~the hangover didn't help. I never should have left the house. <hr /></blockquote>

See NAZ...you can get drunk on Rolling Rock...just takes a couple hundred of 'em...HAHAHA/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifHAHAHAHA. Poor KATO, I wished I was there to coach ya...beer and all!!!